Development of new network standards leads to the use of bulky base station antennas. Their wide surfaces are not compatible with integration constraints in urban areas. As the antenna is composed of a high number of radiating elements, reducing the surface of each element is a way to reduce the antenna surface. Compact radiating element would allow integration of several antennas on the initial surface. In this paper, a new compact antenna is designed in order to obtain up to four antennas at the place of one. The antenna gain and horizontal Half Power Beamwidth (HPBW) should be maintained. The size reduction is obtained by dielectric embedding. In order to determine the dielectric characteristics in which the antenna must be immersed, a theoretical model is proposed in this paper. Simulations and measurements are provided to show the evolution of the antenna's performances in order to achieve manufacturer's specifications.
2. Larsson, E., O. Edfors, F. Tufvesson, and T. Marzetta, "Massive MIMO for next generation wireless systems," IEEE Communications Magazine, Vol. 52, No. 2, 186-195, 2014.
3. Smith, M., D. Kitchener, and D. K. Power, "Multi-band cellular base station," Antenna, Google Patents, 2001, https://google/patents/US6211841.
4. Lyou, M. and L. Bomson, "Compact size dual-polarized WLL base-station antenna using aperture coupled microstrip patches," 2000 International Symposium on Antennas and Propagation (ISAP), Vol. 4, 2200-2203, 2000.
5. Kwon, S., L. Bomson, and C. Jongin, "Compact size dual-polarized diversity microstrip antenna for IMT-2000 base-station," 2001 International Symposium on Antennas and Propagation (ISAP), Vol. 2, 38-41, 2001.
6. Lee, J.-N., K.-C. Lee, and G.-D. Jo, "Design of the dual-polarized dipole antenna for small base station," 2012 International Symposium on Antennas and Propagation (ISAP), 1059-1062, 2012.
7. Liu, Y., H. Yi, F.-W. Wang, and S.-X. Gong, "A novel miniaturized broadband dual-polarized dipole antenna for base station," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 12, 2013.
8. Sanz-Izquierdo, B., J. C. Batchelor, R. J. Langley, and M. I. Sobhy, "Single and double layer planar multiband PIFAS,", Vol. 54, No. 5, 1416-1422, May 2006.
9. Martin, L., E. Motta Cruz, B. Froppier, and T. Razban, "New heterogeneous superstrate high gain antenna," 2015 9th European Conference on Antennas and Propagation (EuCAP), Lisbon, 2015.
10. Hajj, M., E. Rodes, D. Serhal, T. Mon´edi`ere, B. Jecko, and R. Chantalat, "Metallic EBG superstrates for dual polarized sectoral base station antenna," EuCAP 2009, 2859-2861, Berlin, 2009.
11. Balanis, C., Antenna Theory: Analysis and Design, 3 Ed., 579, Wiley-Interscience, Hodoken, NJ, 2005.