An X-band radiator as an open-ended waveguide with a hybrid dielectric insert is proposed. The insert is in the form of a parallelepiped, which fills the entire cross section of the waveguide and constitutes a Teflon matrix with local inhomogeneities in the form of dielectric cylinders with a different permittivity. The design allows for forming various near-field distributions and, hence, the radiator performance by means of definite combinations of the local inhomogeneities can be modified. A number of configurations in the location of air and quartz cylinders are investigted. The calculated and experimental results are in good agreement. The proposed approach to the near-field formation of the aperture antenna is promising, because the variety of possible configurations in the location of local inhomogeneities with different permittivity provides new opportunities in terms of designing both single radiators and antenna arrays.
2. Coman, C. I., I. E. Lager, and L. P. Ligthart, "The design of a matching circuit for dielectric-filled open-ended waveguide antenna," Proc. European Radar Conf., 1409-1412, 2004.
3. Coman, C. I., I. E. Lager, and L. P. Ligthart, "Optimization of linear sparse array antennas consisting of electromagnetically coupled apertures," Proc. European Radar Conf., 302-304, 2004.
4. Gardiol, F. and J.-C. Bolomey, Engineering Applications of the Modulated Scatterer Technique, Artech House, Boston, 2001.
5. Bakhtiari, S., S. I. Ganchev, and R. Zoughi, "Open-ended rectangular waveguide for nondestructive thickness measurement and detection of lossy dielectric slabs backed by a conductive plate," IEEE Trans. Intrum. Meas., Vol. 42, 19-24, 1993.
6. Maazi, M., D. Glay, and T. Lasri, "Millimeter wave non destructive technologies and artificial neural networks for near field characterization of embedded defects," Proc. ICONIC 2005, 329-334, 2005.
7. Chernobrovkin, R., I. Ivanchenko, and N. Popenko, "A novel V-band antenna for nondestructive testing techniques," Microw. Opt. Techn. Lett., Vol. 49, No. 7, 1732-1735, 2007.
8. Qaddoumi, N. Q., W. M. Saleh, and M. Abou-Khousa, "Innovative near-field microwave nondestructive testing of corroded metallic structures utilizing open-ended rectangular waveguide probes," IEEE Trans. Intrum. Meas., Vol. 56, 1961-1966, 2007.
9. Chernobrovkin, R., I. Ivanchenko, and N. Popenko, "A novel V-band antenna for nondestructive testing techniques," Microw. Opt. Techn. Lett., Vol. 49, No. 7, 1732-1735, 2007.
10. Yang, J. J., M. Huang, H. Tang, J. Zeng, and L. Dong, "Metamaterial sensors," Int. J. Antennas Propag., Vol. 2013, Article ID 637270, 2013.
11. Ren, Z., S. B. Muhammed, and O. M. Ramahi, "Near-field subsurface detection using metamaterial inspired probes," Appl. Phys. A, Vol. 103, 839-842, 2011.
12. Hwang, R.-B., H.-W. Liu, and C.-Y. Chin, "A metamaterial-based E-plane horn antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 93, 275-289, 2009.
13. Tomaz, A., J. J. Barroso, U. C. Hasar, and A. J. Faro Orlando, "Directivity enhancement of an X-band horn antenna loaded by a wire medium," PIERS Proceedings, 1128-1131, Stockholm, August 12-15, 2013.
14. Sporer, M., A. Friedrich, R. Weigel, and A. Koelpin, "Open-ended dielectric-filled waveguide antenna for underwater usage," European Microwave Conference (EuMC) 2014, 1683-1686, 2014.
15. Chernobrovkin, R., I. Ivanchenko, L. Ligthart, A. Korolev, and N. Popenko, "Wide-angle X-band antenna array with novel radiating elements," Radioengineering, Vol. 17, No. 2, 72-76, 2008.
16. Elsherbini, A. and K. Sarabandi, "Compact directive ultra-wideband rectangular waveguide based antenna for radar and communication applications," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 60, No. 5, 2203-2209, 2012.
17. Ranade, S. R. and D. U. Nair, "Design of a substrate integrated waveguide H plane horn antenna on a PTFE substrate for automotive radar application," Applied Electromagnetics Conference (AEMC), 2011 IEEE, 1-4, 2011.
18. Wang, J., Z. Xu, Z. Yu, X. Wei, Y. Yang, J. Wang, and S. Qu, "Experimental realization of all-dielectric composite cubes/rods left-handed metamaterial," J. Appl. Phys., Vol. 109, 084918, 2011.
19. Andrenko, A. S., I. V. Ivanchenko, D. I. Ivanchenko, S. Y. Karelin, A. M. Korolev, E. P. Laz'ko, and N. A. Popenko, "Active broad X-band circular patch antenna," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 5, 529-533, 2006.