A compact triplet inline substrate integrated waveguide (SIW) bandpass filter is presented with sharp lower skirt and deep lower-stopband performance. The filter is composed of two SIW rectangular cavities and an embedded short-ended microstrip line on the top surface of two adjacent SIW cavities. A transmission zero can be generated by the cross coupling near the lower passband edge, which allows the filter implementation in inline with sharp lower skirt. Deep lower stopband performance is inherited from SIW. To validate the concept, a filter prototype with fractional bandwidth (FBW) of 4% at 5.75 GHz is designed, fabricated and measured. Good agreement can be obtained between the measured and simulated results.
2. Hong, J. S. and M. J. Lancaster, Microstrip Filters for RF/Microwave Application, Wiley, New York, 2001.
3. Wang, H. and Q. X. Chu, "An EM-coupled triangular open-loop filter with transmission zeros very close to passband," IEEE Microw. Wirel. Compon. Lett., Vol. 19, No. 2, 71-73, 2009.
4. Bozzi, M., A. Georgiadis, and K. Wu, "Review of substrate-integrated waveguide circuits and antennas," IET Microw. Antennas Propag., Vol. 5, No. 8, 909-920, 2011.
5. Gong, K., W. Hong, Y. Zhang, P. Chen, and C. J. You, "Substrate integrated waveguide quasi-elliptic filters with controllable electric and magnetic mixed coupling," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 60, No. 10, 3071-3078, 2012.
6. You, C. J., Z. N. Chen, X. W. Zhu, and K. Gong, "Single-layered SIWpost-loaded electric coupling-enhanced structure and its filter applications," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 61, No. 1, 125-130, 2013.
7. Shen, W., X. W. Sun, J. F. Mao, and Q. F. Wei, "A novel single-cavity dual mode substrated integrated waveguide filter with non-resonating node," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 19, No. 6, 368-370, 2009.
8. Thomas, J. B., "Cross-coupling in coaxial cavity filters-a tutorial overview," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 51, No. 4, 1368-1376, 2003.