A novel multi-band band-reject filter based on multi-ring complementary split-ring resonators (multi-ring CSRRs) is presented. The proposed filter is realized by etching the multi-ring CSRRs in the ground plane beneath a microstrip line. The multi-ring CSRR offers the possibility of designing multi-band filters with a small size and simple structure. To validate the proposed prototype of the multi-band filter, a dual-band and tri-band filters were fabricated and tested. The proposed filters show a good multi-band property to satisfy the requirement of WLAN in the 2.4/5.8 GHz bands and WiMAX in the 2.5/3.4 GHz bands. A good agreement between experimental and simulated results is obtained.
2. Pendry, J. B., A. J. Holden, D. J. Robbins, and W. J. Stewart, "Magnetism from conductors and enhanced nonlinear phenomena," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 47, 2075-2084, 1999.
3. Smith, D. R., W. J. Padilla, D. C. Wier, S. C. Nemat-Nasser, and S. Schultz, "Composite medium with simultaneously negative permeability and permittivity," Physical Review Letters, Vol. 84, 4184-4187, 2000.
4. Marques, R., F. Mesa, J. Martel, and F. Medina, "Comparative analysis of edge- and broadside-coupled split ring resonators for metamaterial design-theory and experiments," IET Microwaves, Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 51, 2572-2581, 2003.
5. Garca-Garca, J. J., I. Gil, F. Martin, M. C. Velzquez-Ahumada, and J. Martel, "Efficient area reduction in microstrip crosscoupled resonator filters by using split rings resonators and spiral resonators," 35th European Microwave Conference (CCECE), 1235-1238, 2005.
6. Fan, J.-W., C.-H. Liang, and D. Li, "Design of cross-coupled dual-band filter with equal-length split-ring resonators," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 75, 285-293, 2007.
7. De Paco, P., O. Menendez, and J. Marin, "Dual-band filter using non-bianisotropic split-ring resonators," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 13, 51-58, 2010.
8. Zhou, L., S. Liu, H. Zhang, X. Kong, and Y. Guo, "Compact dual-band bandpass filter using improved split ring resonators based on stepped impedance resonator," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 23, 57-63, 2011.
9. Fallahzadeh, S., H. Bahrami, and M. Tayarani, "A novel dual-band bandstop waveguide filter using split ring resonators," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 12, 133-139, 2009.
10. Falcone, F., T. Lopetegi, J. D. Baena, R. Marques, R. Martin, and M. Sorolla, "Effective nagative-ε stopband microstrip lines based on complementary split ring resonators," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 14, 280-282, 2004.
11. Taher Al-Nuaimi, M. K. and W. G. Whittow, "Compact microstrip band stop filter using SRR and CSSR: Design, simulation and results," The European Conference on Antennas and Propagation, 1-5, 2010.
12. Lai, X., Q. Li, P. Y. Qin, B. Wu, and C. H. Liang, "A novel wideband bandpass filter based on complementary split-ring resonator," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 1, 177-184, 2008.
13. Khan, S. N., X. G. Liu, L. X. Shao, and Y. Wang, "Complementary split ring resonators of large stop bandwidth," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 14, 127-132, 2010.
14. Li, M.-H., H.-L. Yang, H. Lin, and B.-X. Xiao, "Compact dual-band band-reject filter using complementary split-ring resonators," Electronics Letters, Vol. 48, No. 10, 574-575, 2012.
15. Cao, H., S. He, H. Li, and S. Yang, "A compact wideband bandpass filter using novel CSRR loaded QMSIW resonator with high selectivity," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 41, 239-254, 2013.
16. Che, W. Q., W. J. Feng, and K. Deng, "Microstrip dual-band bandstop filter of defected ground structure and stepped impedance resonators," International Journal of Electronics, Vol. 97, 1351-1359, 2010.
17. Woo, D.-J., T.-K. Lee, J.-W. Lee, and S.-H. Chao, "Novel U-slot and V-slot DGSs for bandstop filter with improved Q factor," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 54, No. 6, 2840-2847, 2006.
18. Rehman, S. U., A. F. Sheta, and M. Alkanhal, "Compact band-stop filter using defected ground structure (DGS)," International Electronics, Communications and Photonics Conference, SIECPC, 2011.
19. Wang, J., H. Ning, L. Mao, and M. Li, "Miniaturized dual-band bandstop filter using defected microstrip structure and defected ground structure," IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Symposium Digest, 1-3, 2012.
20. Xiao, J.-K. and Y.-F. Zhu, "New U-shaped DGS bandstop filters," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 41, 179-191, 2012.
21. Turkmen, O., E. Ekmekci, and G. Turhan-Sayan, "A new multi-ring SRR type metamaterial design with multiple magnetic resonances," PIERS Proceedings, 315-319, Mar. 20–23, 2011.
22. Smith, D. R., S. Schultz, P. Markos, and M. Soukoulis, "Determination of effective permittivity and permeability of metamaterials from reflection and transmission coefficients," Physical Review B, Vol. 65, 1-5, 2002.
23. Chen, X., T. M. Grzegorczyk, B. I. Wu, J. Pacheco, and J. A. Kong, "Robust method to retrieve the constitutive effective parameters of metamaterials," Physical Review E, Vol. 70, 1-7, 2004.
24. Baena, J. D., et al., "Equivalent-circuit models for split-ring resonators and complementary split-ring resonators coupled to planar transmission lines," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 53, No. 4, 1-7, 2005.