A wide bandwidth folded V-shaped patch antenna with high gain and low cross polarization is presented. The proposed antenna is composed of a folded V-shaped patch, an H-shaped coupling slot cut in the ground plane and a feed line with a stub printed on the bottom layer of the grounded substrate. By folding the V-shaped metallic patch, the proposed antenna can achieve a low profile structure and good performance in radiation patterns. The antenna element and the antenna array operating at 2 GHz were fabricated and tested. The prototypes with the single element can achieve a -10 dB return loss bandwidth of 28.5% (1.65 to 2.2 GHz) and a stable gain of 8.6 dBi, while 1×2 arrays exhibit a bandwidth of 34.1% (1.58 to 2.23 GHz) and a stable gain of 11.5 dBi.
2. Montero-de-Paz, J., E. Ugarte-Muñoz, F. J. Herraiz-Martínez, V. González-Posadas, L. E. García-Muñoz, and D. Segovia-Vargas, "Multifrequency self-diplexed single patch antennas loaded with split ring resonators," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 113, 47-66, 2011.
3. Monavar, F. M. and N. Komjani, "Bandwidth enhancement of microstrip patch antenna using Jerusalem cross-shaped frequency selective surfaces by invasive weed optimization approach," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 121, 103-120, 2011.
4. Masa-Campos, J.-L. and F. Gonzálea-Fernández, "Dual linear/circular polarized plannar antenna with low profile double-layer polarizer of 45° tilted metallic strips for WiMAX applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 98, 221-231, 2009.
5. Huang, K.-C. and H.-F. Li, "A novel single-layer single-patch wide-band probe-feed crescent like-shaped microstrip antenna," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 23, No. 2-3, 279-287, 2009.
6. Liu, C., J.-L. Guo, Y.-H. Huang, and L.-Y. Zhou, "A novel dual polarized antenna with high isolation and low cross polarization for wireless communication," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 32, 129-136, 2012.
7. Xie, J.-J., Y.-Z. Yin, J. Ren, and T. Wang, "A wideband dual-polarized patch antenna with electric probe and magnetic loop feeds," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 132, 499-515, 2012.
8. Mak, C. L., H. Wong, and K. M. Luk, "High-gain and wide-band single-layer patch antenna for wireless communications," IEEE Trans. Vehucular Tech., Vol. 54, No. 1, 33-40, Jan. 2005.
9. Liu, Y.-T., "Probe-fed patch antenna with an inclined patch for on-wall WLAN access point," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 18, 85-95, 2010.
10. Weigand, S., G. H. Huff, K. H. Pan, and J. T. Bernhard, "Analysis and design of broadband single-layer rectangular U-slot microstrip patch antennas," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 51, No. 3, 457-468, Mar. 2003.
11. Khidre, A., K. F. Lee, A. Elsherbeni, and F. Yang, "Wide band dual-beam U-slot microstrip antenna," IEEE Trans. Antenna Propagat., Vol. 61, No. 3, 1415-1418, Mar. 2013.
12. Deshmukh, A. A. and G. Kumar, "Broadband compact V-slot loaded RMSAs," Electron. Lett., Vol. 42, No. 17, 951-952, 2006.
13. Lai, H. W. and K. M. Luk, "Dual polarized patch antenna fed by meandering probes," IEEE Trans. Antenna Propagat., Vol. 55, No. 9, 2625-2627, Sep. 2007.
14. Barba, M., "A high-isolation, wideband and dual-linear polarization patch antenna," IEEE Trans. Antenna Propagat., Vol. 56, No. 5, 1472-1476, May 2008.
15. Serra, A. A., P. Nepa, G. Manara, G. Tribellini, and S. Cioci, "Wide band dual-polarized stacked patch antenna," IEEE Antenna Wireless Propagat. Lett., Vol. 6, 141-143, Apr. 2007.
16. Yun, W. and Y.-J. Yoon, "A wide-band aperture coupled microstrip array antenna using inverted feeding structures," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 53, No. 2, 861-862, Feb. 2005.
17. Wang, H., X. B. Huang, and D. G. Fang, "A single layer wideband U-slot microstrip patch antenna array," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propagat. Lett., Vol. 7, 9-12, 2008.
18. Moradi, K. and S. Nikmehr, "A dual-band dual-polarized microstrip array antenna for base stations," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 123, 527-541, 2012.