A novel fork monopole antenna is presented using metamaterial structures. The prototype monopole antenna consists of split-ring-resonators (SRR) as an electric-LC resonator and small ground. To prove the concept, the prototype antenna is designed and fabricated for wireless communication systems. The monopole structure makes UWB impedance bandwidth condition for 2-12 GHz. On the other hand, the prototype antenna shows dual notch band characteristics at 3.5-4.5 GHz and 5.3-6 GHz for WiMAX and WLAN rejection. The prototype antenna radiates omnidirectionally and has a gain altered between -4.5 and 6.2 dBi in 2.5-12 GHz, with an average gain of 4.2 dBi. The metamaterial model is suggested for the CRLH (ELC) resonator, and in addition, the parametric study for CRLH (ELC) resonator is presented for clarification of its manner on resonance controlling. Here, the final model antenna is fabricated on an FR-4, and experimental results are compared with simulations.
2. Jiang, W. and W. Che, "A novel UWB antenna with dual notched bands for WiMAX and WLAN applications," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 11, 293-296, 2012.
3. Saee Arezoomand, A., R. A. Sadeghzadeh, and M. Naser-Moghadasi, "Investigation and improvement of the phase-center characteristics of VIVALDI’s antenna for UWB applications," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 58, No. 6, 1275-1281, 2016.
4. Brar, R. S., S. Singhal, and A. K. Singh, "Fractal dipole antenna for UWB applications," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 58, No. 1, 39-47, 2016.
5. Choe, H. H. and S. J. Lim, "Ultrawideband compact U-shaped antenna with inserted narrow strip and inverted T-shaped slot," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 56, No. 10, 2265-2269, 2014.
6. Yang, L., Y. H. Cui, and R. L. Li, "A multiband uniplanar antenna for LTE/GSM/UMTS, GPS, and WLAN/WiMAX handsets," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 57, No. 12, 2761-2765, 2015.
7. Naser-Moghadasi, M., T. Sedgee, and C. Yekan, "Semifractal antenna with dual-bands filtering and circular polarization properties using SCBP and MDGS structures," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 57, No. 11, 2483-2487, 2015.
8. Mardani, H., C. Ghobadi, and J. Nourinia, "A simple compact monopole antenna with variable single-and double-filtering function for UWB applications," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propagation Letter, Vol. 9, 1076-1079, 2010.
9. Ojaroudi, M. and Y. Ojaroudi, "Band-notched low profile monopole antenna with enhanced bandwidth by using an inverted T-shaped parasitic structure and a pair of G-shaped slots," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 54, No. 5, 1123-1127, 2012.
10. Ojaroudi, N. and M. Ojaroudi, "G-shaped monopole antenna with dual band-stop function for UWB communications," 2012 Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 55, No. 11, 2686-2689, 2013.
11. Xu, P., Z.-H. Yan, and C. Wang, "Multi-band modified fork-shaped monopole antenna with dual L-shaped parasitic plane," Electronic Letter, Vol. 47, No. 6, 364-365, 2011.
12. Mishra, S. K., R. Kumar Gupta, A. Vaidya, and J. Mukherjee, "A compact dual-band fork-shaped monopole antenna for bluetooth and UWB applications," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propagation Letter, Vol. 10, 627-630, 2011.
13. Zhang, S., B. K. Lau, Y. Tan, Z. Ying, and S. He, "Mutual coupling reduction of two PIFAs with a T-shape slot impedance transformer for MIMO mobile terminals," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 60, No. 3, 1521-1531, 2012.
14. Barbarino, S. and F. Consoli, "UWB circular slot antenna provided with an inverted-l notch filter for the 5GHz WLAN band," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 104, 1-13, 2010.
15. Naser-Moghadasi, M., R. A. Sadeghzadeh-Sheikhan, T. Sedghi, T. Aribi, and B. S. Virdee, "UWB CPW-fed fractal patch antenna with band-notched function employing folded T-shaped element," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propagation Letter, Vol. 12, 504-507, 2013.
16. Khaleel, H. R., H. M. Al-Rizzo, and D. G. Rucker, "Effects of bending on the performance of split ring resonators," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 54, No. 9, 2098-2101, 2012.
17. Bilotti, F., A. Alu, and L. Vegni, "Design of miniaturized metamaterial patch antennas withnegative loading," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 56, No. 6, 1640-1647, 2008.
18. Haroon, S., K. S. Alimgeer, N. Khalid, B. T. Malik, M. F. Shafique, and S. A. Khan, "A low profile UWB antenna with triple band suppression characteristics," Wireless Personal Communications, Vol. 82, No. 1, 495-507, 2015.
19. Kim, C., X. Cheng, D. E. Senior, and Y.-K. Yoon, "Compact frequency and bandwidth tunable stopband filters using split ring resonators and varactors coupled transmission line," AEUInternational Journal of Electronics and Communications, Vol. 66, No. 11, 865-870, 2012.
20. Naqui, J., M. Duran-Sindreu, and F. Martin, "Differential and single-ended microstrip lines loaded with sloted mgnetic and electric-LC resonators," International Journal of Antennas and Propagation, 1-8, 2013.
21. Li, K., C. Zhu, L. Li, Y.-M. Cai, and C.-H. Liang, "Design of electrically small metamaterial antenna with ELC and EBG loading," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 12, 678-681, 2013.
22. Zarrabi, F. B., M. Rahimi, Z. Mansouri, and I. A. Lafmajani, "Miniaturization of microstrip antenna by CRLH-TL technique," Wireless Personal Communications, Vol. 81, No. 3, 1091-1100, 2015.
23. Ha, J., K. Kwon, Y. Lee, and J. Choi, "Hybrid mode wideband patch antenna loaded with a planar metamaterial unit cell," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 60, No. 2, 1143-1147, 2012.
24. Park, J.-H., Y.-H. Ryu, J.-G. Lee, and J.-H. Lee, "Epsilon negative zeroth-order resonator antenna," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 55, No. 12, 3710-3712, 2007.
25. Fashi, A. A., M. Kamyab, and M. Barati, "A microstrip small-sized array antenna based on the meta-material zeroth-order resonator," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 14, 89-101, 2010.