This paper presents a new implementation technique of transmission zeros in an in-line coupled filter. Neither cross couplings between non-adjacent resonators nor separate side-line resonators have been used. Instead a mixture of single-mode hairpin resonators and dual-mode patch resonators have been adopted in a bandpass filter with one asymmetric transmission zero. The introduction of the patch led to an improved frequency selectivity through an independently controllable transmission zero. This approach has been verified by a three-pole filter at 2.6 GHz with 8% bandwidth and a transmission zero at 2.4 GHz. Good agreement has been shown between the measurements and the simulation.
2. Yusuf, Y. and X. Gong, "Compact low-loss integration of high-3-D filters with highly efficient antennas," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theo. Techn., Vol. 59, No. 4, 857-865, April 2011.
3. Mao, C. X., S. Gao, Z. P. Wang, Y. Wang, F. Qin, B. Sanz-Izquierdo, and Q. X. Chu, "Integrated filtering-antenna with controllable frequency bandwidth," 9th Europ. Conf. on Antennas and Propagation (EuCAP), April 12-17, 2015.
4. Hong, J.-S., Microstrip Filters for RF/Microwave Applications, John Wiley & Sons, Inc., 2011.
5. Liao, C. and C. Chang, "Design of microstrip quadruplet filters with source-load coupling," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 53, No. 7, 2302-2308, July 2005.
6. Rhodes, J. and R. Cameron, "General extracted pole synthesis technique with applications to low-loss TE011 mode filters," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 28, No. 9, 1018-1028, September 1980.
7. Macchiarella, G. and M. Politi, "Use of generalized coupling coefficients in the design of extracted-poles waveguide filters with non-resonating nodes," IEEE MTT-S Int. Microw. Symp. Dig., 1341-1344, June 2009.
8. Jedrzejewski, A., N. Leszczynska, L. Szydlowski, and M. Mrozowski, "Zero-pole approach to computer aided design of in-line SIW filters with transmission zeros," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 131, 517-533, 2012.
9. Yeo, K., M. Lancaster, and J. Hong, "The design of microstrip six-pole quasi-elliptic filter with linear phase response using extracted-pole technique," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory and Technique, Vol. 40, No. 2, 321-327, 2001.