A modified Koch fractal shape is used to decrease the dimensions of an antenna and resonates at more than one band for agricultural application. A new feeding technique of aperture coupled method called a non-uniform annular Photonic Band Gap is applied in order to integrate the designed antenna to the active elements. Subsequently, a transmission line transformer is designed using Genetic algorithm to achieve a perfect matching between the active element (amplifier) and the load (antenna). The proposed antenna is designed and fabricated. The results show that the proposed antenna has a high gain of 20.5 dB, 21 dB, and 22 dB at 0.915 GHz, 1.8 GHz and 2.45 GHz respectively with a compact size and low cost. The results predict its prospect as a promising alternative to the conventional one, which is compatibly applicable to agriculture applications especially when multiband function is required.
2. Vadivambal, R., "Assessment of microwave energy for disinfestation of grain,", No. 05, 2005.
3. Ponomaryova, I. A., L. Nino de Rivera y Oyarzabal, and E. Ruiz Sanchez, "Interaction of radiofrequency, high-strength electric fields with harmful insects," Inrenational Microwave Power Institute, 17-27, Mar. 2010.
4. Esime-culhuacan, S. and I. P. Nacional, "Interaction of radio frequency, high strength electric fields with harmful insects,", 17-27, 2003.
5. Nelson, S. O. and P. G. Bartley, "Measuring frequency and temperature dependent permittivities of food materials," IEEE Transactions on Instrumentation and Measurement, Vol. 51, No. 4, 589-592, 2002.
6. Garg, R., P. Bhartia, I. Bahl, and A. Ittipibon, Microstrip Antenna Design Handbook, IEEE Antenna and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 45, No. 2, 875, 2001.
7. Ain, M. F., Y. M. Qasaymeh, Z. A. Ahmad, M. A. Zakariya, and U. Ullah, "An equivalent circuit of microstrip slot coupled rectangular dielectric resonator antenna," PIERS Proceedings, 1837-1840, KL, Malaysia, March 27–30, 2012.
8. Waterhouse, R. B., Printed Antennas for Wireless Communications, John Wiley Sons Inc., 2007.
9. Ouedraogo, R. O. and E. J. Rothwell, "Metamaterial inspired patch antenna miniaturization technique," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, 1-4, 2010.
10. Sukhadia, M. B and V. G. Kasabegoudar, "Investigation of mutual coupling effects in conventional and fractal capacitive coupled suspended RMSAs," International Journal of Wireless Communications and Mobile Computing, Vol. 1, No. 4, 119-123, 2013.
11. Mandelbrot, B. B., Fractal and the Geometry of the Nature, 1st Ed., W. H. Freeman and Company, 1975.
12. Shafie, S. N., I. Adam, and P. J. Soh, "Design and simulation of a modified Minkowski fractal antenna for tri-band application," Asia International Conference on Mathematical/Analytical Modelling and Computer Simulation (AMS), No. 1, 2-5, 2010.
13. Vinoy, K. J., "Fractal shaped antenna elements for wide and multiband wireless applications,", The Pennsylvania State University, The Graduate School College of Engineering Fractal, 2002.
14. Salar Rahimi, M. and J. Rashed-Mohassel, "Gain and impedance matching improvement of Sierpinski carpet patch antenna using dual band EBG structure," Asia-Pacific Microwave Conference Proceedings (APMC), 681-684, 2011.
15. Oraizi, H. and S. Hedayati, "Wideband monopole fractal antenna with Hilbert fractal slot patterned ground plane," 2011 41st European Microwave Conference (EuMc), 242-245, 2010.
16. Ahmad, B. H., H. Nornikman, M. Z. A. Abd Aziz, M. A. Othman, and A. R. Othman, "Tri-band Minkowski island patch antenna with complementary split ring resonator at the ground plane," 2013 Microwave Technologies Conference, 46-51, Apr. 2013.
17. Sathya, K., "Size reduction of low frequency microstrip patch antennas with koch fractal slots,", M. Tech Thesis, Indian Inst. Sci. Bangalore, 2004.
18. Khare, R. and R. Nema, "Reflection coefficient analysis of Chebyshev impedance matching network using different algorithms," International Journal of Innovative Research in Science, Engineering and Technology, Vol. 1, No. 2, 214-218, 2012.
19. Chih-Ming, T., et al., "Nonsynchronous alternating-impedance transformers," Asia-Pacific Microwave Conference (APMC), Vol. 1, 310-313, 2001.
20. Monzon, C., "Analytical derivation of a two-section impedance transformer for a frequency and its first harmonic," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 12, No. 10, 381-382, 2002.
21. Wu, L., et al., "A dual-frequency Wilkinson power divider: For a frequency and its first harmonic," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 15, No. 2, 2004-2006, 2005.
22. Jose da Silva, H., M. Joao do Rosario, and C. Peixeiro, "From passive microstrip single patch antennas to active microstrip patch arrays," Instituto de Telecomunicacoes, Lisboa, Portugal, 2001.
23. Lin, J. and T. Itoh, "Active integrated antennas," IEEE. Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 42, No. 12, 1994.
24. Chang, K., R. A. York, P. S. Hall, and T. Itoh, "Active integrated antennas," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 50, No. 3, 937-944, 2002.
25. Swamy, K. and M. Veluri, "Active integrated antenna (AIA) system for wireless communication," International Journal of Scientific and Research Publications, Vol. 3, No. 11, 1-5, 2013.
26. Liou, W., et al., "Design and implementation of a low-voltage 2.4-GHz CMOS RF receiver front-end for wireless communication," Journal of Marine Science and Technology, Vol. 13, No. 3, 170-175, 2005.
27. Pozar, D. M., "Microstrip antennas," Proceeding of IEEE, Vol. 80, No. 1, 79-91, 1992.
28. Peter, T., et al., "Active integrated antenna with low noise amplifier design at 5GHz," 2nd European Conference on Antennas and Propagation (EuCAP), 1-6, Nov. 2007.
29. Zurcher, J. F. and F. E. Gardiol, Broadband Patch Antennas, Artech House, Norwood, MA, 1995.
30. Radisic, V., et al., "Novel 2-D photonic band gap structures for microstrip lines," IEEE Microwave Guided Wave Lett., Vol. 8, 69-71, 1998.
31. Qian, Y., et al., "Microstrip patch antenna using novel photonic band gap structures," Microwave J., Vol. 42, 66-76, Jan. 1999.
32. Karmakar, N. C. and M. N. Mollah, "Investigations into nonuniform photonic-bandgap microstripline low-pass filters,", Vol. 51, No. 2, 564-572, 2003.
33. Http://www.minicircuits.com/MCLStore/ModelInfoDisplay?14093539187760.14037500767787614, "Surface mount amplifier," Mini Circuit.
34. Khodier, M., et al., "Design of multiband multi-section transmission line transformer using particle swarm optimization," Electrical Engineering, Springer, Vol. 90, No. 4, 293-300, 2008.
35. Pozar, D. M., Microwave Engineering, Addison-Wesley Publ. Co., 1993.
36. Orfanidis, S. J., "A two-section dual-band Chebyshev," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 13, No. 9, 382-384, 2003.
37. Ming, C., "Novel design method of a multi-section transmission-line transformer using genetic algorithm techniques," International Conference on Electrical Machines and Systems (ICEMS), 3793-3796, 2008.
38. Coupler, D., Antenna Measurements, 120-129, IEEE Library.
39. Noori, O., J. Chebil, M. R. Islam, and S. Khan, "Design of a triple-band h slot patch antenna," International Conference on RF and Microwave (RFM), 289-292, Dec. 2011.
40. Kulkarni, S. D. and S. N. Makarov, "A compact dual-band foam-based UHF PIFA," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society Symposium, 3609-3612, 2006.
41. Avila-navarro, E., J. A. Carrasco, and C. Rei, "Dual printed antenna for Wi-Fi applications," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 8, 596-598, 2009.
42. Dai, X.-W., Z.-Y. Wang, X. Chen, and L. Wang, "Multiband and dual-polarized omnidirectional antenna for 2G/3G/LTE application," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 12, 1492-1495, 2013.
43. Kim, S. and K. Min, "Design for multiband monopole antenna with parasitic elements for inbuilding mobile communication," Wireless and Mobile, 92-95, 2014.
44. Sharma, D. and M. S. Hashmi, "A novel design of tri-band patch antenna for GSM/WiFi/WiMAX applications," Microwave and RF IEEE International Conference (IMaRC), 156-158, 2014.
45. Rouissi, I., I. B. E. N. Trad, J. F. H, H. Rmili, and H. Trabelsi, "Design of frequency reconfigurable triband antenna using capacitive loading for wireless communications," Antennas & Propagation Loughborough Conference (LAPC), 3-7, 2015.