A novel tri-band pattern reconfigurable planar antenna is proposed. Tri-band is achieved by inserting a bandstop filter at the feed line of a wideband monopole antenna with complementary split ring resonator (CSRR) on a circular patch. Two parasitic arc-shaped stubs are in the back side of the radiator that works as a reflector. The antenna radiation pattern is switched from omnidirectional to one of two different directional modes by activating one of the stubs. Three different radiation modes are controlled by four ideal switches. Radiation pattern reconfigurability makes it suitable for the use of flexible cognitive radio front-end system. The proposed antenna is suitable for WLAN 2.4/5.2/5.8 GHz and WiMAX 3.5/5.5 GHz applications. Good agreement between simulated and measured results validates its possible application.
2. Rahanandeh, M., N. Amin, M. Hosseinzadeh, P. Rezai, and M. S. Rostami, "A compact multiband monopole antenna for WLAN/WiMAX applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 23, 147-155, 2011.
3. Liu, H., C. Ku, and C. Yang, "Novel CPW-fed planar monopole antenna for WiMAX/WLAN applications," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 9, 240-243, 2010.
4. Koley, S. and D. Mitra, "A planar microstrip-fed tri-band filtering antenna for WLAN/WiMAX applications," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 57, 233-237, 2015.
5. Cao, W., B. Zhang, A. Liu, T. Yu, D. Guo, and K. Pan, "A reconfigurable microstrip antenna with radiation pattern selectivity and polarization diversity," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 11, 453-456, 2012.
6. Tarn, I.-Y. and S. Chung, "A novel pattern diversity reflector antenna using reconfigurable frequency selective reflectors," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 57, 3035-3042, 2009.
7. Shi, Z., R. Zheng, J. Ding, and C. Guo, "A novel pattern-reconfigurable antenna using switched printed elements," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 11, 1100-1103, 2012.
8. Ko, C., I.-Y. Tarn, and S. Chung, "A compact dual-band pattern diversity antenna by dualband reconfigurable frequency-selective reflectors with a minimum number of switches," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 61, 646-654, 2013.
9. Li, Z., E. Ahmed, A. Eltawil, and B. Cetiner, "A beam-steering reconfigurable antenna for WLAN applications," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 63, 24-32, 2015.
10. Qin, P., Y. Guo, A. Weily, and C.-H. Liang, "A pattern reconfigurable U-slot antenna and its applications in MIMO systems," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 60, 516-528, 2012.
11. Kang, W., S. Lee, and K. Kim, "Design of symmetric beam pattern reconfigurable antenna," Electronics Letters, Vol. 46, 1536-1537, 2010.
12. Kang, W., J. Park, and Y. Yoon, "Simple reconfigurable antenna with radiation pattern," Electronics Letters, Vol. 44, 182-183, 2008.
13. Aboufoul, T., C. Parini, X. Chen, and A. Alomainy, "Pattern-reconfigurable planar circular ultrawideband monopole antenna," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 61, 4973-4980, 2013.
14. Wu, S. and T. Ma, "A wideband slotted bow-tie antenna with reconfigurable cpw-to-slotline transition for pattern diversity," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 56, 327-334, 2008.
15. Alsath, M., B. Sridhar, K. Malathi, R. Kumar, N. Karthik, and A. Henridass, "A dual band frequency and pattern reconfigurable dielectric resonator antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 27, 115-128, 2012.
16. Kim, J., C. Cho, and J. Lee, "5.2GHz notched ultra-wideband antenna using slot-type SRR," Electronics Letters, Vol. 42, 315-316, 2006.