In this study, we present an implementation of Ultra wide band (UWB) Koch Snowflake antenna for Radio Frequency Identification (RFID) applications. The compact antenna, based on the Koch Snowflake shape, is fed by coplanar waveguide (CPW) and microstrip line with an overall size of 31x27x1.6 mm3. The simulation analysis is performed by CST Microwave Studio and compared with HFSS software. The antenna design exhibits a very wide operating bandwidth of 13 GHz (3.4-16.4 GHz) and 11 GHz (3.5-14.577 GHz) with return loss better than 10 dB for microstrip line antenna and CPW antenna respectively. A prototype of CPW and microstrip antenna was fabricated on an FR4 substrate and measured. Simulated and measured results are in close agreement. The small size of the antenna and the obtained results show that the proposed antenna is an excellent candidate for UWB-RFID localization system applications.
2. Finkenzeller, K., RFID Handbook, 2 Ed., Wiley and Sons, 2003.
3. Toccafondi, A. and C. D. Giovampaola, "Design and analysis of a compact antenna for UWB RFID applications," 2012 IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium (APSURSI), 1-2, Jul. 8–14, 2012.
4. Aldhaeebi, M., K. Jamil, and A. R. Sebak, "Ultra-wideband antenna for RFID underground oil industry application," 2014 2nd International Conference Artificial Intelligence, Modelling and Simulation (AIMS), 333-338, Nov. 18–20, 2014.
5. Alomainy, A., A. Sani, J. Rahman, G. Santas, and Y. Hao, "Transient characteristics of wearable antennas and radio propagation channels for ultra wideband body-centric wireless communications," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, 875-884, 2009.
6. Hayashi, M. and N. Sato, "A fundamental study of bistatic UWB radar for detection of buried objects," Proceeding of the 2008 IEEE International Conference on Ultra-Wideband, 125-128, 2008.
7. Daniels, J. D., Surface-penetrating Radar (IEE Radar, Sonar Navigation Avionics Series, 6), 72-93, IEEE Press, New York, 1996.
8. Teo, J., Y. Chen, and C. Soh, "An overview of radar based ultra wideband breast cancer detection algorithms," International Journal of Ultra Wideband Communications and Systems, Vol. 1, 273-281, 2010.
9. Solis, M. A. P., G. M. G. Tejada, and H. J. Aguilar, "State of the art in ultra-wideband antennas," 2005 2nd International Conference Electrical and Electronics Engineering, 101-105, Sep. 7–9, 2005.
10. Jahroni, M. N. and A. Falahati, "Classic miniature fractal monopole antenna for UWB applications," Proceding of ICTTA, Damascus, Syria, 2008.
11. Jahromi, M. N. and N. Komjani, "Analysis of a modified Sierpinski Gasket monopole antenna printed on dual band wireless devices," IEEE Transaction on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 52, 2571-2579, 2004.
12. Song, C. T. P., P. S. Hall, H. G. Shiraz, and D. Wake, "“Fractal stacked monopole with very wide bandwidth," Electron. Lett., Vol. 35, 945-946, 1999.
13. Lim, K.-S., M. Nagalingam, and C.-P. Tan, "Design and construction of microstrip UWB antenna with time domain analysis," Progress In Electromagnetic Research M, Vol. 3, 153-164, 2008.
14. Gautam, A. K., Y. Swati, and K. Binod, "A CPW-fed compact UWB microstrip antenna," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 12, 151-154, 2013.
15., , CST Tool, available on https://www.cst.com.
16., , HFSS Tool, available on http://ansoft-hfss.software.informer.com/13.0/.
17. J., C. C. Chiau, X. Chen, C. G. Parini, "Liang," Electron. Lett., Vol. 40, No. 20, 1246-1247, Sep. 30, 2004.
18. Zarrabi, F. B., Z. Mansouri, N. P. Gandji, and H. Kuhestani, "Triple notch UWB monopole antenna with fractal Koch and T-shape stub," AEUE — International Journal of Electronics and Communications, Vol. 70, No. 1, 64-69, 2015.
19. Sasibhushana Rao, G., K. Srinivasa Kumar, and R. Pillalamarri, "Cross-shaped slot printed UWB monopole antenna with notch function," Microsystem Technologies, Vol. 21, No. 11, 2327-2330, 2015.
20. Sasibhushana Rao, G., K. Srinivasa Kumar, and R. Pillalamarri, "Printed planar circular radiating patch ultra wideband antennas," Microsystem Technologies, Vol. 21, No. 11, 2321-2325, 2015.
21. Borja, C. and J. Romeu, "On the behavior of Koch island fractal boundary microstrip patch antenna," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 51, No. 6, 1281-1291, Jun. 2003.
22. Hoole, P. R. P., K. Pirapaharan, and S. R. H. Hoole, Analyse and Design of Electrical and Electronic Device and Systems, WIT Press, 2013.