A method to design a miniaturized two-element quasi-Yagi antenna (QYA) with size and gain requirements is presented for portable ultra high frequency (UHF) radio frequency identification (RFID) reader applications. The antenna consists of a driver dipole and a ground reflector, and these elements are serially connected with a coplanar strip line. The ends of both elements are folded back toward each other to reduce the lateral size of the antenna. A detailed design procedure of the proposed antenna is explained, along with a performance comparison for the input impedance, voltage standing wave ratio (VSWR), broadside gain, front-to-back (F/B) ratio, and total efficiency. A prototype antenna, covering the 860―960 MHz UHF RFID band with a gain > 4 dBi, is fabricated on an FR4 substrate with dimensions limited to 90 mm by 90 mm. The total width of the proposed antenna is reduced by approximately 41% compared to the conventional QYA without miniaturization, and an F/B ratio is improved by 1―8 dB in the band. Experiment results show that the proposed antenna has the desired impedance characteristics with a frequency band of 853―1,098 MHz for a VSWR < 2, and a stable broadside gain of 4.0―5.3 dBi in the UHF RFID band. Moreover, a measured F/B ratio > 13 dB is obtained.
2. Qian, Y., W. R. Deal, N. Kaneda, and T. Itoh, "Microstrip-fed quasi-Yagi antenna with broadband characteristics," Electron. Lett., Vol. 34, No. 23, 2194-2196, Nov. 1998.
3. Lee, J.-I. and J. Yeo, "Broadband compact quasi-Yagi antenna for indoor digital TV," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 55, No. 12, 2859-2863, Dec. 2013.
4. Lee, J.-I. and J. Yeo, "Modified broadband quasi-Yagi antenna with enhanced gain and bandwidth," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 55, No. 2, 406-409, Feb. 2013.
5. Finkenzeller, K., RFID Handbook, 2nd Ed., Wiley, New York, 2003.
6. Ukkonen, L., L. Sydanheimo, and M. Kivikoski, "Read range performance comparison of compact reader antennas for a handheld UHF RFID reader [supplement, applications & practice]," IEEE Commun. Mag., Vol. 45, No. 4, 24-31, Apr. 2007.
7. Hua, R. C. and T. G. Ma, "A printed dipole antenna for ultra high frequency (UHF) radio frequency identification (RFID) handheld reader," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 55, No. 12, 3742-3745, Dec. 2007.
8. Nikitin, P. V. and K. V. S. Rao, "Compact Yagi antenna for handheld UHF RFID reader," Proc. IEEE Antennas Propag. Soc. Int. Symp., 1-4, Jul. 2010.
9. Hsu, H. T. and T. J. Huang, "A Koch-shaped log-periodic dipole array (LPDA) antenna for universal ultra-high-frequency (UHF) radio frequency identification (RFID) handheld reader," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 61, No. 9, 4852-4856, Sep. 2013.
10. Hsu, H. T. and T. J. Huang, "A 1 by 2 dual-band antenna array for radio-frequency identification (RFID) handheld reader applications," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 62, No. 10, 5260-5267, Oct. 2014.