This paper investigates the design of a small antenna on a silicon substrate. The antenna on silicon substrate will be used for integration in a silicon-based GaN TR module. This Co-Planar Waveguide (CPW)-fed antenna has been successfully miniaturized up to λ/4 about 20% reductions by adding a slot to the patch antenna. Promising results are obtained from the antenna simulation and measurement. From the measurement result, the antenna bandwidth is 45% (4.8 GHz-7.5 GHz) with measured gain about 2.5 dBi over frequency range of 5 GHz-7.4 GHz.
2. Chan, Y. K. and V. C. Koo, "The design and development of unmanned aerial vehicle synthetic aperture radar," PIERS Online, Vol. 7, No. 7, 685-688, 2011.
3. Caris, S. S. M., H. Essen, A. Leuther, A. Tessmann, R. Weber, M. Malanowski, P. Samczynski, K. Kulpa, G. Meszoly, A. C. Papanastasiou, C. Topping, G. E. Georgiou, R. Guraly, and Z. Bilacz, "Synthetic aperture radar for all weather penetrating UAV application (SARAPE) — Project presentation, synthetic aperture radar," EUSAR 9th European Conference, 290-293, 2012.
4. Nouvel, J. F., S. Nouvel, and O. Du Plessis, "A low-cost imaging radar: Drive on board ONERA Motorglider," IEEE International Geoscience and Remote Sensing Symposium, 2007, IGARSS 2007, 5306-5309, 2007.
5. Zaugg, E. C., D. L. Hudson, and D. G. Long, "The microASAR experiment on CASIE-09," Proceedings of the International Geoscience and Remote Sensing Symposium, Honolulu, HI, 2010.
6. Blanck, H., et al., "Industrial GaN FET technology," International Journal of Microwave and Wireless Technologies, Vol. 2, 21-32, 2010.
7. Piotrowicz, S., et al., "Broadband AlGaN/GaN high power amplifiers, robust LNAs, and power switches in L-band," European Microwave Conference, 2009, EuMC 2009, 1784-1787, 2009.
8. Florian, C., R. Cignani, D. Niessen, and A. Santarelli, "A C-band AlGaN-GaN MMIC HPA for SAR," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 22, 471-473, 2012.
9. Bettidi, A., et al., "High power GaN-HEMT microwave switches for X-band and wideband applications," IEEE Radio Frequency Integrated Circuits Symposium, 2008, RFIC 2008, 329-332, 2008.
10. Whelan, C. S., N. J. Kolias, S. Brierley, C. MacDonald, and S. Bernstein, "GaN technology for radars," CS MANTECH Conference, Boston, Massachusetts, USA, April 23–26, 2012.
11. Kolias, N. J. and M. T. Borkowski, "The development of T/R modules for radar applications," 2012 IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Symposium Digest (MTT), 1-3, UK, 2012.
12. Bettidi, A., et al., "Innovative T/R module in state-of-the-art GaN technology," IEEE Radar Conference, 2008, RADAR’08, 1-5, 2008.
13. Harris, M., R. Howard, and T. Wallace, "GaN-based components for transmit/receive modules in active electronically scanned arrays," CS MANTECH Conference, 99-101, New Orleans, Louisiana, USA, 2013.
14. Barigelli, A., et al., "Development of GaN based MMIC for next generation X-band space SAR T/R module," 2012 7th European Microwave Integrated Circuits Conference (EuMIC), 369-372, 2012.
15. Younkyu, C., et al., "AlGaN/GaN HFET power amplifier integrated with microstrip antenna for RF front-end applications," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 51, 653-659, 2003.
16. Abdel-Aziz, H. G. M., H. F. Ragaie, and H. Haddam, "Microstrip patch antenna using silicon micromachining technology," The Twenteith National Radio Science Conference, Cairo, Egypt, 2003.
17. Ibrahim, A. and D. R. S. Cumming, "A micromachined 10GHz meander dipole antenna on high resistivity silicon substrate for remote sensing applications," Loughborough Antennas & Propagation Conference, 2009, LAPC 2009, 345-347, 2009.
18. Yazdandoost, K. Y. and K. Hamaguchi, "Very small UWB antenna For WBAN applications, medical information & communication technology (ISMICT)," 5th International Symposium, Nat. Inst. of Inf. & Commun. Technol., 70-73, Yokosuka, Japan, 2011.
19. Guo, X. L., Y. Jin, L. Liu, W. X. Ouyang, and Z. S. Lai, "Design and fabrication of miniature antenna based on silicon substrate for wireless communications," Science China Series F-information Science, Science in China, Vol. 51, 586-591, May 2008.
20. Jamil, H., J. Scott, and K. Ghorbani, "CPW antenna for miniaturization of sar system front-end," 2012 Asia-Pacific Microwave Conference Proceedings (APMC), 720-722, 2012.
21. Garg, B., R. D. Verma, and A. Samadhiya, "Design of rectangular microstrip patch antenna incorporated with innovative metamaterial structure for dual band operation and amelioration in patch antenna parameters with negative μ and ε," International Journal of Engineering and Technology, Vol. 1, 205-216, 2012.
22. Collin, R. E., Foundations for Microwave Engineering, McGraw-Hill, New York, 1992.
23. Chair, R., A. A. Kishk, and K. F. Lee, "Ultrawide-band coplanar waveguide-fed rectangular slot antenna," IEEE Antenna and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 3, 227-229, 2004.
24. Chen, H.-D., "Broadband CPW-fed square slot antennas with a widened tuning stub," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 51, 1982-1986, 2003.
25. Kumar, R., J. P. Shinde, and M. D. Uplane, "Effect of slots in ground plane and patch on microstrip antenna performance," International Journal of Recent Trends in Engineering, Vol. 2, 34-36, November 2009.
26. Wong, K.-L. and W. S. Chen, "Compact microstrip antenna with dual frequency operation," Electronics Letters, Vol. 33, 646-647, April 1997.
27. Vani, R. M. V., et al., "A shorted rectangular microstrip antenna with slots in ground plane," IE(I) Journal-ET, Vol. 87, 19-20, July 2006.
28. Shrama, B., V. Sharma, K. B. Sharma, and D. Bhatnagar, "Broadband semielliptical patch antenna with semicircular ring slot for Wi-Max application," Chinese Journal of Engineering, Vol. 2014, 7 pages, Article ID 379073, 2014.
29. Rafiee, M., M. F. Ain, and M. S. Aftanasar, "A new ultra-wideband antenna with unique ground plane shape," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 35, 165-179, 2012.
30. Rajput, M. K., D. Prabhav, and C. Karade, "Design of a wide slot antenna for bandwidth enhancement for wireless communication application," International Journal of Innovative Technology and Exploring Engineering, 158-161, 2013.