An SRR loaded compact RFID tag for broadband operation over the UHF RFID band is presented. The antenna structure is composed of a dipole whose arms are symmetrically loaded with square split ring resonators (SRRs) with a short circuited strip between the SRRs. The SRR sections made the antenna inductive and reduced the overall size. The measured read range characteristics of the proposed RFID tag are presented. The proposed tag operates in the entire UHF RFID bands with a maximum read range of 7 meters in the entire elevation angular ranges and over wide azimuthal angular ranges.
2. Rao, K. V. S., P. V. Nikitin, and S. F. Lam, "Antenna design for UHF RFID tags: A review and a practical application," IEEE Transactions on Antennas Propagation, Vol. 53, No. 12, 3870-3876, 2005.
3. Zhang, M. and S. Yan, "A novel dual band dipole antenna for RFID tag," International Conference on Logistics Engineering and Intelligent Transportation Systems, 1-4, Whuhan, China, 2010.
4. Diugwu, C., J. Batchelor, and T. Mathew, "Complementarity in the optimization of RFID dipole tag antennas," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, 1-4, San-Dieg, California, 2008.
5. Nikkari, M., B. Toni, U. Leena, F. Yang, E. Atef, S. Lauri, and M. Kivikoski, "Design and comparison between two general purpose dipole type UHF RFID tag antennas," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, 1-4, San-Diego, California, 2008.
6. Manju, A., K. K. Ajujohn, J. K. Fijo, and T. Mathew, "UHF RFID dipole tag with modified multi-fractal Cantor arms for enhanced read range," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 58, No. 5, 1173-1175, 2016.
7. Pongpaibool, P., W. Wallada, and S. Siwamogsatham, "A thickened and widened feed dipole antenna with an inductive matching loop for a printed UHF RFID tag," International Conference on Information Science, Electronics and Electrical Engineering, 2092-2095, Sapporo, Japan, 2014.
8. Jeon, S., Y. Yu, and J. Choi, "Dual-band slot-coupled dipole antenna for 900MHz and 2.45 GHz RFID tag application," Electronics Letters, Vol. 42, No. 22, 1259-1260, 2006.
9. Choi, Y., U. Kim, J. Kim, and J. Choi, "Design of modified folded dipole antenna for UHF RFID tag," Electronics Letters, Vol. 45, No. 8, 387-389, 2009.
10. Chen, S. L. and K. H. Lin, "Performance of a folded dipole with a closed loop for RFID applications," PIERS Proceedings, 329-331, Prague, Czech Republic, Aug. 27–30, 2007.
11. Genovesi, S. and A. Monorchio, "Low profile three-arm folded dipole antenna for UHF band RFID tags mountable on metallic object," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 9, 1225-1228, 2010.
12. Ryu, H. K. and J. M. Woo, "Miniaturization of rectangular loop antenna using meander line for RFID tags," Electronics Letters, Vol. 43, No. 7, 372-374, 2007.
13. Braaten, B. D., M. Reich, and J. Glower, "A compact meander-line UHF RFID tag antenna loaded with elements found in right/left-handed coplanar waveguide structures," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 8, 1158-1161, 2009.
14. Paredes, F., G. Zamora, F. J. H. Martinez, F. Martin, and J. Bonache, "Dual band UHF RFID tags based on meander-line antennas loaded with spiral resonators," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 10, 768-771, 2011.
15. Chen, H. D. and Y. H. Tsao, "Low profile meandered patch antennas for RFID tags mounted on metallic objects," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 9, 118-121, 2010.
16. Braaten, B. D. and R. P. Scheeler, "Design of passive UHF RFID tag antennas using meta materialbased structure and techniques,", Chapter 4, Radio Frequency Identification Fundamentals and Applications Design Methods and Solutions, First Edition Intech, Croatia, 2010.
17. Ukkonen, L. and L. Sydanheimo, "Impedance matching consideration for passive UHF RFID tag," Asia Pacific Microwave Conference, 2367-2370, Singapore, 2009.
18. Reich, M. T. and C. B. Reich, "UHF RFID impedance matching: When is a T-match not a Tmatch," IEEE International Conference on RFID, 23-30, Orlando, 2014.
19. Pradeep, A., S. Mridula, and P. Mohanan, "Design of an edge-coupled dual ring split-ring resonator," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 53, 45-54, 2011.
20. Pradeep, A., B. Jitha, S. Mridula, B. Paul, C. K. Anandan, and P. Mohanan, "G A optimized SRR calculator," Proceedings of International Conference on Microwave, 800-802, 2008.
21. Daud, N. H., A. Ismail, A. R. H. Alhawari, A. Sali, and A. S. A. Jalal, "Integration of split ring resonators (SRRs) to UHF RFID tag antenna for size reduction," International Conference on Engineering Technology and Technopreneuship (ICE2T), 204-208, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, 2014.
22. Zheng, L. X., Z. Xie, and X. Cen, "A compact RFID reader antenna for UHF near-field and far-field operations," International Journal of Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 2013, 1-5, 2013.
23. Lai, X. Z., Z. M. Xie, Q. Q. Xie, and J. W. Chao, "A SRR based near field RFID antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 33, 133-144, 2012.
24. Jalal, A. S. A., A. Ismail, A. R. H. Alhawari, M. F. A. Rasid, N. K. Noordin, and M. A. Mahdi, "Miniaturized metal mount minkwoski fractal RFID tag antenna with complementary split ring resonator," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 39, 25-36, 2013.
25. Braaten, B. D., "A novel compact UHF RFID tag antenna designed with series connected open complementary split ring resonator (OCSRR) particle," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 58, 3728-3733, 2010.
26. Marrocco, G., "The art of UHF RFID antenna design: Impedance-matching and size reduction techniques," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 50, 66-79, 2008.