This paper presents a novel, dual, three-stepped-trident, planar, monopole antenna for ultra-wideband applications. The planar trident type antenna is designed, simulated, and fabricated. Its impedance bandwidth, radiation pattern and gain performances were measured. This antenna operates in the ultra-wideband from 3.0 GHz to 12.15 GHz. The maximum gain of this antenna design is 5.5 dBi. Measurements confirm the simulated results over the frequency of operation.
2. Malayeri, D. N., "Review of UWB technology specifications and benefits as a powerful technology to develop power distribution grid automation techniques," 2011 16th Conference on Electrical Power Distribution Networks (EPDC), 1-7, Bandar Abbas, 2011.
3. Al-Azza, A., F. J. Harackiewicz, and H. R. Gorla, "Very compact open-slot antenna for wireless communication systems," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 51, 73-78, 2015.
4. Issa, M. A., M. H. Sharaf, S. I. Shams, and A. M. M. A. Allam, "Stair-monopole antenna and irregular pentagon antenna in ultra-wideband applications: Detailed study," 2011 IEEE International Symposium on Antennas and Propagation (APSURSI), 1766-1769, Jul. 3–8, 2011.
5. Moreira, A. A., N. Pires, N. Serro, and R. Santos, "Ultra-wideband dielectric sandwich loaded antennas," 3rd European Conference on Antennas and Propagation, 2009, EuCAP 2009, 3535-3538, Mar. 23–27, 2009.
6. Fereidoony, F., S. Chamaani, and S. A. Mirtaheri, "Systematic design of UWB monopole antennas with stable omnidirectional radiation pattern," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 11, 752-755, 2012.
7. Zhao, A. and J. Ollikainen, "Half-sized vertical monopole Ultra-Wideband (UWB) antennas for mobile applications," IEEE International Conference on Ultra-Wideband, 2007, ICUWB 2007, 497-501, Sept. 24–26, 2007.
8. Mansour, H. M., M. H. Sharaf, S. I. Shams, and A. M. M. Allam, "Novel lotus shaped antenna for ultra-wideband communication systems," 2012 Loughborough Antennas and Propagation Conference (LAPC), 1-4, Nov. 12–13, 2012.
9. Samal, P. B., P. J. Soh, and G. A. E. Vandenbosch, "A systematic design procedure for microstripbased unidirectional UWB antennas," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 143, 105-130, 2013.
10. Mahmud, M. Z., M. T. Islam, and M. Samsuzzaman, "A high performance UWB antenna design for microwave imaging system," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 58, 1824-1831, 2016.
11. Li, L., J. Yang, X. Chen, X. Zhang, R. Ma, and W. Zhang, "Ultra-wideband differential wideslot antenna with improved radiation patterns and gain," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 60, No. 12, 6013, 6018, Dec. 2012.
12. Wang, S., Q. Wu, and D. Su, "A novel reversed T-match antenna with compact size and low profile for ultra-wideband applications," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 60, No. 10, 4933, 4937, Oct. 2012.
13. Hossain, M. J., M. R. I. Faruque, and M. T. Islam, "Design of a patch antenna for ultra-wideband applications," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 58, 2152-2156, 2016, doi: 10.1002/mop.29993.
14. Ren, Y. J. and K. Chang, "Ultra-wideband planar elliptical ring antenna," Electronics Letters, Vol. 42, No. 8, 447-449, Apr. 13, 2006.
15. Aissaoui, D., L. M. Abdelghani, N. Boukli-Hacen, and T. A. Denidni, "CPW-fed UWB hexagonal shaped antenna with additional fractal elements," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 58, 2370-2374, 2016, doi:10.1002/mop.30053.
16. Naktong, W., S. Kronsing, and A. Ruengwaree, "The bandwidth enhancement of rectangular slot antenna with H and T-shaped slot tuning for ultra-wideband applications," 2014 11th International Conference on Electrical Engineering/Electronics, Computer, Telecommunications and Information Technolog, 1-4, Nakhon Ratchasima, 2014.
17. Kaewchan, B., W. Naktong, and A. Ruengwaree, "T-shape slot in rectangular slot antenna to enlarge bandwidth for broadband communication," 2010 9th International Symposium on Antennas Propagation and EM Theory (ISAPE), 282-285, Guangzhou, 2010.
18. Sulaiman, M. A., M. T. Ali, I. Pasya, N. Ramli, and H. Alias, "UWB microstrip antenna based on circular patch topology with stepped feedline and partial ground plane," 2012 Asia-Pacific Symposium on Electromagnetic Compatibility, 905-908, Singapore, 2012.
19. Lu, Y., Y. Huang, H. T. Chattha, and P. Cao, "Reducing ground-plane effects on UWB monopole antennas," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 10, 147-150, 2011.
20. Shafique, K., B. A. Khawaja, M. A. Tarar, B. M. Khan, M. Mustaqim, and A. Raza, "A wearable ultra-wideband antenna for wireless body area networks," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 58, 1710-1715, 2016.
21. Qing, X., Z. N. Chen, and M. Y. W. Chia, "Network approach to UWB antenna transfer functions characterization," The European Conference on Wireless Technology 2005, 293-296, Paris, 2005.