An internal dual-band flexible antenna is described. The antenna employs a rectangular patch to improve the interrogation range (above 100 mm) for near-field communications (NFC), as well as the passive average gain performance (above -20 dBi) for FM radio. A preliminary prototype antenna exhibits an interrogation range of 110 mm at 13.56 MHz and a passive average gain performance from -15.6 to -13.5 dBi in the range 86-108 MHz, while demonstrating an omnidirectional radiation pattern for FM radio applications.
2. Mujal, J., E. Ramon, E. Diaz, J. Carrabina, A. Calleja, R.Martinez, and L. Teres, "Inkjet printed antennas for NFC systems," 2010 17th IEEE International Conference on Electronic, Circuits, and Systems (ICECS), 1220-1223, 2010.
3. Brown, T. W. C. and T. Diakos, "On the design of NFC antennas for contactless payment applications," Proceedings of the 5th European Conference on Antennas and Propag. (EUCAP), 44-47, 2011.
4. Gebhart, M. and R. Szoncso, "Optimizing design of smaller antennas for proximity transponders," 2010 Second International Workshop on Near Field Communication (NFC), 77-82, 2010.
5. Lindberg, P. and A. Kaikkonen, "Internal active antennas for FM radio reception in mobile handsets," Proceedings of the 2th European Conference on Antennas and Propag. (EUCAP), 1-10, 2007.
6. Lindberg, P., S. Irmscher, and A. Kaikkonen, "Electrically small receive only resonant antenna with wideband performance for FM radio reception in mobile phones," International Workshop Antenna Technology (iWAT), 1-4, 2010.
7. Park, J. K., Y. H. Choi, J. M. Kim, S. H. Kim, and J. S. Yoo, "FM radio chip antenna using magneto-dielectric," Asia-Pacific Microwave Conference (APMC), 1-3, 2007.
8. Aguilar, D., J. Anguera, C. Puente, and M. Ribo, "Small handset antenna for FM reciption," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 50, No. 10, 2677-2683, Oct. 2006.
9. Devore, R. and P. Bohley, "The electrically small magnetically loaded multi-turn loop antenna," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 25, No. 4, 495-505, Jul. 1977.
10. Balanis, C. A., Antenna Theory, 2nd Edition, Wiley, 1997.
11. King, R. W. P. and G. S. Smith, Antenna in Matter., MIT Press, Cambridge, MA, 1981.
12. Bae, S., Y. K. Hong, J. J. Lee, J. Jalli, G. S. Abo, W. M. Sung, G. H. Kim, S. H. Park, J. S. Kum, and H. M. Kwon, "Co2Z Hexaferrite T-DMB antenna for mobile phone applications," IEEE Trans. Magnetics, Vol. 45, No. 10, 4199-4202, Oct. 2009.
13. Borja, C., J. Anguera, C. Puente, and J. Verges, "How much can be reduced the internal FM antenna of mobiles phones?," European Conference on Antennas and Propagation (EUCAP), 12-16, 2010.