This paper presents a new implementation of a millimeter wave heterodyne receiver based on six-port technology. The six-port circuit is designed using three hybrid couplers H-90º and a new ring power divider. For the characterization of the circuit, several six-port two-port measurement configurations were designed and fabricated on the same wafer along with calibration standards. The new six-port architecture evaluation based on qi points location demonstrates wideband performances and high coupled-port phase and amplitude balance in the 57-65 GHz frequency band. The six-port model based on S-parameter measurements is then implemented in ADS software, for realistic advanced simulation systems of a short-range 60 GHz wireless link. The millimeter wave frequency conversion is performed using a six-port down-converter. The second frequency conversion uses conventional means due to the low IF frequency value. The demodulation results of a V-band QPSK signal for high data rate from 100 to 1000 MBits/s are presented and discussed. The results of the Bit Error Rate (BER) analysis demonstrate that the proposed architecture can be successfully used for high speed wireless link transmission at 60 GHz.
2. Smulders, P., "Exploiting the 60GHz band for local wireless multimedia access: Prospects and future directions," IEEE Communications Magazine, No. 1, 140-147, Jan. 2002.
3. Anang, K. A., P. B. Rapajic, L. Bello, and R. Wu, "Sensitivity of cellular wireless network performance to system & propagation parameters at carrier frequencies greater than 2GHz," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 40, 31-54, 2012.
4. Rappaport, B. T. S., J. N. Murdock, and F. Gutierrez, "State of the art in 60-GHz integrated circuits and systems for wireless communications," Proceedings of the IEEE, Vol. 99, No. 8, 1390-1436, 2011.
5. Cohn, S. B. and N. P. Weinhouse, "An automatic microwave phase measurement system," Microwave Journal, Vol. 7, No. 2, 49-56, 1964.
6. Engen, G. F. and C. A. Hoer, "Application of an arbitrary 6-port junction to power-measurement problems," IEEE Transactions on Instrumentation and Measurement, 470-474, 1972.
7. Engen, G. F., "An improved circuit for implementing the six-port technique of microwave measurements," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 25, No. 12, 1080-1083, 1977.
8. Hoer, C. A., "The six-port coupler: A new approach to measuring voltage, current, power, impedance, and phase," IEEE Transactions on Instrumentation and Measurement, Vol. 21, No. 4, 466-470, 1972.
9. Engen, G. F., "The six-port reflectometer an alternative network analyzer," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory Techniques, Vol. 25, 1075-1077, 1977.
10. Li, J., K. Wu, and R. G. Bosisio, "A Collision avoidance radar using six-port phase/frequency discriminator (SPFD)," Proceedings of IEEE Microwave Theory and Techniques Symposium, 1553-1556, 1994.
11. Li, J., R. G. Bosisio, and K. Wu, "“Computer and measurement simulation of a new digital receiver operating directly at millimeter-wave frequencies," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 43, No. 12, 2766-2772, Dec. 1995.
12. Li, J., R. G. Bosisio, and K. Wu, "Dual-ton calibration of six-port junction and its application to the six-port direct digital millimetric receiver," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 44, No. 1, 93-99, 1996.
13. Tatu, S. O., E. Moldovan, K. Wu, and R. G. Bosisio, "A new direct millimeter-wave six-port receiver," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 49, No. 12, 2517-2522, Dec. 2001.
14. Tatu, S. O., E. Moldovan, G. Brehm, K. Wu, and R. G. Bosisio, "ka band direct digital receiver," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 50, No. 11, 2436-2442, Nov. 2002.
15. De la Morena-Alvarez-Palencia, C., M. Burgos-Garcia, and J. Gismero-Menoyo, "Four-octave sixport receiver and its calibration for broadband communications and software defined radios," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 116, 1-21, 2011.
16. De la Morena-Alvarez-Palencia, C. and M. Burgos-Garcia, "Experimental performance comparison of six-port and conventional zero-IF/low-IF receivers for software defined radio," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 42, 311-333, 2012.
17. Tatu, S. O., E. Moldovan, K. Wu, R. G. Bosisio, and T. Denidni, "Ka-band analog front-end for software defined direct conversion receiver," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 53, No. 9, 2768-2776, Sept. 2005.
18. Sarrazin, T., H. Vettikalladi, O. Lafond, M. Himdi, and N. Rolland, "Low cost 60 GHz new thin Pyralux membrane antennas fed by substrate integrated waveguide," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 42, 207-224, 2012.
19. Huang, T. Y. and T. J. Yen, "A high-ratio bandwidth square-wave-like bandpass filter by two-handed metamaterials and its application in 60GHz wireless communication," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 21, 19-29, 2011.
20. Hannachi, C., D. Hammou, T. Djerafi, Z. Ouardirhi, and S. O. Tatu, "Complete characterization of novel MHMICs for V-band communication systems," Journal of Electrical and Computer Engineering, 1-8, Nov. 2013.
21. Hammou, D., E. Moldovan, K. Wu, and S. O. Tatu, "60 GHz MHMIC six-port model analysis," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 52, No. 9, Sept. 2010.
22. Williams, D. F., J. M. Belquin, G. Dambrine, and R. Fenton, "On-wafer measurement at millimeter wave frequencies," IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Symposium Digest, Vol. 3, 1683-1686, San Francisco, CA, Jun. 17–21, 1996.
23. Marks, R. B., "A multiline method of network analyzer calibration," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 39, 1205-1215, 1991.
24. Antsos, D., R. Crist, and L. Sukamto, "A novel Wilkinson power divider with predictable performance at K and Ka-band," IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Symposium Digest, 907-910, Jun. 1994.
25. Peters, F. D. L., D. Hammou, S. O. Tatu, and T. A. Denidni, "Modified millimeter-wave Wilkinson power divider for antenna feeding network," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 17, 11-18, 2010.
26. Hammou, D., E. Moldovan, and S. O. Tatu, "Novel ring millimeter wave power divider/combiner," IEEE Canadian Conference on Electrical and Computer Engineering (CCECE 2011), Conference Proceedings, 280-283, Niagara Falls, Ontario, May 8–11, 2011.
27. Hammou, D., T. Djerafi, M. Nedil, and S. O. Tatu, "Considerations for on-Wafer millimeter wave measurements on thin ceramic substrate," IEEE Transactions on Instrumentation and Measurement, Vol. 65, No. 2, 441-447, Nov. 2015.
28. Xu, Y. and R. G. Bosisio, "Wideband planar Goubau line (PGL) couplers and six-port circuits compatible with short range (60GHz) radio," IET Microwaves, Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 7, No. 12, 985-990, 2013.
29. Talebzadeh, A. and A. Abdipour, "Miniaturized six-port receiver for 60 GHz communication," IEEE 2014 22nd Iranian Conference on. Electrical Engineering (ICEE), 1406-1410, 2014.
30. Zhang, J. and V. Fusco, "SiGe V-band 6-port receiver," IET Seminar Millimeter Wave Technologies for Gigabit per Second Wireless Communications, 51-60, Belfast, Sept. 2012.
31. Boukari, B., E. Moldovan, S. Affes, K. Wu, R. G. Bosisio, and S. O. Tatu, "A heterodyne sixport FMCW radar sensor architecture based on beat signal phase slope techniques," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 93, 307-322, 2009.
32. Tatu, S. O. and E. Moldovan, "V-band multiport heterodyne receiver for high-speed communication systems," EURASIP Journal on Wireless Communications and Networking, Vol. 2007, No. 1, 45, 2007.
33. Hammou, D., N. Khaddaj Mallat, E. Moldovan, S. Affes, K. Wu, and S. O. Tatu, "V-band sixport down-conversion techniques," International Symposium on Signals, Systems, and Electronics (ISSSE), conference CD, IEEE catalog Number 07EX1869C, 379-382, Montreal, Canada, 2007.
34. Texas Instruments, Inc., "THS4304-SP wideband operational amplifier (Rev. A)," Data Sheet, Jul. 2004.
35. Pozar, D. M., Microwave and RF Design of Wireless Systems, John Wiley and Sons, New York, 2001.
36. McKinley, M. D., K. A. Remley, M. Myslinski, J. S. Kenney, D. Schreurs, and B. Nauwelaers, "EVM calculation for broadband modulate signals," NIST PML, Tech. Rep., Gaithersburg, MD, 2005.