This paper presents the Social Network Optimization, a new population based algorithm inspired by the recent explosion of social networks and their capability to drive people's decision making process in everyday life. Early experimental studies have already proven the SNO effectiveness in the optimized design of planar and conformal antennas. Here this novel optimization procedure is described in detail, tested and compared with other traditional evolutionary algorithms, and finally used for the design of different microwave circuits.
2. Zhang, Q. and Y. Lu, "Dimensional synthesis of symmetric wideband waveguide cross-coupled flters without global full-wave optimization," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 58, No. 12, 3742-3748, Dec. 2010.
3. Amari, S., "Synthesis of cross-coupled resonator lters using an analytical gradient-based optimization technique," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 48, No. 9, 1559-1564, Sep. 2000.
4. Bekheit, M., S. Amari, and W. Menzel, "Modeling and optimization of compact microwave bandpass filters," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 56, No. 2, 420-430, Feb. 2008.
5. Hennings, A., E. Semouchkina, A. Baker, and G. Semouchkin, "Design optimization and implementation of bandpass lters with normally fed microstrip resonators loaded by high-permittivity dielectric," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 54, No. 3, 1253-1261, Mar. 2006.
6. Torn, A. and A. Zilinskas, Global Optimization, Springer-Verlag New York, Inc., New York, NY, USA, 1989.
7. Goldberg, D. E., Genetic Algorithms in Search, Optimization and Machine Learning, 1st Edition, Addison-Wesley Longman Publishing Co., Inc., Boston, MA, USA , 1989.
8. Michielssen, E., J.-M. Sajer, S. Ranjithan, and R. Mittra, "Design of lightweight, broad-band microwave absorbers using genetic algorithms," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 41, No. 6, 1024-1031, Jun. 1993.
9. Lai, M.-I. and S.-K. Jeng, "Compact microstrip dual-band bandpass lters design using genetic-algorithm techniques," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 54, No. 1, 160-168, Jan. 2006.
10. Gai, K. and S. Li, "Towards cloud computing: A literature review on cloud computing and its development trends," 2012 Fourth International Conference on Multimedia Information Networking and Security (MINES), 142-146, Nov. 2012.
11. Grimaccia, F., M. Mussetta, and aR. Zich, "Genetical swarm optimization: Self-adaptive hybrid evolutionary algorithm for electromagnetics," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 55, No. 3, 781-785, Mar. 2007.
12. Albi, R., F. Grimaccia, M. Mussetta, A. Niccolai, and R. Zich, "A new algorithm for antenna optimization in aerospace applications: The sounding rocket test case," 2013 International Conference on Electromagnetics in Advanced Applications (ICEAA), 1537-1540, Sep. 2013.
13. Grimaccia, F., M. Mussetta, A. Niccolai, P. Pirinoli, and R. Zich, "Recently developed social-based algorithms for antennas optimization," International Conference on Numerical Electromagnetic Modeling and Optimization (NEMO), 1-4, Pavia, Italy, May 2014.
14. Simon, D., Biogeography-based optimization, Vol. 12, No. 6, 702-713, IEEE Transactions on Evolutionary Computation, Dec. 2008.
15. Eberhart, R. and Y. Shi, "Special issue on particle swarm optimization," IEEE Transactions on Evolutionary Computation, Vol. 8, No. 3, 201-203, Jun. 2004.
16. Storn, R., "System design by constraint adaptation and differential evolution," IEEE Transactions on Evolutionary Computation, Vol. 3, No. 1, 22-34, Apr. 1999.
17. Khatib, W. and P. Fleming, "The stud ga: A mini revolution?," Parallel Problem Solving from Nature — PPSN V, Lecture Notes in Computer Science, A. Eiben, T. Bck, M. Schoenauer, and H.-P Schwefel (eds.), Vol. 1498, 683–691, Springer Berlin Heidelberg, 1998.
18. Collin, R., Foundations for Microwave Engineering, Wiley, 2001.
19. Selleri, S., M. Mussetta, P. Pirinoli, R. Zich, and L. Matekovits, "Some insight over new variations of the particle swarm optimization method," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 5, No. 1, 235-238, Dec. 2006.
20. Mussetta, M., S. Selleri, P. Pirinoli, R. E. Zich, and L. Matekovits, "Improved particle swarm optimization algorithms for electromagnetic optimization," Journal of Intelligent and Fuzzy Systems, Vol. 19, No. 1, 75-84, 2008.