This paper presents a microstrip wideband antenna and its utilization in integration of multiple wireless communication systems. A simple fork-like strip antenna, fed by a coplanar-waveguide (CPW) transmission line, is designed to excite a right-hand circularly polarized wave at 1.57 GHz. A rectangular patch is added at the end of one prong to enhance the circular polarization performance. By modifying the geometry of the ground plane, a left-hand circularly polarized wave is excited at 2.33 GHz, and the wideband frequency response is derived. To reduce the lower resonant frequency, a stub is added at the left side of the ground plane. The measured impedance bandwidth of reflection coefficients (S11) < -10 dB ranges from 1.49 to 2.92 GHz, which satisfies the system bandwidths of most of commercial wireless communication systems. The 3-dB axial-ratio bandwidths are approximately 40 MHz at the lower band (1.57 GHz) and 290 MHz at the upper band (2.33 GHz).
2. Wang, C. J., M. H. Shih, and L. T. Chen, "A wideband open-slot antenna with dual-band circular polarization," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 14, 1306-1309, 2015.
3. Bao, X. L. and M. J. Ammann, "Monofilar spiral slot antenna for dual-frequency dual-sense circular polarization," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propag., Vol. 59, No. 8, 3061-3065, Aug. 2011.
4. Weng, W. C., J. Y. Sze, and C. F. Chen, "A dual-broadband circularly polarized slot antenna for WLAN applications," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propag., Vol. 62, No. 5, 2837-2841, May 2014.
5. Chen, H. D. and H. T. Chen, "A CPW-fed dual-frequency monopole antenna," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propag., Vol. 52, No. 4, 978-982, Apr. 2004.
6. Liu, W. C., "Wideband dual-frequency double inverted-L CPW-fed monopole antenna for WLAN application," IEE Proc. — Microw. Antennas Propag., Vol. 152, No. 6, 505-510, 2005.
7. Kim, J. I. and Y. Jee, "Design of ultrawideband coplanar waveguide-fed LI-shaped planar monopole antenna," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 6, 383-387, 2007.
8. Chang, C. H. and K. L. Wong, "Internal coupled-fed shorted monopole antenna for GSM850/900/1800/1900/UMTS operation in the laptop computer," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propag., Vol. 56, No. 11, 3600-3604, Nov. 2008.
9. Wang, C. J. and Y. C. Lin, "New CPW-fed monopole antennas with both linear and circular polarisations," IET Microw. Antennas Propag., Vol. 2, No. 5, 466-472, Aug. 2008.
10. Wang, C. J., "A wideband loop-like monopole antenna with circular polarization," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 53, No. 11, 2556-2560, Nov. 2011.
11. Zhang, L., Y. C. Jiao, Y. Ding, B. Chen, and Z. B.Weng, "CPW-fed broadband circularly polarized planar monopole antenna with improved ground-plane structure," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propag., Vol. 61, No. 9, 4824-4828, Sep. 2013.
12. Wang, C. J. and K. L. Hsiao, "CPW-Fed monopole antenna for multiple system integration," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propag., Vol. 62, No. 2, 1007-1011, Feb. 2014.
13. Jou, C. F., J. W. Wu, and C. J. Wang, "Novel broadband monopole antennas with dual-band circular polarization," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propag., Vol. 57, No. 4, 1207-1034, Apr. 2009.
14. Lu, J. H. and C. W. Liou, "Planar dual-band circular polarization monopole antenna for wireless local area networks," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 14, 478-481, 2015.
15. Bor, S. S., T. Lu, J. C. Liu, and B. H. Zeng, "Fractal monopole-like antenna with series Hilbertcurves for WLAN dual-band and circular polarization applications," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 51, No. 4, 876-880, 2009.
16. Rezaeieh, S. A., "Dual band dual sense circularly polarised monopole antenna for GPS and WLAN applications," Electron. Lett., Vol. 47, No. 22, 1212-1214, Oct. 2011.