A metamaterial inspired co-planar waveguide (CPW) fed compact low-pass filter is presented in this paper. The 3 dB cut off frequency of the filter is 1.4 GHz. The roll-off rate achieved for this filter is 47.4 dB/GHz. Sharp roll-off is obtained by introducing an additional resonance using an inductor in series with the shunt capacitor. The usage of chip inductor also results in a compact filter structure. The overall filter dimensions are 39 mm x 32 mm x 1.6 mm. The filter uses defected ground structure (DGS) for attaining stop band attenuation. The measured insertion loss of the filter in the pass band is less than 0.8 dB and average stop band attenuation is better than 23 dB. The equivalent circuit of the proposed filter is similar to that of a dual-CRLH (D-CRLH) transmission line.
2. Liu, H. W., Z. F. Li, X. W. Sun, and J. F. Mao, "An improved 1-D periodic defected ground structure for microstrip line," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 14, No. 4, 180-182, 2004.
3. Kufa, M. and Z. Raida, "Low pass filter with reduced fractal defected ground structure," Electronics Letters, Vol. 49, No. 3, 899-900, 2013.
4. Xu, H. X., G. M. Wang, C. X. Zhang, and Q. Peng, "Hilbert shaped complementary single split ring resonator and low-pass filter with ultra wide stopband, excellent selectivity and low insertion-loss," International Journal of Electronics and Communications, Vol. 65, No. 11, 901-905, 2011.
5. Xu, H. X., G. M. Wang, Z. M. Xu, X. Chen, Z. Yu, and L. Geng, "Dual shunt branch circuit and harmonic suppressed device application," Applied Physics A, Vol. 108, No. 2, 497-502, 2012.
6. Xu, H. X., G. M. Wang, C. X. Zhang, and X. Wang, "Characterization of composite right/left handed transmission line," Electronics Letters, Vol. 47, No. 18, 1030-1032, 2011.
7. Xu, , H. X., G. M. Wang, C. X. Zhang, and Q. Peng, "Complementary metamaterial transmission line for monoband and dual-band bandpass filters application," International Journal of RF and Microwave Computer-Aided Engineering, Vol. 22, No. 2, 200-210, 2012.
8. Caloz, C., "Dual composite right/left handed (D-CRLH) transmission line metamaterial," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 16, No. 11, 585-587, 2006.
9. Park, J. H., Y. H. Ryu, J. G. Lee, and J. H. Lee, "Epsilon negative zeroth order resonator antenna," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 55, No. 12, 3710-3712, 2007.
10. Wadell, B. C., Transmission Line Design Handbook, Artech House Inc., Norwood, 1991.
11. Ahn, D., J. S. Park, C. S. Kim, J. Kim, Y. Qian, and T. Itoh, "A design of the low pass filter using the novel microstrip defected ground structure," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 49, No. 1, 86-93, 2001.
12. Yang, J. and W. Wu, "Compact elliptic function low pass filter using defected ground structure," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 18, No. 9, 578-580, 2008.
13. Chen, H. J., T. H. Huang, C. S. Chang, L. S. Chen, N. F. Wang, Y. H. Wang, and M. P. Houng, "A novel cross shape DGS applied to design ultra wide stopband low pass filters," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 16, No. 5, 252-254, 2006.