In this paper, a novel printed microstrip-fed monopole ultra-wideband (UWB) antenna with triple-notched bands using triple-mode stepped impedance resonator (SIR) is presented. The proposed triple-mode SIR is found to have the advantages of introducing triple-notched bands and providing higher degree of freedom to adjust the resonant frequencies. By coupling the triple-mode SIR beside the microstrip feedline, band-rejected filtering properties around the 5.2 GHz WLAN band, the 6.8 GHz RFID band, and the X-band satellite communication band, are generated. To validate the design concept, a novel compact UWB antenna with three notched bands is designed and measured. Results indicate that the proposed compact antenna not only retains triple band-rejections capability but also owns omni directional radiation patterns across nearly whole operating bandwidth for UWB communications.
2. Naghshvarian-Jahromi, M., "Novel wideband planar fractal monopole antenna," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 56, No. 12, 3844-3849, 2008.
3. Naser-Moghadasi, M., H. Rousta, and B. S. Virdee, "Compact UWB planar monopole antenna," IEEE Antennas Wirel. Propag. Lett., Vol. 8, 1382-1385, 2009.
4. Mazinani, S. M. and H. R. Hassani, "A novel broadband plate-loaded planar monopole antenna," IEEE Antennas Wirel. Propag. Lett., Vol. 8, 1123-1126, 2009.
5. Sun, M., Y. P. Zhang, and Y. Lu, "Miniaturization of planar monopole antenna for ultra-wideband radios," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 58, No. 7, 2420-2422, 2010.
6. Zhao, J.-D., J.-P. Wang, G. Zhang, and J.-L. Lin, "Compact UWB bandpass filter with dual notched bands using E-shaped resonator," IEEE Microw. Wirel. Compon. Lett., Vol. 23, No. 12, 638-640, 2013.
7. Lee, W.-S., D.-Z. Kim, K.-J. Kim, and J.-W. Yu, "Wideband planar monopole antennas with dual band-notched characteristics," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 54, 2800-2806, 2006.
8. Chung, K., J. Kim, and J. Choi, "Wideband microstrip-fed monopole antenna having frequency band-notch function," IEEE Microwave Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 15, 766-768, 2005.
9. Kim, Y. and D. H. Kwon, "CPW-fed planar ultra wideband antenna having a frequency band notch functions," Electron. Lett., Vol. 40, 403-405, 2004.
10. Yin, K. and J. P. Xu, "Compact ultra-wideband antenna with dual bandstop characteristic," Electron. Lett., Vol. 44, 453-454, 2008.
11. Bi, D.-H., Z.-Y. Yu, S.-G. Mo, and X.-C. Yin, "Two new ultra-wideband antennas with 3.4/5.5GHz dual band-notched characteristics," Microwave Opt. Tech. Nol. Lett., Vol. 51, 2942-2945, 2009.
12. Ding, J., Z. Lin, Z. Ying, and S. He, "A compact ultra-wideband slot antenna with multiple notch frequency bands," Microwave Opt. Tech. Nol. Lett., Vol. 49, 3056-3060, 2007.
13. Azim, R., M. T. Islam, J. S. Mandeep, and A. T. Mobashsher, "A planar circular ring ultrawideband antenna with dual band-notched characteristics," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 26, No. 14-15, 2022-2032, 2012.
14. Azim, R., M. T. Islam, and A. T. Mobashsher, "Dual band-notch UWB antenna with single tri-arm resonator," IEEE Antennas Wirel. Propag. Lett., Vol. 13, 670-673, 2014.
15. Dong, Y. D., W. Hong, J. Y. Zhou, and Z. Q. Kuai, "Design and implementation of planar ultrawideband antennas characterized by multiple notched bands," Microwave Opt. Tech. Nol. Lett., Vol. 51, 520-525, 2009.