This paper presents the design of a compact printed multi-band antenna for satellite communications within vehicular applications. The designed antenna is characterized by its compact size of 24mm18mm and multiple resonances over WiMAX, WLAN, 5 GHz U-NII, C-band, X-band, Ku-band, Kband and Ka-band. The performance of the multi-band antenna is investigated, and its equivalent circuit model is presented. Good performance is achieved over all the operating bands, with a relatively high gain and efficiency. Furthermore, as the interference with coexisting wireless systems can have a severe impact on the performance of the antenna, four variants of the antenna are proposed incorporating band rejection features within the antenna design. Embedded quarter-wavelength spur-lines, slots, and parasitic elements were used.
2. Garg, R., Microstrip Antenna Design Handbook, Artech House, 2001.
3. Nguyen, T. D., D. H. Lee, and H. C. Park, "Design and analysis of compact printed triple bandnotched UWB antenna," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 10, 2011.
4. Zhu, F., S. Gao, A. T. S. Ho, R. A. Abd-Alhameed, C. H. See, T. W. C. Brown, J. Li, G. Wei, and J. Xu, "Multiple band-notched UWB antenna with band-rejected elements integrated in the feed line," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 61, No. 8, August 2013.
5. Ma, T.-G., R.-C. Hua, and C.-F. Chou, "Design of a multiresonator loaded band-rejected ultrawideband planar monopole antenna with controllable notched bandwidth," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 56, No. 9, September 2008.
6. Dong, Y. D., W. Hong, Z. Q. Kuai, and J. X. Chen, "Analysis of planar ultrawideband antennas with on-ground slot band-notched structures," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 57, No. 7, July 2009.
7. Zhu, F., S. Gao, A. T. S. Ho, C. H. See, R. A. Abd-Alhameed, J. Li, and J. Xu, "Dual band-notched tapered slot antenna using λ/4 band-stop filters," IET Microwaves, Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 6, No. 15, 1665-1673, 2012.
8. Tang, M.-C., H. Wang, T. Deng, and R. W. Ziolkowski, "Compact planar ultrawideband antennas with continuously tunable, independent band-notched filters," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 64, No. 8, August 2016.
9. Choi, N., C. Jung, J. Byun, F. J. Harackiewicz, M.-J. Park, Y.-S. Chung, T. Kim, and B. Lee, "Compact UWB antenna with I-shaped band-notch parasitic element for laptop applications," Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 8, 2009.
10. Jung, J., H. Lee, and Y. Lim, "Compact band-notched ultra-wideband antenna with parasitic elements," Electronics Letters, Vol. 44, No. 19, 2008.
11. Wong, K.-L., Compact and Broadband Microstrip Antennas, 344 pages, John Wiley & Sons, April 7, 2004.
12. Balalem, A., A. R. Ali, J. Machac, and A. Omar, "Quasi-elliptic microstrip low-pass filters using an interdigital DGS slot," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 17, No. 8, August 2007.