As important fundamental equipment, high voltage switchgears are widely used in electric power systems and directly relative to the power reliability and quality. Partial discharge (PD) online monitoring is one of the most effective methods used for insulation testing and diagnosis in high voltage switchgears and power systems. This paper proposes a unique ultra-wide-band (UWB) antenna with high performance for PD ultra-high-frequency (UHF) detection in high voltage switchgears. Actual PD experiments were carried out, and the designed antenna was used for PD measurements. The measured results demonstrate that the proposed antenna has wide work frequency band, good omnidirectional radiation patterns and appreciable gain, which indicate that the proposed antenna is suitable for UHF online monitoring of PDs in high voltage switchgears.
2. Coenen, S., et al., "Sensitivity of UHF PD measurements in power transformers," IEEE Trans. Dielectr. Electr. Insul., Vol. 15, 1553-1558, 2008.
3. Kweon, D. J., S. B. Chin, and H. R. Kwak, "The analysis of ultrasonic signals by partial discharge and noise from the transformer," IEEE Trans. Power Del., Vol. 20, 1976-1983, 2005.
4. Chen, L. J., T. P. Tsao, and Y. H. Lin, "New diagnosis approach to epoxy resin transformer partial discharge using acoustic technology," IEEE Trans. Power Del., Vol. 20, 2501-2508, 2005.
5. Yao, C., et al., "Study on the application of an ultra-high-frequency fractal antenna to partial discharge detection in switchgears," Sensors, Vol. 13, 17362-17378, 2013.
6. Ren, M., et al., "Transient earth voltage measurement in PD detection of artificial defect models in SF6," IEEE Trans. Plasma Sci., Vol. 40, 2002-2008, 2012.
7. Li, J., et al., "UHF stacked Hilbert antenna array for partial discharge," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 61, No. 11, 5798-5801, 2013.
8. Zhang, L., et al., "Wideband circularly polarized planar monopole antenna for wireless communication applications," International Journal of Applied Electromagnetics & Mechanics, Vol. 49, No. 3, 427-434, 2015.
9. Alama, T., et al., "A quadrilateral shape broadband antenna for wireless application," International Journal of Applied Electromagnetics & Mechanics, Vol. 50, No. 1, 45-49, 2016.
10. Luo, Y., S. Ji, and Y. Li, "Phased-ultrasonic receiving-planar array transducer for partial discharge location in transformer," IEEE Trans. Dielectr. Electr. Insul., Vol. 53, No. 3, 614-622, 2006.
11. Robles, G., R. Albarracın, and J. M. Martınez-Tarifa, "Shielding effect of power transformers tanks in the ultra-high-frequency detection of partial discharges," IEEE Trans. Dielectr. Electr. Insul., Vol. 20, No. 2, 678-684, 2013.
12. Robles, G., et al., "Antenna parametrization for the detection of partial discharges," IEEE Trans. Instrum. Meas., Vol. 62, No. 5, 932-941, 2013.
13. Li, T., M. Rong, C. Zheng, and X. Wang, "Development simulation and experiment study on UHF partial discharge sensor in GIS," IEEE Trans. Dielectr. Electr. Insul., Vol. 19, No. 4, 1421-1430, 2013.
14. Li, J., T. Jiang, R. F. Harrison, and S. Grzybowski, "Recognition of ultra high frequency partial discharge signals using multi-scale features," IEEE Trans. Dielectr. Electr. Insul., Vol. 19, No. 4, 1412-1420, 2012.
15. Li, J., T. Jiang, C. Wang, and C. Cheng, "Optimization of UHF Hilbert antenna for partial discharge detection of transformers," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 60, No. 5, 2536-2540, 2012.
16. Shibuya, Y., S. Matsumoto, T. Konno, and K. Umezu, "Electromagnetic waves from partial discharges in windings and their detection by patch antenna," IEEE Trans. Dielectr. Electr. Insul., Vol. 18, No. 6, 2013-2023, 2011.
17. Hikita, M., S. Ohtsuka, G. Ueta, S. Okabe, T. Hoshino, and S. Maruyama, "Influence of insulating spacer type on propagation properties of PD-induced electromagnetic wave in GIS," IEEE Trans. Dielectr. Electr. Insul., Vol. 17, No. 5, 1642-1648, 2010.
18. Hoshino, T., K. Kato, and N. Hayakawwa, "A novel technique for detecting electromagnetic wave caused by partial discharge in GIS," IEEE Trans. Power Del., Vol. 16, 545-551, 2001.
19. Sarathi, R. and R. Umamaheswari, "Understanding the partial discharge activity of conducting particles in GIS under DC voltages using the UHF technique," European Transaction on Electric Power, Vol. 20, 591-599, 2010.
20. Tang, Z. G., et al., "Partial discharge location in power transformers using wideband RF detection," IEEE Trans. Dielectr. Electr. Insul., Vol. 13, 1193-1199, 2006.
21. Judd, M. D., O. Farish, and B. F. Hampton, "Excitation of UHF signals by partial discharges in GIS," IEEE Trans. Dielectr. Electr. Insul., Vol. 3, No. 2, 213-228, 1996.
22. Ye, H., Y. Qian, Y. Dong, G. Sheng, and X. Jiang, "Development of multi-band ultra-highfrequency sensor for partial discharge monitoring based on the meandering technique," IET Sci. Meas. Technol., Vol. 8, 327-335, 2014.
23. Masood, U.-R., et al., "Design of band-notched ultra wideband antenna for indoor and wearable wireless communications," IET, Microw. Antennas Propag., Vol. 9, No. 3, 243-251, 2015.
24. Koohestani, M. and M. Golpour, "U-shaped microstrip patch antenna with novel parasitic tuning stubs for ultra wideband applications," IET, Microw. Antennas Propag., Vol. 4, No. 7, 938-946, 2010.
25. Kima, C. B., et al., "Wideband notched compact UWB antenna," International Journal of Applied Electromagnetics & Mechanics, Vol. 28, No. 12, 101-110, 2008.
26. Liu, H. H., C. Ku, and C. Yang, "Novel CPW-fed planar monopole antenna for WiMAX/WLAN applications," IEEE Antennas Wireless Proper. Let., Vol. 9, 240-243, 2010.
27. Pearson, J. S., B. F. Hampton, and A. G. Sellers, "A continuous UHF monitor for gas-insulated substations," IEEE Transactions on Electrical Insulation, Vol. 26, 469-478, 1991.
28. Lopez-Roldan, J., T. Tang, and M. Gaskin, "Optimization of a sensor for onsite detection of partial discharges in power transformers by the UHF method," IEEE Trans. Dielectr. Electr. Insul., Vol. 15, No. 6, 1634-1639, 2008.