In this paper, a compact dielectric resonator antenna (DRA) with bandnotched characteristics for ultra-wideband applications is presented. A comprehensive parametric study was carried out using CST Microwave Studio suite TM 2011 to analyze and optimize the characteristics of the proposed antenna. Three shapes for the coupling slot were investigated. Simulation results show that the proposed DRA had a -10 dB impedance bandwidth of 23% from 9.97 GHz to 12.558 GHz, and a maximum gain of 7.23 dBi. The antenna had a notched band centered at 10.57 GHz, which increased the reflection coefficient by 23.5 dB, and reduced the gain by 6.12 dB. The optimized designs were verified by experimental tests on fabricated samples.
2. Lee, M. T., K. M. Luk, E. K. N. Yung, and K. W. Leung, "Microstrip-line feed circularly polarized cylindrical dielectric resonator antenna," Microwaves and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 24, No. 3, 206-207, 2000.
3. Menon, S. K., et al., "Wideband cylindrical dielectric resonator antenna excited using an L-strip feed," Microwaves and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 42, No. 4, 293-294, 2004.
4. Song, Y. and A. R. Sebak, "Radiation pattern of aperture coupled prolate hemispheroidal dielectric resonator antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 58, 115-133, 2006.
5. Albooyeh, M., N. Komjani, and M. Shobeyri, "A novel cross-slot geometry to improve impedance bandwidth of microstrip antennas," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 4, 63-72, 2008.
6. Thamae, L. Z. and W. Zhipeng, "Broadband bowtie dielectric resonator antenna," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 58, No. 11, 3707-3710, 2010.
7. Zou, L., D. Abbot, and C. Fumeaux, "Omnidirectional cylindrical dielectric resonator antenna with dual polarization," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 11, 515-518, 2012.
8. Mehak, G. and S. K. Sharma, "Wide-bandwidth dielectric resonator antenna with omni-directional radiation patterns for beam focusing properties in a circular array," International Journal of RF and Microwave Computer-Aided Engineering, Vol. 24, No. 1, 92-101, 2014.
9. Mongia, R. K. and P. Bhartia, "Dielectric resonator antennas — A review and general design relations for resonant frequency and bandwidth," International Journal of Microwave and Millimeter-Wave Computer-Aided Engineering, Vol. 4, No. 3, 230-247, 1994.
10. Fang, X. S. and K. W. Leung, "Designs of single-, dual-, wide-band rectangular dielectric resonator antennas," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 59, No. 6, 2049-2014, Jun. 2011.
11. Pan, Y. M. and K. W. Leung, "Wideband omnidirectional circularly polarized resonator antenna with parasitic strips," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 60, No. 6, 2992-2997, 2012.
12. Maknikar, R. D. and V. G. Kasabegoudar, "Circularly polarized cross-slot-coupled stacked dielectric resonator antenna for wireless applications," International Journal of Wireless Communications and Mobile Computing, Vol. 1, 68-73, 2013.
13. Majeed, A. H., A. S. Abdullah, F. Elmegri, K. H. Sayidmarie, R. A. Abd-Alhameed, and J. M. Noras, "Aperture-coupled asymmetric dielectric resonators antenna for wideband applications," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 13, 927-930, 2014.
14. Mudavath, S., R. Kumari, and S. K. Behera, "A compact CPW fed stacked cylindrical dielectric resonator antenna for WLAN applications," The 2012 International Conference on Computing, Electronics and Electrical Technologies (ICCEET), 818-820, Kumaracoil, Mar. 21–22, 2012.
15. Elmegri, F., C. H. See, R. A. Abd-Alhameed, C. Zebiri, and P. S. Excell, "Dielectric resonator antenna design for UWB applications," The 2013 Loughborough Conference on Antennas and Propagations (LAPC), 539-542, Loughborough, Nov. 11–12, 2013.
16. Wang, Y. F., T. A. Denidni, Q. S. Zeng, and G. Wei, "Band-notched UWB rectangular dielectric resonator antenna," Electronics Letters, Vol. 50, No. 7, 483-484, 2014.
17. Liu, Y., M. Wei, H. Liu, and S. Gong, "A novel compact three-port dielectric resonator antenna with reconfigurable pattern for WLAN systems," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 47, 37-45, 2014.
18. Petosa, A., Dielectric Resonator Antenna Handbook, Artech House Publishers, 2007.
19. Lee, W. S., D. Z. Kim, K. J. Kim, and J. W. Yu, "Wide-band planar monopole antennas with dual band-notched characteristics," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory & Techniques, Vol. 54, No. 3, 2800-2806, 2008.
20. Li, Y. S., X. D. Yang, C. Y. Liu, and T. Jiang, "Compact CPW-fed ultrawideband antenna with dual band-notched characteristics," Electronics Letters, Vol. 46, No. 14, 967-968, 2010.
21. Jiang, J. B., Z. H. Yan, and J. Y. Zhang, "Dual band-notched ultra-wideband printed antenna with two different typed slots," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 52, No. 9, 1930-1933, 2010.
22. Chu, , Q.-X. and T.-G. Huang, "Compact UWB antenna with sharp band-notched characteristics for lower WLAN band," Electronics Letters, Vol. 47, No. 15, 838-839, 2011.
23. Nguyen, D. T., D. H. Lee, and H. C. Park, "Very compact printed triple band-notched UWB antenna with quarter-wavelength slots," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 11, 411-414, 2012.
24. Wang, J. W., J. Y. Pan, X. N. Xiao, and Y. Q. Sun, "A band-notched UWB antenna with L-shaped slots and open-loop resonator," The 2013 IEEE International Conference on Applied Superconductivity and Electromagnetic Devices (ASEMD), 312-315, Beijing, Oct. 25–27, 2013.
25. Zhang, C., J. Zhang, and L. Li, "Triple band-notched UWB antenna based on SIR-DGS and fork-shaped stubs," Electronics Letters, Vol. 50, No. 2, 67-69, 2014.
26. Sayidmarie, K. H. and T. A. Najm, "Performance evaluation of band notch techniques for printed dual band monopole antennas," International Journal of Electromagnetics and Applications, Vol. 3, No. 4, 70-80, 2013.
27. Jahanbakht, M. and A. A. L. Neyestanak, "A survey on recent approaches in the design of band notching UWB antennas," Journal of Electromagnetic Analysis and Applications, Vol. 4, 77-84, 2012.
28. Zhu, F., S. Gao, A. T. Ho, R. Abd-Alhameed, C. H. See, T. W. C. Brown, J. Li, G. Wei, and J. Xu, "Multiple band-notched UWB antenna with band-rejected elements integrated in the feed line," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 61, No. 8, 3952-3960, 2013.
29., "CST: Computer simulation technology based on FIT method,", CST Computer Simulation Technology AG, 2011.
30. Kishk, A., et al., "Slot excitation of the dielectric disk radiator," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagations, Vol. 43, No. 2, 198-201, Feb. 1995.
31. Ren, L.-S., F. Li, J.-J. Zhao, G. Zhao, and Y.-C. Jiao, "Compact printed ultra wideband monopole antenna with dual band-notched characteristics," Journal of Electromagnetics Waves and Applications, Vol. 24, 1521-159, 2010.