The resonant characteristics of superconducting rectangular microstrip patch antenna with a superstrate layer are investigated using a full-wave spectral analysis in conjunction with the complex resistive boundary condition. The complex surface impedance of superconducting patch is determined using London's equation and the two-fluid model of Gorter and Casimir. Numerical results using the full-wave analysis presented here are in excellent agreement with theoretical and experimental results available in the open literature. Numerical results show that the effect of the superstrate layer on the resonant frequency and half-power bandwidth of the superconducting rectangular patch is stronger than that of the structure without superstrate layer as both the thickness and permittivity of the superstrate increase. Finally, numerical results concerning the effects of the parameters of superstrate-substrate and superconducting patch on the antenna performance are also presented and discussed.
2. Singh, A., R. K. Gangwar, and B. K. Kanaujia, "Cavity backed annular ring microstrip antenna loaded with concentric circular patch," 8th European Conference onAntennas and Propagation (EuCAP), 2014, 2155-2158, 2014.
3. Khanna, A., D. K. Srivastava, and J. P. Saini, "Bandwidth enhancement of modified square fractal microstrip patch antenna using gap-coupling," Engineering Science and Technology, Vol. 18, 286-293, 2015.
4. Raval, F., Y. Kosta, and H. Joshi, "Reduced size patch antenna using complementary split ring resonator as defected ground plane," AEU-International Journal of Electronics and Communications, Vol. 69, 1126-1133, 2015.
5. Khan, Q. U. and M. B. Ihsan, "Higher order mode excitation for high gain microstrip patch antenna," AEU-International Journal of Electronics and Communications, Vol. 68, 1073-1077, 2014.
6. Lamine Tounsi, M. and M. C. Yagoub, "Efficient characterization of EMC shielding in anisotropic high-Tc superconducting devices for industrial applications," International Journal of RF and Microwave Computer-Aided Engineering, Vol. 22, 116-123, 2012.
7. Benkouda, S., M. Amir, T. Fortaki, and A. Benghalia, "Dual-frequency behavior of stacked high Tc superconducting microstrip patches," Journal of Infrared, Millimeter, and Terahertz Waves, Vol. 32, 1350-1366, 2011.
8. Fortaki, T., A. Mounir, S. Benkouda, and A. Benghalia, "Study of high Tc superconducting microstrip antenna," PIERS Online, Vol. 5, No. 4, 346-349, 2009.
9. El-Ghazaly, S. M., R. B. Hammond, and T. Itoh, "Analysis of superconducting microwave structures: Application to microstrip lines," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 40, 499-508, 1992.
10. Benmeddour, F., C. Dumond, F. Benabdelaziz, and F. Bouttout, "Improving the performances of a high Tc superconducting circuslar microstrip antenna with multilayered configuration and anisotropic dielectrics," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 18, 169-183, 2011.
11. Chebbara, F., S. Benkouda, and T. Fortaki, "Fourier transform domain analysis of high Tc superconducting rectangular microstrip patch over ground plane with rectangular aperture," Journal of Infrared, Millimeter, and Terahertz Waves, Vol. 31, 821-832, 2010.
12. Bedra, S., T. Fortaki, A. Messai, and R. Bedra, "Spectral domain analysis of resonant characteristics of high Tc superconducting rectangular microstrip patch printed on isotropic or uniaxial anisotropic substrates," Wireless Personal Communications, Vol. 86, 495-511, 2016.
13. Fortaki, T., L. Djouane, F. Chebara, and A. Benghalia, "Radiation of a rectangular microstrip patch antenna covered with a dielectric layer," International Journal of Electronics, Vol. 95, 989-998, 2008.
14. Zebiri, C., M. Lashab, and F. Benabdelaziz, "Asymmetrical effects of bi-anisotropic substrate-superstrate sandwich structure on patch resonator," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 49, 319-337, 2013.
15. Biswas, M. and A. Mandal, "Experimental and theoretical investigation of resonance and radiation characteristics of superstrate loaded rectangular patch antenna," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 57, 791-799, 2015.
16. Barkat, O. and A. Benghalia, "Radiation and resonant frequency of superconducting annular ring microstrip antenna on uniaxial anisotropic media," Journal of Infrared, Millimeter, and Terahertz Waves, Vol. 30, 1053-1066, 2009.
17. Bedra, S. and T. Fortaki, "Hankel transform domain analysis of covered circular microstrip patch printed on an anisotropic dielectric layer," Journal of Computational Electronics, Vol. 14, 747-753, 2015.
18. Benkouda, S., A. Messai, M. Amir, S. Bedra, and T. Fortaki, "Characteristics of a high Tc superconducting rectangular microstrip patch on uniaxially anisotropic substrate," Physica C: Superconductivity, Vol. 502, 70-75, 2014.
19. Da Silva, S., A. d'Assuncao, and J. Oliveira, "Analysis of high Tc superconducting microstrip antennas and arrays," International Conference in Microwave and Optoelectronics 1999, SBMO/IEEE MTT-S, APS and LEOS-IMOC'99, 243-246, 1999.
20. Bahl, I. J., P. Bhartia, and S. S. Stuchly, "Design of microstrip antennas covered with a dielectric layer," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 30, 314-318, 1982.
21. Richard, M. A., K. B. Bhasin, and P. C. Claspy, "Superconducting microstrip antennas: An experimental comparison of two feeding methods," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 41, 967-974, 1993.
22. Bouttout, F., F. Benabdelaziz, T. Fortaki, and D. Khedrouche, "Resonant frequency and bandwidth of a superstrate-loaded rectangular patch on a uniaxial anisotropic substrate," Communications in Numerical Methods in Engineering, Vol. 16, 459-473, 2000.