Transmission zero behavior of two coupled sections - interdigital and combline - is investigated. It is shown that the shifting of transmission zero of any coupled-section of a particular length depends on the width of various parts and the orientation of coupled-section. Mathematical formulation has been performed to show the effect of stepped discontinuity on the transmission zero. Further, this transmission zero allocation property is used in suppression of harmonics. The idea is implemented in two types of resonators - first in parallel-coupled resonators and second in open-loop resonators. Two parallel coupled resonator based bandpass filters (BPFs) with second harmonic suppression - one of second-order and the other of fourth-order - using different coupled-sections have been fabricated, and suppression up to -30 dB and -54 dB respectively has been achieved. A fourth-order open-loop resonators based BPF with suppression of undesired passbands up to 6.3fo has been fabricated. Further, the above property is also used to design a dual-band BPF with wide stopband without increasing the size of the filter.
2. Hong, J.-S. and M. J. Lancaster, "Coupling of microstrip square open-loop resonators for crosscoupled planar microwave filters," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 44, 2099-2109, Dec. 1996.
3. Tu, W.-H. and K. Chang, "Compact microstrip bandstop filter using open stub and spurline," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 15, 268-270, Apr. 2005.
4. Lopetegi, T., M. A. G. Laso, J. Hernandez, M. Bacaicoa, D. Benito, M. J. Garde, M. Sorolla, and M. Guglielmi, "New microstrip wiggly-line filters with spurious passband suppression," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 49, 1593-1598, Sep. 2001.
5. Kim, B. S., J. W. Lee, and M. S. Song, "An implementation of harmonic-suppression microstrip filters with periodic grooves," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 14, 413-415, Sep. 2004.
6. Kim, J. K., N. Kingsley, M. Morton, R. Bairavasubramanian, J. Papapolymerou, M. M. Tentzeris, and J. G. Yook, "Fractal-shaped microstrip coupled-line bandpass filters for suppression of second harmonic," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 53, 2943-2948, Sep. 2005.
7. Hua, W. and K. Chang, "Compact second harmonic-suppressed bandstop and bandpass filters using open stubs resonators," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 54, 2497-2502, Jun. 2006.
8. Sanchez-Soriano, M., G. Torregrosa-Penalva, and E. Bronchalo, "Multispurious suppression in parallel-coupled line filters by means of coupling control," IET Microwaves, Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 6, No. 11, 1269-1276, 2012.
9. Kumar, N. and Y. K. Singh, "Compact stub-loaded open-loop bpf with enhanced stopband by introducing extra transmission zeros," Electronics Letters, Vol. 51, No. 2, 164-166, 2015.
10. Dai, G. L., X. Y. Zhang, C. H. Chan, Q. Xue, and M. Y. Xia, "An investigation of open- and short-ended resonators and their applications to bandpass filters," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 57, 2203-2210, Sep. 2009.
11. Chen, C.-F., T.-Y. Huang, and R.-B. Wu, "Design of microstrip bandpass filters with multiorder spurious-mode suppression," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 53, No. 12, 3788-3793, 2005.
12. Kim, C. H. and K. Chang, "Wide-stopband bandpass filters using asymmetric stepped-impedance resonators," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 23, No. 2, 69-71, 2013.
13. Kuo, J.-T., S.-P. Chen, and M. Jiang, "Parallel-coupled microstrip filters with over-coupled end stages for suppression of spurious responses," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 13, No. 10, 440-442, 2003.
14. Pozar, D. M., Microwave Engineering, 2 Ed., Wiley, New York, 1998.
15. Hong, J.-S., Microstrip Filters for RF/Microwave Applications, 2 Ed., Wiley, New York, 2011.
16., , Wolfram Research, Mathematica, Version 7.0, Champaign, IL.
17. Makimoto, M. and S. Yamashita, Microwave Resonators and Filters for Wireless Communication: Theory, Design and Application, Vol. 4, Springer Science & Business Media, 2013.
18., , Ansoft Corporation, High Frequency Structure Simulator (HFSS), Version 13.0.
19. Tsai, C.-M., S.-Y. Lee, and C.-C. Tsai, "Performance of a planar filter using a 0◦ feed structure," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 50, 2362-2367, Oct. 2002.
20. Torabi, A. and K. Forooraghi, "Miniature harmonic-suppressed microstrip bandpass filter using a triple-mode stub-loaded resonator and spur lines," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 21, No. 5, 255-257, 2011.
21. Lin, H.-N., W.-L. Huang, and J.-L. Chen, "Miniaturization of harmonics-suppressed filter with folded loop structure," PIERS Online, Vol. 4, No. 2, 238-244, 2008.