In this article, a dual-polarized hybrid cylindrical dielectric resonator antenna (CDRA) is studied. A ring-shaped patch along with an inverted L-strip is used to excite two different hybrid modes (HE11δ and HE12δ-like mode) in CDRA. HE12δ mode in CDRA is very advantageous in terms of gain and radiation characteristics. The proposed antenna design shows triple-band characteristics i.e. 1.88-2.06 GHz, 2.29-2.58 GHz and 2.9-3.93 GHz with the fractional bandwidth of 9.13%, 11.9% and 30.16%, respectively. Due to inverted L-strip, it shows circular polarization characteristics within the frequency range 3.3-3.55 GHz (AR<3 dB). The simulated results are practically verified by using archetype of proposed antenna structure. The proposed antenna design is applicable to WLAN (2.4 GHz) and WiMAX (2.5/3.5 GHz) applications.
2. Fang, X. S. and K. W. Leung, "Linear-/circular-polarization designs of dual-/wide-band cylindrical dielectric resonator antennas," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 60, 2662-2671, 2012.
3. Sharma, S. K. and M. K. Brar, "Aperture coupled pentagon shaped dielectric resonator antennas providing multiband and wideband performance," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 55, 395-400, 2013.
4. Bemani, M., S. Nikmehr, and H. Younesiraad, "A novel small triple band rectangular dielectric resonator antenna for WLAN and WiMAX applications," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 25, No. 11–12, 1688-1698, 2012.
5. Guha, D., H. Gajera, and C. Kumar, "Cross-polarized radiation in a cylindrical dielectric resonator antenna: Identification of source, experimental proof, and its suppression," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 63, 1863-1867, 2015.
6. Guha, D., A. Banerjee, C. Kumar, and Y. M. M. Antar, "Higher order mode excitation for highgain broadside radiation from cylindrical dielectric resonators antennas," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 60, 71-77, 2012.
7. Lin, Y.-F., H.-M. Chen, and C.-H. Lin, "Compact dual-band hybrid dielectric resonator antenna with radiating slot," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 8, 6-9, 2009.
8. Ding, Y. and K. W. Leung, "On the dual-band DRA-slot hybrid antenna," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 57, 624-630, 2009.
9. Khalily, M., M. K. A. Rahim, and M. R. Kamarudin, "Modified cylindrical dielectric resonators excited with loaded fork monopole antenna," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 53, 2887-2890, 2011.
10. Sharma, A. and R. K. Gangwar, "Compact tri-band cylindrical dielectric resonator antenna with circular slots for wireless application," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 30, No. 3, 331-340, 2016.
11. Fang, X., K. W. Leung, and E. H. Lim, "Singly-fed dual-band circularly polarized dielectric resonator antenna," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 13, 532-535, 2014.
12. Lee, J. M., S. J. Kim, G. Kwon, C. M. Song, Y. Yang, K. Y. Lee, and K. C. Hwang, "Circularly polarized semi eccentric annular dielectric resonator antenna for X-band applications," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 14, 1810-1813, 2015.
13. Khalily, M., M. R. Kamarudin, M. Mokayef, and M. H. Jamaluddin, "Omnidirectional circularly polarized dielectric resonator antenna for 5.2 GHz WLAN-applications," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 13, 443-446, 2014.
14. Mongia, R. K. and P. Bhartia, "Dielectric resonator antennas-a review and general design relations for resonant frequency and bandwidth," International Journal of Microwave and Millimeter-wave Computer Aided Engineering, Vol. 4, 230-247, 1994.
15. Garg, R., P. Bhartia, I. Bahl, and A. Ittipiboon, Microstrip Antenna Design Handbook, Artech House, Norwood, MA, USA, 2001.
16. Best, S. R., "The significance of ground-plane size and antenna location in establishing the performance of ground-plane-dependent antennas," IEEE Antennas and Propag. Magazine, Vol. 51, 29-43, 2009.
17. Kajfez, D., A. W. Glisson, and J. James, "Computed modal field distributions for isolated dielectric resonators," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 32, 1609-1616, 1984.
18. Balanis, C. A., Antenna Theory: Analysis and Design, A John Wiley & Sons, INC., Publication, 2005.