A new compact microstrip UWB bandpass filter with triple band-notched characteristics is presented in this paper. The initial circuit topology and its corresponding electrical parameters of the basic microstrip UWB BPF are desired by a variation of genetic algorithm (GA) technique. Then, triple-notched bands inside the UWB passband are implemented by coupling a novel triple-mode stepped impedance resonator (TMSIR) to the main transmission line of the basic microstrip UWB BPF. The triple-notched bands can be easily generated and set at any desired frequencies by varying the designed parameters of TMSIR. To illustrate the possibilities of the new approach, a microstrip UWB BPF with triple-notched bands respectively centered at frequencies of 5.2 GHz, 6.8 GHz, and 8.0 GHz is designed and fabricated. Measured results agree well with the predicted counterparts.
2. Zhu, L., S. Sun, and W. Menzel, "Ultra-wideband (UWB) bandpass filters using multiple-mode resonator," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 15, No. 11, 796-798, 2005.
3. Wang, H., L. Zhu, and W. Menzel, "Ultra-wideband bandpass filter with hybrid microstrip/CPW structure," IEEE Microwave Wireless Compon. Letters, Vol. 15, No. 12, 844-846, 2005.
4. Shobeyri, M. and M. H. Vadjed-Samiei, "Compact ultra-wideband bandpass filter with defected ground structure," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 4, 25-31, 2008.
5. Comez-Garcia, R. and J. I. Alonso, "Systematic method for the exact synthesis of ultra-wideband filtering responses using high-pass and low-pass sections," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 54, No. 10, 3751-3764, 2006.
6. Wong, S. W. and L. Zhu, "Implementation of compact UWB bandpass filter with a notch-band," IEEE Microw. Wirel. Compon. Lett., Vol. 18, No. 1, 10-12, 2008.
7. Wei, F., L. Chen, X.-W. Shi, X. H. Wang, and Q. Huang, "Compact UWB bandpass filter with notched band," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 4, 121-128, 2008.
8. Wei, F., Q. Y. Wu, X. W. Shi, and L. Chen, "Compact UWB bandpass filter with dual notched bands based on SCRLH resonator," IEEE Microw. Wirel. Compon. Lett., Vol. 21, No. 1, 28-30, 2011.
9. Wu, H.-W., M.-H. Weng, and C.-Y. Hung, "Ultra wideband bandpass filter with dual notch bands," Proc. Asia-Pacific Microwave Conf., 33-36, Yokohama, Japan, 2010.
10. Hsiao, P.-Y. and R.-M. Weng, "Compact tri-layer ultra-wideband bandpass filter with dual notch bands," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 106, 49-60, 2010.
11. Hao, Z.-C., J.-S. Hong, S. K. Alotaibi, , J. P. Parry, and D. P. Hand, "Ultra-wideband bandpass filter with multiple notch-bands on multilayer liquid crystal polymer substrate," IET Microw. Antennas Propag., Vol. 3, No. 5, 749-756, 2009.
12. Hao, Z.-C., J.-S. Hong, J.P. Parry, Hand, and D. P. Hand, "Ultra-wideband bandpass filter with multiple notch bands using nonuniform periodical slotted ground structure," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 57, No. 12, 3080-3088, 2009.
13. Luo, X., J.-G. Ma, K. S. Yeo, and E.-P. Li, "Compact ultra-wideband (UWB) bandpass filter with ultra-narrow dual- and quad-notched bands," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 59, No. 6, 1509-1519, 2011.
14. Nosrati, M. and M. Daneshmand, "Compact microstrip UWB double/single notch-band BPF based on wave's cancellation theory," IET Microw. Antennas Propag., Vol. 6, No. 8, 862-868, 2012.
15. Nosrati, M. and M. Daneshmand, "Developing single-layer ultra-wideband band-pass filter with multiple (triple and quadruple) notches," IET Microw. Antennas Propag., Vol. 7, No. 8, 612-620, 2013.
16. Dong, Y. L., C.-M. Sun, W.-Y. Fu, and W. Shao, "Ultra-wideband bandpass filters with triple and quad frequency notched bands," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 26, No. 11-12, 1624-1630, 2012.
17. Hsu, M.-H. and J.-F. Huang, "Annealing algorithm applied in optimum design of 2.4 GHz and 5.2 GHz dual-wideband microstrip line filters," IEICE Trans. Electronics., Vol. E88C, No. 1, 47-56, 2005.
18. Tsai, L.-C. and C.-W. Hsue, "Dual-band bandpass filters using equal-length coupled-serial- shunted lines and Z-transforms technique," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 52, No. 4, 1111-1117, 2004.
19. Nicholson, G.-L. and M.-J. Lancaster, "Coupling matrix synthesis of cross coupled microwave filters using a hybrid optimisation algorithm," IET Trans. Microw. Antennas Propag., Vol. 3, No. 6, 1111-1117, 2009.
20. Zhao, Y.-X., F. Chen, H. Chen, N. Li, Q. Shen, and L. Zhang, "The microstructure design optimization of negative index metamaterials using genetic algorithm," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 22, 95-108, 2011.
21. Lai, M.-I. and S.-K. Jeng, "Compact microstrip dual-band bandpass filters design using genetic-algorithm techniques," IEEE Trans. on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 54, No. 1, Jan. 2006.
22. Gao, L., X. Y. Zhang, B.-J. Hu, and Q. Xue, "Novel multi-stub loaded resonators and their applications to various bandpass filters," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 62, No. 5, 1162-1172, May 2014.