In this paper, a nonlinear phase enhancement of multi-resonance composite right/left-handed unit cell for multi-band antennas is presented. Different antennas with nonlinear enhanced phase which can operate up to five different frequency bands are introduced. Meanwhile, the proposed antennas have compact size so that they can demonstrate size reduction up to 60% compared to conventional patch antennas operating at the same frequencies. The achieved phase enhancement has been validated by comparing two different configurations of composite right/left-handed cells. The analysis, electromagnetic full wave simulations and experimental results are discussed. A reasonable agreement is achieved between the measured and simulated results.
2. Song, K., Y.-Z. Yin, and B. Chen, "Triple-band open L-slot antenna with a slit and a strip for WLAN/WiMAX applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 22, 139-146, 2011.
3. Hu, W., Y. Z. Yin, P. Fei, and X. Yang, "Compact triband square-slot antenna with symmetrical L-strips for WLAN/WiMAX applications," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 10, 462-465, 2011.
4. Risco, S., J. Anguera, A. Anduar, A. Perez, and C. Puente, "Coupled monopole antenna design for multiband handset devices," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 52, 359-364, 2010.
5. Ciais, P., R. Staraj, G. Kossiavas, and C. Luxey, "Design of an internal quad-band antenna for mobile phones," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 14, 148-150, 2004.
6. Caloz, C. and T. Itoh, Electromagnetic Metamaterials Transmission Line Theory and Microwave Applications, John Wiley & Sons, New Jersey, 2006.
7. Engheta, N. and R. W. Ziolkowski, Electromagnetic Metamaterials: Physics and Engineering Explorations, Wiley, Hoboken, NJ, 2006.
8. Eleftheriades, G. V. and K. G. Balmain, Negative Refractive Metamaterials, John Wiley & Sons, New Jersey, 2005.
9. Eleftheriades, G. V., "Enabling RF/microwave devices using negative-refractive-index transmission-line (NRI-TL) metamaterials," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 49, No. 2, 34-51, 2007.
10. Caloz, C., "Metamaterial dispersion engineering concepts and applications," Proceedings of the IEEE, Vol. 99, No. 10, 1711-1719, 2011.
11. Holloway, C. L., E. F. Kuester, J. A. Gordon, J. O'Hara, J. Booth, and D. R. Smith, "An overview of the theory and applications of metasurfaces: The two-dimensional equivalents of metamaterials," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 54, No. 2, 10-35, 2012.
12. Dong, Y. and T. Itoh, "Promising future of metamaterials," IEEE Microwave Magaz., Vol. 13, No. 2, 39-56, 2012.
13. Abdalla, M. A. and Z. Hu, "Compact tunable left handed ferrite transformer," International Journal of Infrared and Millimeter Waves, Vol. 30, No. 8, 813-825, 2009.
14. Abdalla, M. A. and Z. Hu, "Compact novel CPW ferrite coupled line circulator with left-handed power divider/combiner," 2011 European Microwave Week, EuMW2011, 794-707, Digest, Manchester, UK, 2011.
15. Karimian, S., Z. Hu, and M. Abdalla, "Compact half-wavelength metamaterial stepped impedance resonator (SIR)," IEEE International Symposium on Antennas and Propagation AP-S, 2951-2953, 2011.
16. Abdalla, M. A., M. A. Fouad, H. A. Elregeily, and A. A. Mitkees, "Wideband negative permittivity metamaterial for size reduction of stopband filter in antenna applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 25, 55-66, 2012.
17. Abdalla, M. A. and Z. Hu, "On the study of left-handed coplanar waveguide coupler on ferrite substrate," PIERS Proceedings, 667-671, Hangzhou, China, Mar. 24-28, 2008.
18. Abdalla, M. A., "Experimental verification of a triple band thin radar absorber metamaterial for oblique incidence applications," Progress In Electromagnetic Research Letters, Vol. 39, 63-72, 2013.
19. Segovia-Vargas, D., F. J. Herraiz-Martinez, E. Ugarte-Munoz, L. E. Garcia-Munoz, and V. Gonzalez-Posadas, "Quad-frequency linearly-polarized and dual-frequency circularly-polarized microstrip patch antennas with CRLH loading," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 133, 91-115, 2013.
20. Ha, J., K. Kwon, Y. Lee, and J. Choi, "Hybrid mode wideband patch antenna loaded with a planar metamaterial unit cell," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 60, No. 2, 1143-1147, 2012.
21. Dong, Y. and T. Itoh, "Metamaterial-based antennas," IEEE Proceedings, Vol. 100, No. 7, 2271-2285, 2012.
22. Mehdipour, A. and G. V. Eleftheriades, "Leaky-wave antennas using negative-refractive-index transmission-line metamaterial supercells," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 62, No. 8, 3929-3942, 2014.
23. Rahimi, M., F. B. Zarrabi, R. Ahmadian, Z. Mansouri, and A. Keshtkar, "Miniaturization of antenna for wireless application with difference metamaterial structures," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 145, 19-29, 2014.
24. Abdalla, M. A. and Z. Hu, "A compact dual band meta-material antenna for wireless applications," 2012 Loughborough Antennas & Propagation Conference, 1-4, UK, 2012.
25. Abdalla, M., S. Karimian, and Z. Hu, "Dual band spurious-free SIR metamaterial antenna," IEEE AP-S International Antenna and Propagation Symposium Digest, 1005-1006, Memphis, USA, 2014.
26. Abdalla, M., "A dual mode CRLH TL metamaterial antenna," 2014 IEEE AP-S International Antenna and Propagation Symposium Digest, 793-794, Memphis, USA, 2014.
27. Abdalla, M. A., U. Abdelnaby, and A. A. Mitkees, "Compact and triple band meta-material antenna for all WiMAX applications," ISAP Int. Symp. Dig., 1176-1179, 2012.
28. Abdalla, M., M. Abo El-Dahab, and M. Ghouz, "Dual/triple band printed dipole antenna loaded with CRLH cells," IEEE AP-S Int. Symp. Dig., 1007-1008, Jul. 2014.
29. Pozar, D. M., Microwave Engineering, 4th Ed., J. Wiley & Sons, New York, 2012.
30. Shen, J., G. Hong, and M. J. Lancaster, Microstrip Filters for RF/Microwave Applications, 2nd Ed., Wiley, 2004.