In this paper, a simple approach for efficiency enhancement of a wireless power transfer system by using mu near zero (MNZ) type of metamaterial is proposed. A single slab containing one-sided periodic structures of 3×3 array of meander-line unit cell has been placed between transmitting and receiving coils in the wireless power transfer system. The presented metamaterial structure is less complex than other reported metamaterial structures in the area of wireless power transfer system. The simulation and measurement have been performed with and without metamaterial slab. Using metamaterial slab, the maximum efficiency has been obtained about 55.3%, i.e. an improvement of efficiency around 15.7% is obtained compared to a wireless power transfer system without metamaterials. Interestingly, the proposed wireless power transfer system shows a steady improvement of efficiency even if the distance between the transmitting and receiving coil is increased.
2. Olvitz, L., D. Vinko, and T. Svedek, "Wireless power transfer for mobile phone charging device," MIPRO, Proc. of the 35th International Convention, 141-145, Opatija, Croatia, May 2012.
3. Nguyen, V. T., S. H. Kang, J. H. Choi, and C. W. Jung, "Magnetic resonance wireless power transfer using three-coil system with single planar receiver for laptop applications," IEEE Tran. Consum. Electron., Vol. 61, No. 2, 160-166, May 2015.
4. Elliott, G. A. J., R. Stefan, G. A. Covic, and J. T. Boys, "Multiphase pickups for large lateral tolerance contactless power-transfer system," IEEE Tran. Ind. Electron., Vol. 57, No. 5, 1590-1598, May 2010.
5. Wang, G., W. Liu, M. Sivaprakasam, M. Zhou, J. D. Weiland, and M. S. Humayun, "A dual band wireless power and data telemetry for retinal prosthesis," Proc. IEEE EMBS Annual International Conference, 4392-4395, New York City, USA, Aug.–Sep. 2006.
6. Yan, G., D. Ye, P. Zan, K. Wang, and G. Ma, "Micro-robot for endoscope based on wireless power transfer," Proc. IEEE International Conference on Mechatron and Automat, 3577-3581, Harbin, China, Aug. 2007.
7. Freire, M. J., R. Marques, and L. Jelinek, "Experimental demonstration of a μ = −1 metamaterial lens for magnetic resonance imaging," Appl. Phys. Lett., Vol. 93, 23110, 1-3, Dec. 2008.
8. Wang, B., W. Yerazunis, and K. H. Teo, "Wireless power transfer: metamaterials and array of coupled resonators," Proc. IEEE, Vol. 101, No. 6, 1359-1368, Jun. 2013.
9. Kurs, A., A. Karalis, R. Moffatt, J. D. Joannopoulos, P. Fisher, and M. Soljacic, "Wireless power transfer via strongly coupled magnetic resonances," Science, Vol. 317, 83-86, Jul. 2007.
10. Kim, Y. and S. Lim, "Compact magnetic coupled resonator with high efficiency during misaligned wireless power transmission," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 27, No. 15, 1942-1948, Aug. 2013.
11. Wang, B., T. Nishino, and K. H. Teo, "Wireless power transmission efficiency enhancement with metamaterials," Proc. IEEE International Conference on Wireless Information Technology and System (ICWITS), 1-4, Honululu, HI, USA, Sep. 2010.
12. Urzhumov, Y. and D. R. Smith, "Metamaterial-enhanced coupling between magnetic dipoles for efficient wireless power transfer," Phys. Rev. B, Vol. 83, 205114, 1-10, May 2011.
13. Wang, B., K. H. Teo, T. Nishino, W. Yerazunis, J. Barnwell, and J. Zhang, "Experiments on wireless power transfer with metamaterials," Appl. Phys. Lett., Vol. 98, 254101, 1-3, Jun. 2011.
14. Fan, Y., L. Li, S. Yu, C. Zhu, and C. Liang, "Experimental study of efficient wireless power transfer system integrating with highly sub-wavelength metamaterials," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 141, 769-784, Aug. 2013.
15. Rajagopalan, A., A. K. RamRakhyani, D. Schurig, and G. Lazzi, "Improving power transfer efficiency of a short-range telemetry system using compact metamaterials," IEEE Tran. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 62, No. 4, 947-955, Apr. 2014.
16. Park, J. H., B. C. Park, Y. H. Ryu, E. S. Park, and J. H. Lee, "Modified mu-zero resonator for efficient wireless power transfer," IET Microw. Ant. Propag., Vol. 8, No. 12, 912-920, Mar. 2014.
17. Kim, H. and C. Seo, "Highly efficient wireless power transfer using metamaterial slab with zero refractive property," Electronics Lett., Vol. 50, No. 16, 1158-1160, Jul. 2014.
18. Rodriguez, E. S. G., A. K. Ram Rakhyani, D. Schurig, and G. Lazzi, "Compact low frequency metamaterial design for wireless power transfer efficiency enhancement," IEEE Tran. Microw. Theory Techn., Vol. 64, No. 5, 1644-1654, May 2016.
19. Kolb, P. W., T. S. Salter, J. A. McGee, H. D. Drew, and W. J. Padilla, "Extreme subwave length electric GHz metamaterials," J. Appl. Phys., Vol. 110, 054906, 1-5, Sep. 2011.
20. Szabo, Z., G. H. Park, R. Hedge, and E. P. Li, "A unique extraction of metamaterial parameters based on Kramers-Kronig relationship," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 58, No. 10, 2646-2653, Oct. 2010.
21. RamRakhyani, A. K. and G. Lazzi, "On the design of efficient multi-coil telemetry system for biomedical implant," IEEE Tran. Biomedical Circuits Sys., Vol. 7, No. 1, 11-23, Feb. 2013.