This work addresses the low-pass equivalent behavioral modeling of radio frequency (RF) power amplifiers (PAs) for modern wireless communication systems. Similar to a previous approach, here the PA behavioral modeling is based on two independent real-valued feed-forward artificial neural networks (ANNs). A careful analysis is first presented to show that the nonlinear training algorithm for the previous ANN-based approach can be easily trapped into local minima, especially for the ANN that estimates the polar angle component of a complex-valued signal. Then, a modified ANNbased model is proposed to eliminate the local minimum problem, in this way significantly improving the modeling accuracy. Indeed, in the proposed model the two real-valued ANNs are responsible for estimating the in-phase and quadrature components of a complex-valued base-band signal. When applied to the behavioral modeling of a GaN HEMT class AB PA, the proposed ANN-based model reduces normalized mean-square error (NMSE) by up to 2.2 dB, in comparison with the previous ANN-based model having an equal number of network parameters.
2. Raab, H., P. Asbeck, S. Cripps, P. B. Kenington, Z. B. Popovic, N. Pothecary, J. F. Sevic, and N. O. Sokal, "Power amplifiers and transmitters for RF and microwave," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 50, No. 3, 814-826, 2002.
3. Cripps, S., RF Power Amplifiers for Wireless Communications, Artech House, Norwood, 2006.
4. Piazzon, L., R. Giofre, P. Colantonio, and F. Giannini, "A method for designing broadband Doherty power amplifiers," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 145, 319-331, 2014.
5. Kim, J. and Y. Park, "Design of a compact and broadband inverse class-F-1 power amplifier," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 46, 75-81, 2014.
6. Kenington, P. B., High Linearity RF Amplifier Design, Artech House, Norwood, 2000.
7. Pedro, J. C. and S. A. Maas, "A comparative overview of microwave and wireless power-amplifier behavioral modeling approaches," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 53, No. 4, 1150-1163, 2005.
8. Wang, H., H. Ma, and J. Chen, "A multi-status behavioral model for the elimination of electrothermal memory effect in DPD system," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 47, 103-109, 2014.
9. Sun, G., C. Yu, Y. Liu, S. Li, and J. Li, "An accurate complexity-reduced simplified Volterra series for RF power amplifiers," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 47, 157-166, 2014.
10. Liu, T., S. Boumaiza, and F. M. Ghannouchi, "Dynamic behavioral modeling of 3G power amplifiers using real-valued time-delay neural networks," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 52, No. 3, 1025-1033, 2004.
11. Isaksson, M., D. Wisell, and D. Ronnow, "Wide-band dynamic modeling of power amplifiers using radial-basis function neural networks," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 53, No. 11, 3422-3428, 2005.
12. Lima, E. G., T. R. Cunha, and J. C. Pedro, "A physically meaningful neural network behavioral model for wireless transmitters exhibiting PM-AM/PM-PM distortions," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 59, No. 12, 3512-3521, 2011.
13. Chipansky Freire, L. B., C. de Franca, and E. G. de Lima, "Low-pass equivalent behavioral modeling of RF power amplifiers using two independent real-valued feed-forward neural networks," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 52, 125-133, 2014.
14. Jeruchim, M. C., P. Balaban, and K. S. Shanmugan, Simulation of Communication Systems --- Modeling, Methodology, and Techniques, Kluwer Academic/Plenum Publishers, New York, 2000.
15. Benedetto, S., E. Biglieri, and R. Daffara, "Modeling and performance evaluation of nonlinear satellite links — A Volterra series approach," IEEE Trans. Aerosp. Electron. Syst., Vol. 15, No. 4, 494-507, 1979.
16. Haykin, S., Neural Networks: A Comprehensive Foundation, Prentice Hall, New Jersey, 1999.
17. Chen, S., C. F. N. Cowan, and P. M. Grant, "Orthogonal least squares learning algorithm for radial basis function networks," IEEE Trans. Neural Netw., Vol. 2, No. 2, 302-309, 1991.
18. Isaksson, M., D. Wisell, and D. Ronnow, "A comparative analysis of behavioral models for RF power amplifiers," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 54, No. 1, 348-359, 2006.