This paper proposes a fully integrated broadband power amplifier for LTE-A application using GaAs HBT process. To improve the linearity and broadband performance, RC feedback structures and dynamic bias circuits are employed and designed through optimization. With careful design of the broadband matching networks in the proposed 3-stage power amplifier topology, a power gain above 21.6 dB is achieved from 1.8 GHz to 2.8 GHz. Driven by an 80 MHz wideband LTE-A signal with PAPR of 7.5 dB, the designed RF power amplifier achieves an average output power about 22 dBm at ACLR=-30 dBc over the entire 1 GHz frequency band. Considering the broad bandwidth of the driven signal and wide frequency coverage bandwidth, the performance merits of the proposed design compare favorably with the state-of-the-art.
2. Ye, W., K. Ma, and K. S. Yeo, "A 2-to-6 GHz class-AB power amplifier with 28.4% PAE in 65 nm CMOS supporting 256QAM," IEEE Int. Solid-State Circuits Conf., 38-39, 2015.
3. Kim, K., J. Ko, S. Lee, and S. Nam, "A two-stage broadband fully integrated CMOS linear power amplifier for LTE applications," IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems II: Express Briefs, Vol. 63, No. 6, 533-537, 2016.
4. Francois, B. and P. Reynaert, "Highly linear fully integrated wideband RF PA for LTE-advanced in 180-nm SOI," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, 649-658, 2015.
5. Kang, D., et al., "1.6–2.1GHz broadband Doherty power amplifiers for LTE handset applications," Microwave Symposium Digest (MTT), 2011 IEEE MTT-S International, 1-4, Baltimore, MD, 2011.
6. Ding, X. and L. Zhang, "A high-efficiency GaAs MMIC power amplifier for multi-standard system," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, 55-57, 2016.
7. Jagadheswaran, U. R., H. Ramiah, P. I. Mak, and R. P. Martins, "A 2-μm InGaP/GaAs class-J power amplifier for multi-band LTE achieving 35.8-dB gain, 40.5% to 55.8% PAE and 28-dBm linear output power," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, 200-209, 2016.
8. Stefania, S., M. Baker, and I. Toufik, LTE: The UMTS Long Term Evolution: From Theory to Practice, Wiley, Southern Gate, UK, 2009.
9. Carvalho, N. and J. Pedro, "Compact formulas to relate ACPR and NPR to two-tone IMR and IPE," Microw. J., 70-84, 1999.
10. Noh, Y. S. and C. S. Park, "PCS/W-CDMA dual-band MMIC power amplifier with a newly proposed linearizing bias circuit," IEEE Journal of Solid-State Circuits, 1096-1099, 2002.
11. Bahl, I. J., Fundamentals of RF and Microwave Transistor Amplifiers, Wiley, Hoboken, New Jersey, 2009.
12. Rollett, J., "Stability and power-gain invariants of linear two ports," IRE Transactions on Circuit Theory, Vol. 9, No. 1, 29-32, Mar. 1962.