A conformal patch array antenna with omnidirectional pattern in the azimuth plane at S-band is presented. A theoretical study of the generated ripple in the omnidirectional radiation pattern according to the number of faces that conform the array has been computed. A six-faced regular prism 3D structure has been chosen following a maximum 3 dB ripple criteria in the omnidirectional radiation pattern. A rectangular microstrip patch fed by a microstrip line has been designed as single radiating element. An equal power divider has been designed as feeding network in microstrip technology to feed each radiating element. Several prototypes have been manufactured and measured to validate the theoretical and simulated results. The entire conformal array has been assembled on a hexagonal regular prism manufactured in PolyLactic Acid (PLA) material using a 3D printer. In spite of the complexity of the proposed antenna structure, the used manufacturing processes, such as microstrip and 3D printing, allows to perform a low cost, low weight and compact final antenna. A higher radiated field ripple than the expected one is generated due to small deviations between experimental and theoretical critical parameters such as the feeding network performance or the 3 dB beam-width of the single element radiation pattern. A maximum ripple value of 4 dB has been experimentally obtained in the omnidirectional radiating pattern.
2. Steyskal, H., "Pattern synthesis for a conformal wing array," IEEE Aerospace Conference Proceedings, Vol. 2, 2-819-2-824, 2002.
3. Yang, P., F. Yang, Z.-P. Nie, B. Li, and X. Tang, "Robust adaptive beamformer using interpolation technique for conformal antenna array," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 23, 215-228, 2010.
4. Athanasopoulos, N. C., N. K. Uzunoglu, and J. D. Kanellopoulos, "Development of a 10GHz phased array cylindrical antenna system in corporating IF phase processing," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 59, 17-38, 2006.
5. Sahnoun, N., I. Messaoudene, T. A. Denidni, and A. Benghalia, "Integrated flexible UWB/Nb antenna conformed on a cylindrical surface," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 55, 121-128, 2015.
6. Wang, Q. and Q.-Q. He, "An arbitrary conformal array pattern synthesis method that include mutual coupling and platform effects," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 110, 297-311, 2010.
7. Mandric, V., S. Rupcic, and D. Pilski, "Experimental results of spherical arrays of circular waveguide and microstrip antennas," ELMAR, 2011 Proceedings, 345-351, Zadar, 2011.
8. Shama, A. and S. Dev Gupta, "Design and analysis of rectangular microstrip patch antenna conformal on spherical surface," 2015 International Conference on Signal Processing and Communication (ICSC), 366-369, 2015.
9. Bhowmik, L. M., C. Armiento, A. Akyurtlu, W. Miniscalco, J. Chirravuri, and C. McCarroll, "Design and analysis of conformal ku-band microstrip patch antenna arrays," 2013 IEEE International Symposium on Phased Array Systems & Technology, 815-820, 2013.
10. Huang, M. D. and S. Y. Tan, "An improved spherical antenna array for wideband phase mode processing," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 66, 27-40, 2006.
11. Wang, P., G. Wen, H. Zhang, and Y. Sun, "A wideband conformal end-fire antenna array mounted on a large conducting cylinder," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 61, No. 9, 4857-4861, Sept. 2013.
12. Masa, J. L., J. M. Serna, and M. Sierra, "Circularly polarized omnidirectional parch array for millimetre application," XIX URSI/COST, 284, Sept. 2004.
13. Zhang, Z., X. Gao, W. Chen, Z. Feng, and M. F. Iskander, "Study of conformal switchable antenna system on cylindrical surface for isotropic coverage," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 59, No. 3, 776-783, Mar. 2011.
14. IEEE 802.16 Working Group, "IEEE Standard for Local and Metropolitan Area Networks," IEEE, New York, USA, Dec. 2005.
15. Balanis, C. A., Antenna Theory: Analysis and Design, John Wiley & Sons Inc., 1997.