In this article, a method of broadband flat gain enhancement for a planar double-dipole quasi-Yagi antenna using multiple directors is proposed. The proposed antenna consists of two dipole drivers with different lengths, a truncated ground plane, and three parasitic strip directors. First, the length ratio of the two dipoles is adjusted to increase the gain in the low-frequency region. Next, three parasitic strip directors are employed to increase the impedance bandwidth and improve the gain of the antenna in the middle- and high-frequency regions. A detailed design procedure for the proposed antenna, covering a frequency band of 1.70-2.70 GHz with a gain > 8 dBi, is explained, along with a step-by-step analysis of the effects of placing each director on input impedance, voltage standing wave ratio (VSWR), and gain characteristics. Experiment results show that the proposed antenna has the desired impedance characteristics with a frequency band of 1.66-2.88 GHz (53.7%) for a VSWR < 2, and a stable flat gain of 8.0-8.4 dBi in the 1.70-2.70 GHz frequency range. Moreover, a measured front-to-back ratio > 11 dB within the band is achieved.
2. DeJean, G. R. and M. M. Tentzeris, "A new high-gain microstrip Yagi array antenna with a high front-to-back (F/B) ratio for WLAN and millimeter-wave applications," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 55, No. 2, 298-304, Feb. 2007.
3. Wang, H., S.-F. Liu, W.-T. Li, and X.-W. Shi, "Design of a wideband planar microstrip-fed quasi- Yagi antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 46, 19-24, 2014.
4. Cai, Y., Y. J. Guo, and T. S. Bird, "A frequency reconfigurable printed Yagi-Uda dipole antenna for cognitive radio applications," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 60, No. 6, 2905-2912, Jun. 2012.
5. Chang, T. N. and J. M. Lin, "Enhanced return-loss and flat-gain bandwidths for microstrip patch antenna," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 59, No. 11, 4322-4325, Nov. 2011.
6. Yeo, J. and J.-I. Lee, "Broadband series-fed two dipole array antenna with an integrated balun for mobile communication applications," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 54, No. 9, 2166-2168, Jun. 2012.
7. Hu, S., W. B. Dou, and C. L. Law, "A tapered slot antenna with flat and high gain for ultrawideband applications," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 23, No. 5–6, 723-728, 2009.
8. Cui, L., W. Wu, and D.-G. Fang, "Printed frequency beam-scanning antenna with flat gain and low sidelobe levels," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 12, 292-295, 2013.
9. Ranga, Y., A. K. Verma, K. P. Esselle, and S. G. Hay, "An ultra-wideband quasi-planar antenna with enhanced gain," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 49, 59-65, 2014.