This research work proposes an efficient four-wave mixing (FWM) based routing and wavelength assignment (RWA) scheme for the improvement of connection blocking probability in WDM/DWDM networks. However, the traditional RWA schemes are less efficient for the better quality of transmission, and the proposed RWA scheme partitions the entire fiber transmission window into N number of bands and assigns wavelength randomly from one of the band based on connection length. Finally, the analytical result proves that the mechanism reduces the FWM effect significantly in terms of connection blocking probability with higher partition, lower FWM effect and better performance.
2. Zang, H., et al., "A review of routing and wavelength assignment approaches for wavelength-routed optical WDM networks," Optical Networks Magazine, Vol. 1, No. 1, 47-60, 2000.
3. Adhya, A. and D. Datta, "Design methodology for WDM backbone networks using FWM-aware heuristic algorithm," Optical Switching and Networking, Vol. 6, No. 1, 10-19, 2009.
4. Adhya, A. and D. Datta, "Lightpath topology design for wavelength-routed optical networks in the presence of fourwave mixing," IEEE/OSA Journal of Optical Communications and Networking, Vol. 4, No. 4, 314-325, 2012.
5. Thing, V. L., P. Shum, and M. Rao, "Bandwidth-efficient WDM channel allocation for four-wave mixing-effect minimization," IEEE Transactions on Communications, Vol. 52, No. 12, 2184-2189, 2004.
6. Murthy, C. and M. Gurusamy, WDM Optical Networks: Concepts, Design, and Algorithms, Prentice Hall PTR, 2002.
7. Ramamurthy, R. and B. Mukherjee, "Fixed-alternate routing and wavelength conversion in wavelength-routed optical networks," IEEE/ACM Transactions on Networking, Vol. 10, No. 2, 351-367, 2002.
8. Bhanja, U., S. Mahapatra, and R. Roy, "FWM aware evolutionary programming algorithm for transparent optical networks," Photonic Network Communications, Vol. 23, No. 3, 285-299, 2012.
9. Poo, G.-S. and A. Ding, "Blocking performance analysis on adaptive routing over WDM networks with finite wavelength conversion capability," Photonic Network Communications, Vol. 12, No. 2, 211-218, 2006.
10. Lezama, F., G. Castan, and A. M. Sarmiento, "Routing and wavelength assignment in all optical networks using differential evolution optimization ," Photonics Network Communication, Vol. 26, No. 2, 103-119, 2013.
11. Wason, A. and R. Kaler, "Wavelength assignment algorithms for WDM optical networks," Optik — International Journal for Light and Electron Optics, Vol. 122, No. 10, 877-880, 2011.
12. Forghieri, F., R. Tkach, and A. Chraplyvy, "WDM systems with unequally spaced channels," Journal of Lightwave Technology, Vol. 13, No. 5, 889-897, 1995.
13. Lopes, C., T. Carvalho, and E. De Souza, "FWM constraints management for lightpath establishment in GMPLS networks," Journal of Lightwave Technology, Vol. 29, No. 18, 2774-2779, 2011.
14. Marsden, A., A. Maruta, and K. Kitayama, "Routing and wavelength assignment encompassing FWM in WDM lightpath networks," International Conference on Optical Network Design and Modeling, ONDM 2008, 1-6, 2008.
15. Das, S., A. Samantray, and S. Patra, "Hybrid crosstalk aware Q-factor analysis for selection of optical virtual private network connection," International Journal of Electronics, Taylor and Francis, 2015, Doi: 10.1080/00207217.2015.1036311.
16. Tang, J., C. K. Siew, and L. Zhang, "Optical nonlinear effects on the performance of IP traffic over GMPLS-based DWDM networks," Computer Communications, Vol. 26, No. 12, 1330-1340, 2003.
17. Bogoni, A. and L. Poti, "Effective channel allocation to reduce inband FWM crosstalk in DWDM transmission systems," IEEE Journal of Selected Topics in Quantum Electronics, Vol. 10, No. 2, 387-392, 2004.