In this contribution, the On-body propagation measurements at 40 m underground mine gallery and their statistical analysis are presented. Monopole antennas were installed on the body in order to form three on-body channels, namely belt-chest, belt-wrist and belt-head. The channel parameters of a 2 × 2 Multiple-Input Multiple-Output (MIMO) On-body system are evaluated and compared to the single-input single-output (SISO) system parameters. It was shown that the RMS delay spread and capacity values of the MIMO channels are higher than those of the SISO channels. The average value of the Ricean K-factor shows little difference between the MIMO and SISO belt-chest measurements. The calculated capacity values for a constant signal to noise ratio (SNR) and those calculated at a constant transmitted power demonstrate that the propagation performance is significantly improved by using the MIMO compared to the conventional SISO scheme. Hence, MIMO technology is a suitable candidate for On-body underground communications.
2. El-Azhari, M. E., M. Nedil, I. B. Mabrouk, and L. Talbi, "Off-body channel characterization at 2.45 GHz in underground mine environment," Proc. IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society Int. Symp. (APSURSI), 251-252, Jul. 6-11, 2014.
3. El Azhari, M., M. Nedil, I. B. Mabrouk, K. Ghanem, and L. Talbi, "Characterization of an off-body channel at 2.45 GHz in an underground mine environment," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 43, 91-100, 2015.
4. El Azhari, M., M. Nedil, and I. B. Mabrouk, "Performance evaluation of a SISO on-body system in underground mine environment," 2014 IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium (APSURSI), 249-250, Jul. 6-11, 2014.
5. El Azhari, M. E., M. Nedil, and I. B. Mabrouk, "Characterization of an on-body quasi-static channel in underground mine environment," 2015 IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium (APSURSI), Jul. 18-25, 2015.
6. Huan, L. B. and K. Hamaguchi, "A prototype BAN for medical and healthcare monitoring based on high band UWB," 2011 14th International Symposium on Wireless Personal Multimedia Communications (WPMC), 1-5, Oct. 3-7, 2011.
7. Kamarudin, M. R., Y. I. Nechayev, and P. S. Hall, "Performance of antennas in the On-body environment," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, 2005, Vol. 3A, 475-478, Jul. 3-8, 2005.
8. Nechayev, Y. I., P. S. Hall, C. C. Constantinou, Y. Hao, A. Alomainy, R. Dubrovka, and C. G. Parini, "On-body path gain variations with changing posture and antenna position," 2005 IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium (APSURSI), Vol. 1B, 731-734, Jul. 3-8, 2005.
9. Brizzi, A., A. Pellegrini, L. Zhang, and Y. Hao, "Accuracy of asymptotic techniques for on-body channel characterization at W band," 2014 IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Workshop Series on RF and Wireless Technologies for Biomedical and Healthcare Applications (IMWS-Bio), 1-3, Dec. 8-10, 2014.
10. Nechayev, Y. I. and P. S. Hall, "Multipath fading of on-body propagation channels," 2008 IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium (APSURSI), 1-4, Jul. 5-11, 2008.
11. Ahsanuzzaman Md Tariq, S., C. Despins, S. Affes, and C. Nerguizian, "Rough surface scattering analysis at 60 GHz in an underground minegallery," 2014 IEEE International Conference on Communications Workshops (ICC), 724-729, Jun. 2014.
12. Mabrouk, I. B., L. Talbi, M. Nedil, Y. Coulibaly, and T. A. Denidni, "Effect of antenna directivity on performance of MIMO systems in an underground gold mine," IET Proc. Microwaves, Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 6, No. 5, 555-561, Institution of Engineering and Technology (IET), Apr. 2012.
13. Rappaport, T. S., "Mobile radio propagation: Small scale fading and multipath," Wireless Communications: Principle and Practice, 2nd Edition, Prentice Hall, 2001.
14. Khan, I. and P. S. Hall, "Experimental evaluation of MIMO capacity and correlation for narrowband body-centric wireless channels," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 58, No. 1, 195-202, Jan. 2010.
15. Benmabrouk, I., L. Talbi, M. Nedil, and K. Hettak, "MIMO-UWB channel characterization within an underground mine gallery," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 60, No. 10, 4866-4874, Oct. 2012.
16. Tepedelenlioglu, C., A. Abdi, and G. Giannakis, "The ricean k factor: Estimation and performance analysis," IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communications, Vol. 2, No. 4, 799-810, 2003.
17. Lee, W. C. Y., "Estimate of channel capacity in Rayleigh fading environment," IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology, Vol. 39, No. 3, 187-189, Aug. 1990.
18. Hakan, I., "Multiple-input multiple-output system capacity: Antenna and propagation aspects," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 55, No. 1, 253-273, Feb. 2013.
19. Carrasco, H., R. Feick, and H. Hristov, "Experimental evaluation of indoor MIMO channel capacity for compact arrays of planar inverted-F antennas," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 49, No. 7, 1754-1756, Jul. 2007.
20. Svantesson, T. and J. Wallace, "On signal strength and multipath richness in multi-input multi-output systems," Proc. IEEE Int. Conf. on Commun., Vol. 4, 2683-2687, May 2003.
21. Biglier, E., R. Calderbank, A. Constantnides, A. Goldsmith, A. Paulraj, and H. V. Poor, MIMO Wireless Communications, Cambridge Univ. Press, New York, 2007.