A novel high-gain directional lens antenna is numerically designed and experimentally tested in terahertz atmospheric transmission I window. The lens antenna consists of two components: a diagonal horn is adopted as the primary feed antenna, and a multilayer stacked lens consisting of the concentric hatch-crosses is used to focus the electromagnetic waves. The far-field characteristics of the horn antenna and the lens antenna are both studied. Furthermore, the effects of the number of periods of the lens and the focus diameter ratio on radiation characteristics are studied by using variable-controlling approach. The experimental results show that both the diagonal horn antenna and the lens antenna have axisymmetric radiation patterns. The gain of the horn antenna ranges from 23.8 dB to 24.9 dB, and the 3 dB main lobe beamwidth varies from 10.8° to 12.4°. The gain of the lens antenna is higher than 26.4 dB, and the 3 dB main lobe beamwidth is lower than 4.8° across the operation bandwidth. The good focusing characteristics and great directionality indicate that the designed lens antenna is qualified for applications in THz wireless communication systems.
2. Thampy, A. S. and S. K. Dhamodharan, "Performance analysis and comparison of MWCNT loaded ITO and TIO based optically transparent patch antennas for terahertz communications," Physica E: Low-dimensional Systems and Nanostructures, Vol. 78, 123-129, 2016.
3. Yang, Y., M. Mandehgar, and D. Grischkowsky, "THz-TDS characterization of the digital communication channels of the atmosphere and the enabled applications," Journal of Infrared, Millimeter, and Terahertz Waves, Vol. 36, No. 2, 97-129, 2015.
4. Melinger, J. S., et al., "THz detection of small molecule vapors in the atmospheric transmission windows," Optics Express, Vol. 20, No. 6, 6788-6807, 2012.
5. Hirata, A. and M. Yaita, "Ultrafast terahertz wireless communications technologies," IEEE Transactions on Terahertz Science and Technology, Vol. 5, No. 6, 1128-1132, 2015.
6. Lin, C. and G. Y. Li, "Adaptive beamforming with resource allocation for distance-aware multiuser indoor terahertz communications," IEEE Transactions on Communications, Vol. 63, No. 8, 2985-2995, 2015.
7. Ma, H. F., et al., "A broadband metamaterial cylindrical lens antenna," Chinese Science Bulletin, Vol. 55, No. 19, 2066-2070, 2010.
8. Jha, K. R. and G. Singh, "Ring resonator-integrated hemi-elliptical lens antenna," Terahertz Planar Antennas for Next Generation Communication, 83-105, Springer International Publishing, 2014.
9. Pascal, O., F. LemaItre, and G. Soum, "Design of a Gaussian optic lens antenna and effective parameters study," Annales des T´el´ecommunications, Vol. 53, No. 3–4, 145-153, Springer-Verlag, 1998.
10. Karimkashi, S. and A. A. Kishk, "Focusing properties of Fresnel zone plate lens antennas in the near-field region," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 59, No. 5, 1481-1487, 2011.
11. Llombart, N., et al., "Novel terahertz antenna based on a silicon lens fed by a leaky wave enhanced waveguide," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 59, No. 6, 2160-2168, 2011.
12. Singh, N., et al., "Performance comparison of phase shifting surface lens antenna with other lens antennas," 2014 International Conference on Power, Control and Embedded Systems (ICPCES), IEEE, 1-6, 2014.
13. Aragon-Zavala, A., Antennas and Propagation for Wireless Communication Systems, John Wiley & Sons, 2008.
14. Kamburov, L. P., et al., "Millimeter-wave conical fresnel zone lens of flat dielectric rings," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 62, No. 4, 2140-2148, 2014.
15. Ooi, B. L., et al., "PSTD-FDTD analysis for complex irregular fresnel zone plates," The Second European Conference on Antennas and Propagation, EuCAP 2007, 1-6, 2007.
16. Hristov, H. D., et al., "Conical double-dielectric fresnel zone lens and antenna," Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, IEEE, Vol. 17, No. 5, 325-327, 2007.
17. Minin, I. V. and O. V. Minin, Diffractional Optics of Millimetre Waves, CRC Press, 2004.
18. Liu, Y. and Y. Ge, "Design of high efficiency broadband fresnel zone lens antenna at K band," 2015 IEEE 4th Asia-Pacific Conference on Antennas and Propagation (APCAP), 317-318, 2015.
19. Sabatyan, A. and J. Rafighdoost, "Focusing specification of cross-like Fresnel zone plate," Optik- International Journal for Light and Electron Optics, Vol. 126, No. 24, 4796-4799, 2015.
20. Goto, M., et al., "Teflon photonic crystal fiber as terahertz waveguide," Japanese Journal of Applied Physics, Vol. 43, No. 2B, L317, 2004.
21. Stutzman, W. L. and G. A. Thiele, Antenna Theory and Design, John Wiley & Sons, 2012.