A circularly polarized substrate integrated waveguide (SIW) cavity-backed antenna with the feasibility of obtaining a wide bandwidth is proposed and demonstrated. Fed by a modified inverted-T stripline, the proposed double-layered stacked antenna, consisting of an improved circular SIW cavity and a conventional perturbed circular patch radiator, is designed, analyzed and fabricated. Good agreement between simulated and measured results is observed. Simulation and measurement results reveal that the proposed antenna can provide an impedance bandwidth of 22.1% (4.94-6.17 GHz) and a 3-dB axial ratio (AR) bandwidth of 18.7% (5-6.03 GHz). Additionally, within the effective circular polarization (CP) bandwidth of 18.7% (5-6.03 GHz), the proposed antenna has gains from 4.3 dBic to 7.1 dBic with an average gain of 5.9 dBic. The measured CP bandwidth of 18.7% (5-6.03 GHz) not only meets the need for certain Wi-Fi (5.2/5.8 GHz) or WiMAX (5.5 GHz) band communication application, but also provides the potential to implement multiservice transmission.
2. Kim, D.-Y., J.-W. Lee, and C.-S. Cho, "Design of SIW cavity-backed circular-polarized antennas using two different feeding transitions," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 59, No. 4, 1398-1403, Apr. 2011.
3. Zhou, H., W. Hong, L. Tian, and M. Jiang, "A polarization-rotating SIW reflective surface with two sharp band edges," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 15, 130-134, Feb. 2016.
4. Guan, D.-F., C. Ding, Z.-P. Qian, Y.-S. Zhang, Y.-J. Guo, and K. Gong, "Broadband high-gain SIW cavity-polarized array antenna," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 64, No. 4, 1493-1496, Apr. 2016.
5. Hao, Z.-C., X.-M. Liu, T. Ni, X.-P. Huo, and K.-K. Fan, "Planar high-gain circularly polarized element antenna for array applications," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 63, No. 5, 1937-1948, May 2015.
6. Dashti, H. and M.-H. Neshati, "Development of low-profile patch and semi-circular SIW cavity hybrid antennas," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 62, No. 9, 4481-4488, Sep. 2014.
7. Jin, C., Z.-X. Shen, R. Li, and A. Alphones, "Compact circularly polarized antenna based on quarter-mode substrate integrated waveguide sub-array," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 62, No. 2, 963-967, Feb. 2014.
8. Razavi, S.-A. and M.-H. Neshati, "Development of a low-profile circularly polarized cavity-backed antenna using HMSIW technique," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 61, No. 3, 1041-1047, Mar. 2013.
9. Kovitz, J.-M. and Y. Rahmat-Sammi, "Using thick substrates and capacitive probe compensation to enhance the bandwidth of traditional CP patch antennas," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 62, No. 10, 4970-4979, Oct. 2014.
10. Yang, W.-W. and J.-Y. Zhou, "Wideband circularly polarized cavity-backed aperture antenna with a parasitic square patch," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 13, 197-200, Feb. 2014.
11. Huang, J.-Q., F. Qiu, C. Jiang, D. Lei, Z. Tang, M. Yao, and Q.-X. Chu, "Compact coaxial probefed CP substrate integrated waveguide cavity-backed antenna utilizing slot split ring," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 60, 107-112, 2016.
12. Lacik, J., "Circularly polarized SIW square ring-slot antenna for X-band applications," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 54, No. 11, 2590-2594, Nov. 2012.
13. Thomas, K.-G. and G. Praveen, "A novel wideband circularly polarized printed antenna," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 60, No. 12, 5564-5570, Dec. 2012.
14. Tran, H.-H. and I. Park, "Wideband circularly polarized cavity-backed asymmetric crossed bowtie dipole antenna," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 15, 358-361, Feb. 2016.
15. Han, R.-C. and S.-S. Zhong, "Broadband circularly-polarised chifre-shaped monopole antenna with asymmetric feed," IET Electron. Lett., Vol. 52, No. 4, 256-258, Feb. 2016.
16. Cai, Y., Y.-S. Zhang, Z.-P. Qian, W.-Q. Cao, and L. Wang, "Design of compact air-vias-perforated SIW horn antenna with partially detached broad walls," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 64, No. 6, 2100-2107, Jun. 2016.