A tunable planar bandpass filter based on a technique that utilizes a half mode substrate integrated waveguide (HMSIW) and novel inter-resonator coupling is presented. The tunable HMSIW based bandpass filter is implemented using two half triangle shaped cavities coupled together through inter-resonator coupling forming half mode bowtie-shaped structure. The bowtie-shaped filter exhibits similar performance as found in rectangle- and circle-shaped SIW based bandpass filters. This concept reduces the circuit foot print, and miniaturization high quality factor is maintained by the structure. The tunable filter utilizes packaged RF MEMS switches; switching between different configurations of switches achieves four distinctive frequency states between 4.8-5.3 GHz. The filter maintains a constant absolute 1 dB bandwidth of 100±10 MHz for all frequency states.
2. Wang, L., S. Glisic, J. Borngraeber, W.Winkler, and J. C. A Scheytt, "Single-ended fully integrated SiGe 77/79 GHz receiver for automotive radar," IEEE Journal of Solid-State Circuits, Vol. 43, 1897-1908, 2008.
3. Yan, X., H. Zhang, and C. Wu, "Research and development of intelligent transportation systems," Proceedings of the 11th International Symposium on Distributed Computing and Applications to Business Engineering & Science, 321-327, Guilin, China, 2012.
4. Wilson, J. P., C. A. Schuetz, R. Martin, T. E. Dillon, P. Yao, and D. W. Prather, "Polarization sensitive millimeter-wave imaging sensor based on optical up-conversion scaled to a distributed aperture," Proceedings of the 37th International Conference on Infrared, Millimeter, and Terahertz Waves, Vol. 1, 23-28, Wollongong, Australia, 2012.
5. Niknejad, A. M. and H. Hashemi, Millimetre-wave Silicon Technology: 60 GHz and Beyond, Springer, 2008.
6. Hirokawa, J. and M. Ando, "Single-layer feed waveguide consisting of posts for plane TEM wave excitation in parallel plates," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 46, No. 5, 625-630, 1998.
7. Yang, K. S., S. Pinel, K. Kim, and J. Laskar, "Low-Loss integrated-waveguide passive circuits using liquid-crystal polymer System-on-Package (SOP) technology for millimeter-wave applications," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 54, No. 12, 4572-4579, 2006.
8. Xu, J., Z. N. Chen, X. Qing, and W. Hong, "140-GHz planar broadband LTCC SIW slot antenna array," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 60, No. 6, 3025-3028, 2012.
9. Hong, W., B. Liu, and Y. Q. Wang, "Half mode substrate integrated waveguide: A new guided wave structure for microwave and millimeter wave application," IRMMW-THz Conference Digest, 219, 2006.
10. Deslandes, D. and K. Wu, "Accurate modeling, wave mechanisms, and design considerations of a substrate integrated waveguide," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 54, No. 6, 2516-2526, 2006.
11. Hong, J.-S., Wiley Series in Microwave and Optical Engineering, Microstrip Filters for RF/Microwave Applications, John Wiley & Sons, Inc., 2011.
12., , Radant MEMS, MA, USA, RMSW221 SPDT RF MEMS switch (datasheet), 2 pages,[Online] Cited 2015-09-01. Available at: http://www.radantmems.com/radantmems.data/Library/RMSW221.pdf.