In this paper, a CPW feed ultrawideband (UWB) slot antenna with a single reconfigurable notched band is proposed for overlay cognitive radio (CR) systems. The proposed antenna utilizes two symmetrical short circuited quarter wavelength resonators at the top layer and close to the ground to create a single notch. The switching reconfiguration is achieved by changing the length of resonators to prevent the interference to the primary users that are operating in the wireless local area network (WLAN) band at 5.725-5.825 GHz and the international telecommunication union (ITU) band at 8.05-8.4 GHz. The center frequency of the notched band can be tuned by selecting the length of the resonators, which is achieved by employing two ideal switches. Moreover, the proposed antenna has been fabricated and tested. The experimental data confirmed that the proposed design can selectively have a band notch over the two existent desired bands.
2. Al-Husseini, M., K. Y. Kabalan, A. El-Hajj, and C. G. Christodoulou, "Reconfigurable microstrip antennas for cognitive radio," Advancement in Microstrip Antennas with Recent Applications, Kishk A., 1st Edition, Ch. 14, 337–62, InTech, Croatia, 2013.
3. Abdallah, M. A., A. A. Ibrahim, and A. Boutejdar, "Resonator switching techniques for notched ultra-wideband antenna in wireless applications," IET Microwave Antennas Propagation, Vol. 9, No. 13, 1468-1477, 2015.
4. Saad, A. A. R., M. M. M. Ali, and E. E. M. Khaled, "An integrated 3G/Bluetooth and UWB antenna with a band-notched feature," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 27, No. 18, 2430-2441, 2013.
5. Abbas, S. M., Y. Ranga, A. K. Verma, and K. P. Esselle, "A simple ultra wideband printed monopole antenna with high band rejection and wide radiation patterns," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 62, No. 9, 4816-4820, September 2014.
6. Satyanarayana, B. and S. Mulgi, "Design of planar band-notched monopole antenna for 2.4 GHz WLAN and UWB applications," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 57, No. 11, 249-250, 2015.
7. Yadav, A. and D. Sethi, "Slot loaded UWB antenna: Dual band notched characteristics," International Journal of Electronics and Communications (AEU), Vol. 70, No. 3, 331-335, 2016.
8. Li, T., H.-Q. Zhai, C. Zhu, L. Li, C.-H. Liang, and Y.-F. Han, "Design and analysis of compact printed dual band-notched ultrawideband (UWB) antenna," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 27, No. 5, 560-571, 2013.
9. Atallah, H. A., A. B. Abdel-Rahman, K. Yoshitomi, and R. K.Pokharel, "Design of dual bandnotched CPW-fed UWB planar monopole antenna using microstrip resonators," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 59, 51-57, 2016.
10. Cai, Y., H. Yang, and L.-Y. Cai, "Wideband monopole antenna with three band-notched characteristics," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 13, 607-610, 2014.
11. Atallah, H. A., A. B. Abdel-Rahman, K. Yoshitomi, and R. K. Pokharel, "Tunable bandnotched CPW-fed UWB antenna using capacitively loaded microstrip resonator for cognitive radio applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 62, 109-117, 2016.
12. Peng, L. and C.-L. Ruan, "UWB band-notched monopole antenna design using electromagneticbandgap structures," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 59, No. 4, 1074-1081, 2011.
13. Majid, H. A., M. K. A. Rahim, M. R. Hamid, M. F. M. Yusoff, N. A. Murad, N. A. Samsuri, O. Ayop, and R. Dewan, "Wideband antenna with reconfigurable band notched using EBG structure," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 54, 7-13, 2015.
14. Nouri, A. and G. R. Dadashzadeh, "A compact UWB band-notched printed monopole antenna with defected ground structure," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 10, 1178-1184, 2011.
15. Srivastava, G., S. Dwari, and B. K. Kanaujia, "A compact UWB antenna with reconfigurable dual notch bands," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 5, No. 12, 2737-2742, 2015.
16. Zhang, Y.-P. and C.-M. Li, "Design of small dual band-notched UWB slot antenna," Electronics Letters, Vol. 51, No. 22, 1727-1728, 2015.
17. Zhu, F., S. Gao, A. T. S. Ho, C. H. See, R. A. Abd-Alhameed, J. Li, and J. Xu, "Dual band-notched tapered slot antenna using λ/4 band-stop filters," IET Microwave Antennas Propagation, Vol. 6, No. 15, 665-672, 2012.
18. Aghdam, S. A., "A novel UWB monopole antenna with tunable notched behavior using varactor diode," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 13, 1243-1246, 2014.
19. Zhao, D., L. Lan, Y. Han, F. Liang, Q. Zhang, and B. Wang, "Optically controlled reconfigurable band-notched UWB antenna for cognitive radio applications," IEEE Photonics Technology Letters, Vol. 26, No. 21, 2173-2176, 2014.
20. Aghdam, S. A., "Reconfigurable antenna with a diversity filtering band feature utilizing active devices for communication systems," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 61, No. 10, 5223-5228, October 2013.
21. Lotfi, P., M. Azarmanesh, and S. Soltani, "Rotatable dual band-notched UWB/triple-band WLAN reconfigurable antenna," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 12, 104-107, 2013.
22. Hong, J.-S. and M. J. Lancaster, Microstrip Filters for RF/Microwave Applications Theory Analysis and Design, 1st Ed., Wiley & Sons, New York, 2001.
23., , CST Microwave Studio, ver. 2015, Computer Simulation Technology AG, Japan, AET, 2015.