Recently, the RF/microwave electronic technology evolved with the consideration of plastic and organic substrates. Such a technology offers two-folded benefits: in one side for lowering the fabrication cost and in another side for the possibility to bend electronic devices. Such a technology is particularly interesting for the implementation of antenna system. This paper is dealing with the design of flexible microstrip antenna 1:2 array. Theoretical approach on the typically symmetrical antenna 1:2 array is proposed. The design methodology of microstrip antenna combined with 1:2 T-power divider (T-PWD) is described. Based on the transmission line theory, the S-parameter model of the antenna system with non-standard reference load is established. Then, the microstrip antenna passive system is theoretical analysed in function of the physical dimensions of the designed structure. The feasibility of the flexible antenna passive system is investigated with the proof-of-concept (POC) designed on Kapton substrate. The POC prototype consisted of microstrip antenna 1:2 array is designed to operate at about 5.8 GHz. Comparisons between the full wave simulated and measured return losses were performed. Then, simulated radiation pattern highlights the efficiency of the fabricated prototype of passive antenna array.
2. Yang, L. and M. M. Tentzeris, "Design and characterization of novel paper-based inkjet-printed RFID and microwave structures for telecommunication and sensing applications," Proc. of IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Symposium (IMS’07), 1633-1636, Honolulu, HI, Jun. 3–8, 2007.
3. Monti, G., L. Corchia, and L. Tarricone, "Fabrication techniques for wearable antennas," Proc. of European Radar Conference (EuRAD) 2013, 435-438, Nuremberg, Germany, Oct. 9–11, 2013.
4. Konstas, Z., A. Rida, R. Vyas, K. Katsibas, N. Uzunoglu, and M. M. Tentzeris, "A novel “Green” inkjet-printed Z-shaped monopole antenna for RFID applications," Proc. of IEEE 3rd European Conference on Antennas and Propagation (EuCAP’09), 2340-2343, Berlin, Germany, Mar. 23–27, 2009.
5. Main, Y., Q. Chen, L.-R. Zheng, and H. Tenhunen, "Development and analysis of flexible UHF RFID antennas for “Green” electronics," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 130, 1-15, 2012.
6. Yang, L., L. Martin, D. Staiculescu, C. P. Wong, and M. M. Tentzeris, "Design and development of compact conformal RFID antennas utilizing novel flexible magnetic composite materials for wearable RF and biomedical applications," Proc. of Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium 2008, 1-4, San Diego, CA, Jul. 5–11, 2008.
7. Kim, D. O., C. Y. Kim, and D. G. Yang, "Flexible Hilbert-curve loop antenna having a tripleband and omnidirectional pattern for WLAN/WiMAX applications," Int. Journal Antenna and Propagation, Vol. 2012, 1-9, 2012.
8. Raad, H. R., A. I. Abbosh, H. M. Al-Rizzo, and D. G. Rucker, "Flexible and compact AMC based antenna for telemedicine applications," IEEE Trans. on Ant. and Propag., Vol. 61, No. 2, 524-531, Feb. 2013.
9., "COLAE (Commercializing Organic and Large Area Electronics),", http://www.colae.eu/, accessed 2014.
10. Durgun, A. C., M. S. Reese, C. A. Balanis, C. R. Birtcher, D. R. Allee, and S. Venugopal, "Design, simulation, fabrication and testing of flexible bow-tie antennas," IEEE Trans. on Ant. and Propag., Vol. 59, No. 12, 4425-4435, Dec. 2011.
11. Chien, H.-Y., C.-Y.-D. Sim, and C.-H. Lee, "Compact size dual-band antenna printed on flexible substrate for WLAN operation," Proc. of Int. Symp. on Antennas and Propagation (ISAP), 2012, 1047-1050, Nagoya, Japan, Oct. 29–Nov. 2, 2012.
12. Paul, D. L., L. Zhang, and L. Zheng, "Flexible dual-band LCP antenna for RFID applications," Proc. of URSI International Symposium on Electromagnetic Theory (EMTS) 2013, 973-976, Hiroshima, Japan, May 20–24, 2013.
13. Khaleel, H. R., H. M. Al-Rizzo, and A. I. Abbosh, "Design, fabrication, and testing of flexible antennas," Intech Open Book, Advancement in Microstrip Antennas with Recent Applications, ed. by A. Kishk, Chap. 5, 363-383, Mar. 2013.
14. Knott, E. F., J. F. Shaeffer, and M. T. Tuley, Radar Cross Section, 2 Ed., SciTech Publishing Inc., Raleigh, NC, 2004.
15. Fenn, A. J., D. H. Temme, W. P. Delaney, and W. E. Courtney, "The development of phased-array radar technology," Lincoln Laboratory Journal, Vol. 12, No. 2, 321-340, 2000.
16. Eldek, A. A., A. Z. Elsherbeni, and C. E. Smith, "Wideband 2D array of microstrip fed rectangularslot antennas for radar applications," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 46, No. 1, 36-40, Oct. 2005.
17. James, J. R., P. S. Hall, and C. Wood, Microstrip Antenna Theory and Design, 103-109, Peter Peregrinus, Ltd., New York, USA, 1981.
18. Verma, A. K. and Nasimuddin, "Analysis of circular microstrip antenna of thick susbstrate," Journal of Microwaves, Optoelectronics, and Electromagnetics Applications, Vol. 2, No. 5, 30-38, Jul. 2002.
19. Kumar, G. and K. P. Ray, Broadband Microstrip Antennas, Artech House, 2002.
20. Goswami, K., A. Dubey, G. C. Tripathi, and B. Singh, "Design and analysis of rectangular microstrip antenna with PBG structure for enhancement of bandwidth," Global Journal of Research Engineering, Vol. 11, No. 2, 22-28, Mar. 2011.
21. Ang, B.-K. and B.-K. Chung, "A wideband E-shaped microstrip patch antenna for 5–6 GHz wireless communications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 75, 397-407, 2007.
22. Kasabegoudar, V. G. and K. J. Vinoy, "A broadband suspended microstrip antenna for circuit polarization," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 90, 353-368, 2009.
23. Ojha, J. R. and M. Peters, "Patch antennas and microstrip lines," Intech Open Book, Microwave and Millimeter Wave Technologies: Modern UWB Antennas and Equipment, 50-62, Rijeka, Croatia, Mar. 2010.
24., Polyimides, UBE America Inc., http://www.ube.com/content.php?pageid=130, accessed 2015.
25. Ravelo, B., "Behavioral model of symmetrical multi-level T-tree interconnects," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 41, 23-50, 2011.
26. Hammerstad, E. and O. Jensen, "Accurate models for microstrip computer aided design," IEEE MTT-S Int. Microwave Symposium Digest, 407-409, Washington, DC, May 28–30, 1980.
27. Balanis, C. A., Antenna Theory: Analysis and Design, 2 Ed., Chap. 6, Wiley, 1997.
28., , Polyimides, UBE America Inc, http://www.ube.com/content.php?pageid=130, accessed 2015.
29., , http://www2.dupont.com/Kapton/en US/assets/downloads/pdf/HN datasheet.pdf, accessed 2014.