This paper presents the design flow of a compact GaAs MMIC for Extremely High Frequency (EHF) satellite communications. The proposed circuit enables sub-harmonic mixing capability and integrates a LO buffering section, thus allowing for low frequency and low power reference signal interface. Circuit design is described in detail providing a comprehensive view of the followed theoretical approach, starting from mixer core definition until the complete synthesis of LO/RF/IF interfaces. In particular, the design flow of an innovative three-conductor Marchand balun is deeply analysed. Fabricated MMIC operates in the 43.5-50 GHz band and results in a compact layout (2.4x2.4 mm2) featuring a port-to-port isolation better than 25 dB with a typical conversion loss of 12 dB.
2. Farserotu, J. and R. Prasad, "A survey of future broadband multimedia satellite systems, issues and trends," IEEE Communications Magazine, Vol. 38, No. 6, 128-133, 2000.
3. Cianca, E., T. Rossi, A. Yahalom, Y. Pinhasi, J. Farserotu, and C. Sacchi, "EHF for satellite communications: The new broadband frontier," Proceedings of the IEEE, Vol. 99, No. 11, 1858-1881, 2011.
4. Pinhasi, Y., A. Yahalom, O. Harpaz, and G. Vilner, "Study of ultrawide-band transmission in the extremely high frequency (EHF) band," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 52, No. 11, 2833-2842, 2004.
5. Bentini, A., W. Ciccognani, M. Palomba, D. Palombini, and E. Limiti, "High-density mixed signal RF front-end electronics for T-R modules," IEEE First AESS European Conference on Satellite Telecommunications, 1-6, 2012.
6. Ciccognani, W., M. Ferrari, G. Ghione, E. Limiti, P. E. Longhi, M. Pirola, and R. Quaglia, "A compact high performance X-band core-chip with on board serial-to-parallel conversion," 40th European Microwave Conference, 902-905, 2010.
7. Dainelli, V., E. Limiti, and M. Ruggieri, "Innovative technologies for the developments of W-band radars and communication payloads," IEEE Aerospace Conference, Big Sky (MT), 1-7, 2006.
8. Lucente, M., A. Salome, E. Limiti, M. Ferri, L. Fiorani, W. R. Saleh, C. Stallo, M. Ruggieri, and G. Codispoti, "PLATON: Satellite remote sensing and telecommunication by using millimetre waves," IEEE First AESS European Conference on Satellite Telecommunications, 1-6, 2012.
9. Ciccognani, W., S. Colangeli, E. Limiti, and L. Scucchia, "Millimeter wave low noise amplifier for satellite and radio-astronomy applications," IEEE First AESS European Conference on Satellite Telecommunications, 1-4, 2012.
10. Ciccognani, W., F. Di Paolo, M. Ferrari, F. Giannini, and E. Limiti, "A reflection-type biphase modulator with balanced loads," European Microwave Integrated Circuit Conference, 334-337, 2008.
11. Johansen, T. K., J. Vidkjaer, V. Krozer, A. Konczykowska, M. Riet, F. Jorge, and T. Djurhuus, "A high conversion-gain Q-band InP DHBT subharmonic mixer using LO frequency doubler," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 56, No. 3, 613-619, 2008.
12. Hung, S. H., K. W. Cheng, and Y. H. Wang, "An ultra-broadband subharmonic mixer with distributed amplifier using 90-nm CMOS technology," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 61, No. 10, 3650-3657, 2013.
13. Apollonio, D., S. Arena, A. Biondi, T. Cavanna, W. Ciccognani, E. Limiti, P. Ranieri, F. Scappaviva, A. Suriani, and F. Vitulli, "QV Band Receiver Converter for Satellite Communications," 44th European Microwave Conference, 1663-1666, 2014.
14. Limiti, E., S. Arena, T. Cavanna, and F. Testa, "High data-rate millimetre-wave modulator modelling and designs," International Workshop on Integrated Nonlinear Microwave and Millimetre-wave Circuits, 156-159, 2010.
15. Hung, S. H., K. W. Cheng, and Y. H. Wang, "Broadband sub-harmonic mixer with a compact band pass filter," Proceedings of Asia-Pacific Microwave Conference (APMC), 208-210, 2012.
16. Hung, S. H., Y. C. Lee, C. C. Su, and Y. H. Wang, "High-isolation millimeter-wave subharmonic monolithic mixer with modified quasi-circulator," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 61, No. 3, 1140-1149, 2013.
17. Gawande, R., R. Reeves, L. Samoskay, K. Cleary, A. C. Readhead, T. Gaiery, P. Kangaslahtiy, M. Varoneny, S. Churchz, K. Devarajz, M. Siethz, and M. Morganx, "W-band IQ sub-harmonic mixers with low LO power for cryogenic operation in large arrays," 44th European Microwave Conference, 301-304, 2014.
18. Bhavsar, M. L., A. N. Bhattacharya, and R. Arora, "Design and comparison of MHEMT and Diode based K-band Subharmonically pumped Mixer MMICs," IEEE International Microwave and RF Conference (IMaRC), 266-269, 2014.
19. Jankowski, M., E. Limiti, and D. Palombini, "Q-band down-converting module for multi pixel camera receivers," International Workshop on Integrated Nonlinear Microwave and Millimetrewave Circuits, 1-4, 2011.
20. Jankowski, M., E. Limiti, and D. Palombini, "Miniature Q-band down-converting module embedding local oscillator frequency multiplier," International Journal of Microwave and Optical Technology, 326-329, 2012.
21. Palombini, D., M. Jankowski, and E. Limiti, "Downconverting module architectures for high performance multipixel cameras," International Journal of Microwave Science and Technology, Vol. 2013, 1-8, 2013.
22. Maas, S. A., Nonlinear Microwave and RF Circuits, Artech House, Norwood, 2003.
23. Fano, R. M., "Theoretical limitations on the broadband matching of arbitrary impedances," J. Franklin Inst., Vol. 249, 57-83, 139–154, 1950.
24. Ang, K. S. and I. D. Robertson, "Analysis and design of impedance-transforming planar marchand baluns," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 49, No. 2, 402-406, 2001.
25. Su, C. C., C. H. Liu, C. M. Lin, Y. L. Tsai, and Y. H.Wang, "A 24–44 GHz broadband subharmonic mixer with novel isolation-enhanced circuit," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 25, No. 2, 124-126, 2015.
26. Su, C. C., C. M. Lin, S. H. Hung, C. C. Huang, and Y. H. Wang, "Analysis of threeconductor coupled-line 180 hybrid for single-balanced subharmonic mixer design in 0.15-μm pHEMT technology," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 62, No. 10, 2405-2414, 2014.
27. Bhavsar, M. L., R. Sharma, and A. Bhattacharya, "Monolithic Ka to Ku-band all balanced sub-harmonic resistive MHEMT mixer for satellite transponder," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 25, No. 5, 316-318, 2015.
28. Lin, C. S., P. S. Wu, M. C. Yeh, J. S. Fu, H. Y. Chang, K. Y. Lin, and H. Wang, "Analysis of multiconductor coupled-line marchand baluns for miniature MMIC design," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 55, No. 6, 1190-1199, 2007.
29. Mongia, R., I. Bahl, and P. Bhartia, RF and Microwave Coupled-Line Circuits, Artech House, Norwood, 1999.
30. Palombini, D., T. Cavanna, S. Arena, and E. Limiti, "Compact Q-band three-conductors balun," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 58, No. 5, 1022-1025, 2016.