In this paper, a novel compact band pass filter (BPF) is proposed for Global Positioning System (GPS) receivers. The proposed BPF configuration is composed of a low pass filter (LPF) section formed by the coupled line transformer connected with a radial stub and two short circuited stubs embedded within the 50 Ω microstrip line connecting the input/output (I/O) port of LPF. The lumped equivalent model of proposed BPF is also presented and analyzed. Simulation as well as experimental results shows very good in-band (pass-band) and out-of-band (≈ 7fc (centre frequency)) characteristics. The 3 dB fractional bandwidth (FBW) is 3.2 % of fc, thus satisfying the GPS receiver requirement and the minimum insertion loss (IL) in pass-band is 1.28 dB.
2. Worapishet, A., K. Srisathit, and W. Surakampontorn, "Stepped-impedance coupled resonators for implementation of parallel coupled microstrip filters with spurious band suppression," IEEE Trans. on Microw. Theory and Tech., Vol. 60, No. 6, 1540-1548, 2012.
3. Deng, P.-H. and J.-T. Tsai, "Design of microstrip cross-coupled bandpass filter with multiple independent designable transmission zeros using branch-line resonators," IEEE Microw. and Wire. Comp. Lett., Vol. 23, No. 5, 249-251, 2013.
4. Hejazi, Z. M. and A. Omar, "Modeling and simulation of novel ultra-narrowband miniature microstrip filters for mobile and wireless critical applications," Microw. and Opt. Tech. Lett., Vol. 45, No. 1, 35-39, 2005.
5. Esfeh, B. K., A. Ismail, R. S. A. Raja Abdullah, H. Adam, and A. R. H. Alhawari, "Compact narrowband bandpass filter using dual-mode octagonal meandered loop resonator for WiMAX application," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 16, 277-290, 2009.
6. Lin, T.-W., J.-T. Kuo, and S.-J. Chung, "Dual-mode ring resonator bandpass filter with asymmetric inductive coupling and its miniaturization," IEEE Trans. on Microw. Theory and Tech., Vol. 60, No. 9, 2808-2814, 2012.
7. Zhang, S., L. Zhu, and R. Li, "Compact quadruplet bandpass filter based on alternative J/K inverters and λ/4 resonators," IEEE Microw. and Wire. Comp. Lett., Vol. 22, No. 5, 224-226, 2012.
8. Zhang, S. and L. Zhu, "Synthesis method for even-order symmetrical chebyshev bandpass filters with alternative J/K inverters and λ/4 resonators," IEEE Trans. on Microw. Theory and Tech., Vol. 61, No. 2, 808-816, 2013.
9. Lin, S.-C., "New microstrip cascaded-quadruplet bandpass filter based on connected couplings and short-ended parallel-coupled line," IEEE Microw. and Wire. Comp. Lett., Vol. 24, No. 1, 2-4, 2014.
10. Feng, W. and W. Che, "Bandpass filter using open/shorted dual behaviour resonators," Electronics Lett., Vol. 50, No. 8, 610-611, 2014.
11. Kumar, N. and Y. K. Singh, "Compact stub-loaded open-loop BPF with enhanced stopband by introducing extra transmission zeros," Electronics Lett., Vol. 51, No. 2, 164-166, 2015.
12. Zong, B.-F., G.-M. Wang, J.-G. Liang, and C. Zhou, "Compact bandpass filter with two tunable transmission zeros using hybrid resonators," IEEE Microw. and Wire. Comp. Lett., Vol. 25, No. 2, 88-90, 2015.
13. Park, J.-S., J.-S. Yun, and D. Ahn, "A design of the novel coupled-line bandpass filter using defected ground structure with wide stopband performance," IEEE Trans. on Microw. Theory and Tech., Vol. 50, No. 9, 2037-2043, 2002.
14. Ma, K. and K. S. Yeo, "New ultra-wide stopband low-pass filter using transformed radial stubs," IEEE Trans. on Microw. Theory and Tech., Vol. 59, No. 3, 604-611, 2011.
15. Ma, K., S. Mou, K.Wang, and K. S. Yeo, "Radial loaded transformed radial stub for LPF stopband extension," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 30, 125-132, 2012.
16. Singh, P. K., A. K. Tiwary, and N. Gupta, "Design and development of radial stub low-pass filter with improved characteristics," 10th Int. Conf. on Microw., Antenna, Propag. and Remote Sensing (ICMARS), 13-16, Jodhpur, India, 2014.
17. Tan, B. T., J. J. Yu, S. T. Chew, M.-S. Leong, and B.-L. Ooi, "A miniaturized dual-mode ring bandpass filter with a new perturbation," IEEE Trans. on Microw. Theory and Tech., Vol. 53, No. 1, 343-348, 2005.
18. Mao, R.-J., X.-H. Tang, and F. Xiao, "Miniaturized dual-mode ring bandpass filters with patterned ground plane," IEEE Trans. on Microw. Theory and Tech., Vol. 55, No. 7, 1539-1547, 2007.
19. Xu, J., Y.-X. Ji, W. Wu, and C. Miao, "Design of miniaturized microstrip LPF and wideband BPF with ultra-wide stopband," IEEE Microw. and Wire. Comp. Lett., Vol. 23, No. 8, 397-399, 2013.
20. Fu, Z., K. M. Lum, and W. T. Koh, "Novel bow-tie bandpass filter design using multiple radial stubs," PIERS Proceedings, 1484-1487, Moscow, Russia, Aug. 19-23, 2012.
21. Xu, J., W. Wu, W. Kang, and C. Miao, "Compact UWB bandpass filter with a notched band using radial stub loaded resonator," IEEE Microw. and Wire. Comp. Lett., Vol. 22, No. 7, 351-353, 2012.
22. Xu, J., "Compact quasi-elliptic response wideband bandpass filter with four transmission zeros," IEEE Microw. and Wire. Comp. Lett., Vol. 25, No. 3, 169-171, 2015.
23. Ma, K., S. Mou, K. Wang, and K. S. Yeo, "Embedded transformed radial stub cell for BPF with spurious-free above ten octaves," IEEE Trans. on Comp., Pack. and Manuf. Tech., Vol. 3, No. 9, 1597-1603, 2013.
24. Kwon, H., H. Lim, and B. Kang, "Design of 6–18 GHz wideband phase shifters using radial stubs," IEEE Microw. and Wire. Comp. Lett., Vol. 17, No. 3, 205-207, 2007.
25. Goldfarb, M. E. and R. A. Pucel, "Modeling via hole grounds in microstrip," IEEE Microw. Guided Wave Lett., Vol. 1, No. 6, 135-137, 1991.
26. Hong, J.-S. and M. J. Lancaster, Microstrip Filters for RF/Microwave Applications, Wiley, New York, USA, 2001.