This paper investigates the performance of a Windowing Based Crest Factor Reduction (CFRWB) technique, to enhance the power efficiency of Radio Frequency (RF) power amplifiers. In particular, CFRWB is implemented on a Doherty Power Amplifier (DPA) in conjunction with Generalized Memory Polynomial (GMPDPD), and Volterra series based Digital Predistortion (VDPD) techniques. Key features like spectral regrowth, Peak to Average Power Ratio (PAPR) reduction, efficiency improvement and Error Vector Magnitude (EVM) have been used to measure the efficacy of the proposed method. Both simulation and experimental results show that the proposed combination of CFRWB technique with GMPDPD and VDPD is able to reduce the PAPR of the complex input signals by nearly 60%, with minimal degrading of the EVM and spectral regrowth. Moreover, such signal with reduced PAPR can be used to overdrive the DPA, allowing for a relevant average efficiency enhancement (i.e., up to 25%), while fulfilling the requirements of modern communication standards such as Wideband Code Division Multiple Access (WCDMA) and long-term evolution (LTE).
2. Paterson, K. G. and V. Tarokh, "On the existence and construction of good codes with low peak- to-average-power ratios," IEEE Trans. In-form. Theory, Vol. 46, No. 6, 1974-1987, Sep. 2000.
3. Breiling, H., S. H. Muller-Weinfurtner, and J. B. Huber, "SLM peak-power reduction without explicit side information," IEEE Communication Letter, Vol. 5, No. 6, 239-241, Jun. 2001.
4. Armstrong, J., "Peak-to-average power reduction for OFDM by repeated clipping and frequency domain ltering," Electron. Letter, Vol. 38, No. 5, 246-247, Feb. 2002.
5. Vaananen, O., J. Vankka, and K. Halonen, "Effect of clipping in wideband CDMA system and simple algorithm for peak windowing," Proc. World Wireless Congress, 614-619, San Francisco, CA, May 2002.
6. Sperlich, R., Y. Park, G. Copeland, and J. S. Kenney, "Power amplier linearization with digital pre-distortion and crest factor reduction," IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Symposium Digest, Vol. 2, 669-672, Jun. 2004.
7. Giofre, R., L. Piazzon, P. Colantonio, F. Giannini, V. Camarchia, I. Mustazar, M. Pirola, R. Quaglia, and C. Ramella, "GaN MMICs for microwave backhaul: Doherty vs. combined class- AB power amplier," 10th European Microwave Integrated Circuits Conference (EuMIC), 33-36, 7-8 Sept. 2015.
8. Lashkarian, N., H. Tarn, and C. Dick, "Crest factor reduction in multi-carrier WCDMA transmitters," IEEE 16th International Symposium on Personal, Indoor and Mobile Radio Communications, 321-325, 2005.
9. Deepak Nair, M. V., R. Giofre, P. Colantonio, and F. Giannini, "Sequential asymmetric superposition windowing for crest factor reduction and its effects on Doherty power amplier," Integrated Nonlinear Microwave and Millimetre-wave Circuits (INMMiC), Oct. 2015.
10. Deepak Nair, M. V., R. Giofre, L. Piazzon, P. Colantonio, and F. M. Ghannouchi, "Effects of windowing based crest factor reduction technique on digitally predistorted PAs for multicarrier WCDMA," Wireless Symposium (IWS), Mar. 2015.
11. Jiang, W., B. Xing, J. Wang, Y. Ni, C. Peng, X. Zhu, and W. Hong, "Performance improvement of power ampliers with digital linearization technology," Proceedings of Asia-Pacic Microwave Conference, 1-4, Dec. 2007.
12. Zeng, Z., D. Xie, and Y. Huang, "A crest factor reduction method in digital predistortion for improvement of power efficiency," International Conference on Computer Science and Electronics Engineering, 636-639, Mar. 2012.
13. Mbaye, A., G. Baudoin, A. Gouba, Y. Louet, and M. Villegas, "Combining crest factor reduction and digital predistortion with automatic determination of the necessary crest factor reduction gain," European Microwave Conference (EuMC), 837-840, Oct. 2014.
14. Amiri, M. V., M. Helaoui, N. Boulejfen, and F. M. Ghannouchi, "Optimized spectrum constrained crest factor reduction technique using polynomials," IEEE Transactions on Communications, Vol. 63, No. 7, 2555-2564, Jul. 2015.
15. Amiri, M. V., S. A. Bassam, M. Helaoui, and F. M. Ghannouchi, "Partitioned distortion mitigation in LTE radio uplink to enhance transmitter efficiency," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 63, No. 8, 2661-2671, Aug. 2015.
16. Helaoui, M., S. Boumaiza, A. Ghazel, and F. M. Ghannouchi, "Power and efficiency enhancement of 3G multicarrier ampliers using digital signal processing with experimental validation," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 54, No. 4, 1396-1404, Jun. 2006.
17. Farabegoli, A., B. Sogl, J. E. Mueller, and R. Weigel, "Advanced transmitters with combined crest factor reduction and digital predistortion techniques," IEEE Radio and Wireless Symposium, 133-135, Jan. 2014.
18. Chen, G., R. Ansari, and Y. Yao, "Improved peak windowing for PAPR reduction in OFDM," IEEE 69th Vehicular Technology Conference, 2009, 1-5, Apr. 2009.
19. Nader, C., P. N. Landin, W. V. Moer, and N. Bjorsell, "Peak-power controlling technique for enhancing digital pre-distortion of RF power ampliers," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 60, 3571-3581, Sep. 2012.
20. Roy, T. K. and M. Morshed, "Performance analysis of low pass FIR lters design using Kaiser, Gaussian and Tukey window function methods," International Conference on Advances in Electrical Engineering, 1-6, Dec. 2013.
21. Younes, M. and F. M. Ghannouchi, "Behavioral modeling of concurrent dual-band transmitters based on radially-pruned Volterra model," IEEE Communications Letters, Vol. 19, No. 5, 751-754, May 2015.
22. Morgan, D. R., M. Zhengxiang, K. Jaehyeong, and M. G. Zierdt, "A generalized memory polynomial model for digital predistortion of RF power ampliers," IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, 3852-3860, Oct. 2006.
23. Tehrani, A. S., C. Haiying, S. Afsardoost, T. Eriksson, M. Isaksson, and C. Fager, "A comparative analysis of the complexity/accuracy tradeoff in power amplier behavioral models," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 58, No. 6, 1510-1520, May 2010.
24. Giofre, R., L. Piazzon, P. Colantonio, and F. Giannini, "A closed-form design technique for ultra- wideband Doherty power ampliers," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 62, No. 12, 3414-3424, Dec. 2014.
25. 3GPP, "Base Station (BS) radio transmission and reception (FDD)," TS 25.104, V. 9.1.0, (Release 9), 2009.