This paper proposes an ultrawideband (UWB) Vivaldi antenna with switchable and tunable band-notch characteristics. One stepped-impedance resonator (SIR), which has high quality factor Q and small size, is introduced to create band-notched characteristic with narrow notch band and high notch band edge selectivity. By loading two varactor diodes, a wide tunable notched band is achieved. The center frequency of notch band can tune from 3.1 GHz-6.8 GHz. In order to make the full use of UWB spectrum when there is on coexisting narrow-band applications, switchable band-notch characteristic is desired. Through rational parameters design, the center frequency of notched band is out of UWB range when the DC bias voltage of the varactor diode is 0 V. In this way, switchable band-notch characteristic is achieved.
2. Abbas, S. M., Y. Ranga, A. K. Verma, and K. P. Esselle, "A simple ultra wideband printed monopole antenna with high band rejection and wide radiation patterns," IEEE Transactions on Antenna and Propagation, Vol. 62, No. 9, 4816-4820, Sep. 2014.
3. Zhou, D., S. Gao, F. Zhu, R. A. Abd-Alhameed, and J. D. Xu, "A simple and compact planar ultra wideband antenna with single or dual band-notched characteristics," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 123, 47-65, 2012.
4. Emadian, S. R. and J. Ahmadi-Shokouh, "Very small dual band-notched rectangular slot antenna with enhanced impedance bandwidth," IEEE Transactions on Antenna and Propagation, Vol. 63, No. 10, 4529-4534, Oct. 2015.
5. Wu, Z.-H., F. Wei, X.-W. Shi, and W.-T. Li, "A compact quad band-notched UWB monopole antenna loaded one lateral L-shaped slot," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 139, 303-315, 2013.
6. Fallahi, R., A.-A. Kalteh, and M. Golparvar Roozbahani, "A novel UWB elliptical slot antenna with band-notched characteristics," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 82, 127-136, 2008.
7. Liu, X., Y. Yin, P. Liu, J. Wang, and B. Xu, "A CPW-fed dual band-notched UWB antenna with a pair of bened dual-L-shape parasitic branches," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 136, 623-634, 2013.
8. Kelly, J. R., P. S. Hall, and P. Gardner, "Band-notched UWB antenna incorporating a microstrip open-loop resonator," IEEE Transactions on Antenna and Propagation, Vol. 59, No. 8, 3045-3048, Aug. 2011.
9. Islam1, M. T., R. Azim, and A. T. Mobashsher, "Triple band-nootched planar UWB antenna using parasitic stpips," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 129, 161-179, 2012.
10. Boudaghi, H., J. Pourahmadazar, and S. A. Aghdam, "Compact UWB monopole antenna with reconfigurable band notches using PIN diode switches," Proc. 14th Annu. IEEE Wireless Microwave. Technology Conference, 2013.
11. Artiga, X., J. Perruisseau-Carrier, P. Pardo-Carrera, I. Llamas-Garro, and Z. Brito-Brito, "Halved Vivaldi antenna with reconfigurable band rejection," IEEE Antenna and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 10, 56-58, 2011.
12. Li, T., H. Zhai, L. Li, C. Liang, and Y. Han, "Compact UWB antenna with tunable band-notched characteristic based on microstrip open-loop resonator," IEEE Antenna and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 11, 1584-1587, 2012.
13. Trad, I. B., J. M. Floch, H. Rmili, L. Laadhar, and M. Drissi, "Planar elliptic broadband antenna with wide range reconfigurable narrow notched bands for multi-standard wireless communication devices," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 145, 69-80, 2014.
14. Antonino-Daviu, E., M. Cabedo-Fabre’s, M. Ferrando-Bataller, and A. Vila-Jimenez, "Active UWB antenna with tunable band-notched behavior," Electronics Letters, Vol. 43, No. 18, Aug. 2007.
15. Malik, J., P. K. Velalam, and M. V. Kartikeyan, "Continuously tunable band-notched ultrawideband antenna," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 57, No. 4, 924-928, Apr. 2015.
16. Aghdam, S. A., "A novel UWB monopole antenna with tunable notched behavior using varactor diode," IEEE Antenna and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 13, 1243-1246, 2014.
17. Elfergani, I. T. E., A. S. Hussaini, C. H. See, R. A. Abd-Alhameed, N. J. McEwan, S. Zhu, J. Rodriguez, and R. W. Clarke, "Printed monopole antenna with tunable band-notched characteristic for use in mobile and ultra-wide band applications," International Journal of RF and Microwave Computer-Aided Engineering, Vol. 25, No. 5, Jun. 2015.
18. Hu, Z. H., P. S. Hall, J. R. Kelly, and P. Gardner, "UWB pyramidal monopole antenna with wide tunable band-notched behavior," Electronics Letters, Vol. 46, No. 24, Nov. 2010.
19. Elfergani, I. T. E., A. Abd-Alhameed, H. See, M. R. Jones, and P. S. Excell, "A compact design of tunable band-notched ultra-wide band antenna," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 54, No. 7, 1642-1644, Jul. 2012.
20. Gibson, P. J., "The vivaldi aerial," Microwave Conference, 9th European, 101-105, 1979.
21. Mitsuo, M. and S. Yamashita, "Bandpass filters using parallel coupled stripline stepped impedance resonators," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 28, No. 12, 1413-1417, Dec. 1980.