Evanescent mode substrate integrated waveguide (SIW) is one of the promising technologies for design of light-weight low-cost microwave components. Traditional realization methods used in the standard evanescent waveguide technology are often not directly applicable to SIW due to dielectric filling and small height of the waveguide. In this work, one of the realization methods of evanescent mode waveguides using a single layer substrate is considered. The method is based on the use of coaxial stubs as capacitive susceptances externally connected to a SIW. A microwave filter based on these principles is designed, fabricated, and tested. The filter exhibits a transmission zero due to the implemented stubs. The problem of evanescent mode filter analysis is formulated in terms of conventional network concepts. This formulation is then used for modelling of the filters. Strategies to further miniaturization of the microwave filter are discussed. The approach is useful in applications where a sharp roll-off at the upper stop-band is required.
2. Kirilenko, A., L. Rud, V. Tkachenko, and D. Kulik, "Evanescent-mode ridged waveguide bandpass filters with improved performance," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 50, No. 5, 1324-1327, May 2002.
3. Wu, L.-S., X.-L. Zhou, and W.-Y. Yin, "Evanescent-mode bandpass filters using folded and ridge substrate integrated waveguides (SIWs)," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 19, No. 3, 161-163, March 2009.
4. Wu, L.-S., X.-L. Zhou, W.-Y. Yin, L. Zhou, and J.-F. Mao, "A substrate-integrated evanescent-mode waveguide filter with nonresonating node in low-temperature Co-fired ceramic," IEEE Transactions on MTT, Vol. 58, No. 10, 2654-2662, October 2010.
5. Huang, L., I. D. Robertson, W. Wu, and N. Yuan, "Substrate integrated waveguide filters with broadside-coupled complementary split ring resonators," IET Microw. Antennas Propag., Vol. 7, No. 10, 795-801, 2013.
6. Dong, Y., C.-T. M. Wu, and T. Itoh, "Miniaturised multi-band substrate integrated waveguide filters using complementary split-ring resonators," IET Microw. Antennas Propag., Vol. 6, No. 6, 611-620, 2012.
7. Zhang, Q.-L., W.-Y. Yin, and S. He, "Evanescent-mode substrate integrated waveguide (SIW) filters implemented with complementary split ring resonators," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 111, 419-432, 2011.
8. Craven, G. F. and C. K. Mok, "The design of evanescent mode waveguide bandpass filters for a prescribed insertion loss characteristic," IEEE Transactions on MTT, Vol. 19, No. 3, 295-308, March 1971.
9. Craven, G. and R. Skedd, Evanescent Mode Microwave Components, 180, Artech House, 1987.
10. Snyder, R. V., "Inverted-resonator evanescent mode filters," IEEE MTT-S Microwave Symposium Digest, Vol. 2, 465-468, 1996.
11. Marcuvitz, N., Waveguide Handbook, 446, IEEE Electromagnetic Waves Series, 1986.
12. Ramo, S. and J. R. Whinnery, Fields and Waves in Modern Radio, 2nd Ed., John Wiley and Sons, New York, 1962.
13. Rizzi, P. A., Microwave Engineering: Passive Circuits, Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs, NJ, 1988.
14. Hong, J.-S. and M. J. Lancaster, Microstrip Filters for RF/Microwave Applications, 457, John Wiley & Sons, Inc., 2001.
15., RO4000 Series High Frequency Circuit Materials, 8, Datasheet, Rogers Corp..
16., , Coaxial Cable: EZ 141, Data Sheet, 2, Huber+Suhner.
17. Jarry, P., J. Beneat, E. Kerherve, and H. Baher, "New class of rectangular and circular evanescent-mode waveguide filter," International Journal of RF and Microwave Computer-Aided Engineering, Vol. 8, No. 2, 161-192, March 1998.