For the first time, the higher-ordered modes of a stepped-impedance slotline resonator are closely combined for designing the broadband in-phase andout-of-phase power dividers. It was found that the output phases of the two modes can be easily reversed at the same time by changing the direction of their feeding currents. For this configuration, interestingly, a multifunctional power divider which is reconfigurable to produce either in-phase or out-of-phase signals can be easily designed from its passive counterparts by incorporating multiple RF diodes into the output feedlines, leading to significant cost saving and high compactness. The design procedure and equations of the power-dividing structures are discussed.
2. Cohn, S. B., "Slot line on a dielectric substrate," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 17, No. 10, 768-778, 1969.
3. Mariani, E. A., et al., "Slot line characteristics," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 17, No. 12, 1091-1096, 1969.
4. Elazar, G. and M. Kisliuk, "Microstrip linear slot array antenna for X-band," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 36, No. 8, 1144-1147, 1998.
5. Iwasaki, H., K. Kawabata, and K. Yasukawa, "A circularly polarized microstrip antenna using a crossed-slot feed," International Antennas Propag. Symp., 807-810, 1990.
6. Itoh, K. and M. Yamamoto, "A slot-coupled microstrip array antenna with a triplate line feed where parallel-plate mode is suppressed efficiently," International Antennas Propag. Symp., 2135-2138, 1997.
7. Tanaka, T., K. Tsunoda, and M. Aikawa, "New slot-coupled directional couplers between double-sided substrate microstrip lines, and their applications," International Microw. Symp., 579-582, 1998.
8. Ho, C. H., L. Fan, and K. Chang, "Slot-coupled double-sided microstrip interconnects and couplers," International Microw. Symp., 1321-1324, 1993.
9. Behdad, N. and K. Sarabandi, "A wide-band slot antenna design employing a fictitious short circuit concept," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 53, No. 1, 475-482, 2005.
10. Huang, X. D., C. H. Cheng, and L. Zhu, "An ultrawideband (UWB) slotline antenna under multiple-mode resonance," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 60, No. 1, 385-389, 2012.
11. Aikawa, M. and H. Ogawa, "A new MIC magic-T using coupled slotlines," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 28, No. 6, 523-528, 1980.
12. Cheng, Y. J., et al., "A hybrid guided-wave structure of half mode substrate integrated waveguide and conductor-backed slotline and its application in directional couplers," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 21, No. 2, 66-67, 2011.
13. Bialkowski, M. E. and A. M. Abbosh, "Design of a compact UWB out-of-phase power divider," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 17, No. 4, 289-291, 2007.
14. Bialkowski, M. E. and Y. Wang, "Wideband microstrip 180◦ hybrid utilizing ground slots," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 20, No. 9, 495-497, 2010.
15. Bialkowski, M. E. and Y.Wang, "UWB planar out-of-phase Wilkinson power divider utilizing UWB ±90◦ phase shifters in microstrip-slot technology," Asia-Pacific Microw. Conference Proceedings, 1138-1141, 2011.
16. High Frequency Structure Simulator (HFSS), Ansoft, 2015, .