In this paper, an ultra compact dual-band metamaterial antenna based on a new asymmetric generalized negative refractive index transmission line is introduced. The antenna is designed to support the 900 MHz GSM and 2400 RFID/WiFi bands. Moreover, the antenna size is only (15×20 mm2) which is only less than (0.08λg× 0.1λg) at the center frequency of the first resonance and (0.22λg× 0.29λg) at the center frequency of the second resonance. The theoretical design steps of the antenna are explained. The dual-band antenna design has been validated using equivalent circuit modelling, electromagnetic full wave simulations and practical measurement. The results illustrate that the antenna has the first resonance centred at 0.9 GHz and the second at 2.4 GHz with 15 dB return loss in the two bands. Good agreements among the circuit modelling, electromagnetic full wave simulation and practical measurements have been achieved.
2. Capolino, F., Theory and Phenomena of Metamaterials, CRC Press, Oct. 5, 2009.
3. Cui, T. J., D. Smith, and R. Liu, Metamaterials Theory, Design, and Applications, Springer, 2010.
4. Eleftheriades, G. V. and K. G. Balmain, Negative Refractive Metamaterials, John Wiey & Sons, New Jersey, 2005.
5. Caloz, C. and T. Itoh, Electromagnetic Metamaterials Transmission Line Theory and Microwave Applications, John Wiley & Sons, New Jersey, 2006.
6. Caloz, T. I. and A. Rennings, "CRLH metamaterial leaky-wave and resonant antennas," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 50, No. 5, 25-39, 2008.
7. Lee, W. H., A. Gummalla, and M. Achour, "Small antennas based on crlh structures: Concept, design, and applications," IEEE Ant. and Prop. Mag., Vol. 53, No. 2, 10-25, 2011.
8. Ziolkowski, R. W., P. Jin, and C. Lin, "Metamaterial-inspired engineering of antennas," IEEE Proceedings, Vol. 99, No. 10, 1720-1731, 2011.
9. Dong, Y. and T. Itoh, "Metamaterial-based antennas," IEEE Proceedings, Vol. 100, No. 7, 2271-2285, 2012.
10. Mehdipour, A. and G. V. Eleftheriades, "Leaky-wave antennas using negative-refractive-index transmission-line metamaterial supercells," IEEE Transaction on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 62, No. 8, 3929-3942, 2014.
11. Sharma, S. K., D. Gupta, J. D.Mulchandani, and R. K. Chaudhary, "A dumbbell-shaped dual-band metamaterial antenna using FDTD technique," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 56, 25-30, 2015.
12. Bala, B. D., M. K. A. Rahim, N. A. Murad, and S. K. A. Rahim, "Dual band metamaterial antenna with loaded resonators," 2013 IEEE 2013 Asia-Pacific Microwave Conference Proceedings (APMC), 1151-1153, 2013.
13. Sharma, S. K. and R. K. Chaudhary, "Metamaterial inspired dual-band antenna with modified CSRR and EBG loading," 2015 IEEE International Symposium on Antennas and Propagation, 472-473, Canada, 2015.
14. Si, L. M., W. Zhu, and H. J. Sun, "A compact, planar, and CPW-fed metamaterial-inspired dual-band antenna," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 12, 305-308, 2013.
15. Li, L., J. Zhen, F. Huo, and W. Han, "A novel compact multiband antenna employing dual-band CRLH-TL for smart mobile phone application," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 12, 1688-1691, 2013.
16. Abdalla, M. A. and Z. Hu, "Compact and tunable metamaterial antenna for multi-band wireless communication applications," 2011 IEEE AP-S Int. Antenna and Propagation Symposium Digest, 2951-2953, USA, 2011.
17. Abdalla, M. A. and Z. Hu, "Compact dual band meta-material antenna for wireless applications," 2012 Loughborough Antennas & Propagation Conference, 1-4, UK, 2012.
18. Abdalla, M. A., U. Abdelnaby, and A. A. Mitkees, "Compact and triple band meta-material antenna for all WiMAX applications," 2012 International Symposium on Antennas and Propagation (ISAP), 1176-1179, 2012.
19. Ibrahim, W., M. Abdalla, A. Allam, A. Mohamed, and H. Elregeily, "A compact and dual band metamaterial substrate integrated waveguide antenna," 2013 IEEE AP-S International Antenna and Propagation Symposium Digest, 966-967, USA, 2013.
20. Abdalla, M., "A dual mode CRLH TL metamaterial antenna," 2014 IEEE AP-S International Antenna and Propagation Symposium Digest, 793-794, Memphis, USA, Jul. 6-11, 2014.
21. Abdalla, M., S. Karimian, and Z. Hu, "Dual band spurious-free SIR metamaterial antenna," 2014 IEEE AP-S International Antenna and Propagation Symposium Digest, 1005-1006, Memphis, USA, Jul. 6-11, 2014.
22. Abdalla, M., M. Fouad, A. Ahmed, and Z. Hu, "A new compact microstrip triple band antenna using half mode CRLH transmission line," 2013 IEEE AP-S Int. Antenna and Propagation Symposium Digest, 634-635, USA, 2013.
23. Abdalla, M., M. A. El-Dahab, and M. Ghouz, "Dual/triple band printed dipole antenna loaded with CRLH cells," 2014 IEEE AP-S International Antenna and Propagation Symposium Digest, 1007-1008, USA, 2014.
24. Abdalla, M. and A. Ibrahim, "Multi-band meta-material antenna with asymmetric coplanar strip-fed structure," 2015 IEEE AP-S International Antenna and Propagation Symposium Digest, 631-632, Canada, 2015.
25. Eleftheriades, G. V., "A generalized negative-refractive-index transmission-line (NRI-TL) metamaterial for dual-band and quad-band applications," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 17, No. 6, 415-417, 2007.
26. Rennings, A., S. Otto, J. Mosig, C. Caloz, and I. Wolff, "Extended composite right/left-handed (E-CRLH) metamaterial and its application as quadband quarter-wavelength transmission line," Asia-Pacific Microwave Conference (APMC), 1405-1408, Japan, Dec. 2006.
27. Ryan, C. and G. Eleftheriades, "Design of a printed dual-band coupled-line coupler with generalised negative-refractive index transmission lines," IET Microwaves, Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 6, 705-712, 2012.
28. Ryan, G. M. and G. V. Eleftheriades, "A single-ended all-pass generalized negative-refractive-index transmission line using a bridged-T circuit," Microwave 2012 IEEE MTT-S International Symposium Digest (MTT), 1-3, Canada, 2012.
29. Fouad, M. A. and M. A. Abdalla, "A new π-T generalized metamaterial NRI transmission line for a compact CPW triple BPF applications," IET Microwave, Antenna and Propagation, Vol. 8, No. 9, 1-8, Jun. 2014.
30. Papanastasiou, A. C., G. E. Georghiou, and G. V. Eleftheriades, "A quad-band Wilkinson power divider using generalized NRI transmission lines," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 18, No. 8, 521-523, 2008.
31. Markley, L. and G. V. Eleftheriades, "Quad-band negative-refractive-index transmission-line unit cell with reduced group delay," Electronics Letters, Vol. 46, No. 17, 1206-1208, 2010.
32. Studniberg, M. and G. V. Eleftheriades, "A dual-band bandpass filter based on generalized negative-refractive-index transmission-lines," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 19, No. 1, 18-20, 2009.
33. Fouad, M. and M. Abdalla, "A compact and new CPWdual BPF based on generalized metamaterial CRLH transmission line," 2013 IEEE AP-S Int. Antenna and Propagation Symposium Digest, 628-629, USA, 2013.
34. Fouad, M. A. and M. A. Abdalla, "Ultra compact CPW dual band filter based on Π-generalized metamaterial NRI transmission line," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 29, No. 8, 1093-1103, 2015.
35. Ryan, C. G. M. and G. V. Eleftheriades, "A dual-band leaky-wave antenna based on generalized negative-refractive-index transmission-lines," 2010 IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, 1-4, 2010.
36. Pozar, D. M., Microwave Engineering, J. Wiley & Sons, New York, 1998.
37. Bahl, I. J., Lumped Elements for RF and Microwave Circuits, Artech House, Boston London, 2003.
38. Hong, J. and M. J. Lancaster, Microstrip Filters for RF Microwave Applications, John Wiley & Sons, New York, 2001.