In this paper, three commonly used on-ground antenna types (loop, monopole and planar inverted-F antenna) are compared in the scope of wireless body area networks (WBAN) for on-body communications at 2.45 GHz. The bandwidth of the antennas can be enhanced by placing them towards the edge or the corner of the small ground plane (25 × 35 mm2) which has, as a consequence, detrimental effects on radiation characteristics that motivates the examination of the impact of feeding location for on-body propagation in detail. The present study quantifies the trade-off between on-body efficiency, the gain in the direction tangential to the surface, applicability to launch creeping waves and bandwidth potential of the different antenna types with various feeding locations. The simulated channel gain |S11| around tissue-equivalent numerical phantoms is compared to an analytical WBAN path loss model.
2. Hall, P. S. and Y. Hao, Antennas and Propagation for Body-Centric Wireless Communications, 2nd edition, Artech House, Norwood, 2012.
3. Alves, T., B. Poussot, and J.-M. Laheurte, "PIFA-top-loaded-monopole antenna with diversity features for WBAN applications," IEEE Antennas Wirel. Propag. Lett., Vol. 10, 693-696, 2011.
4. Conway, G. A. and W. G. Scanlon, "Antennas for over-body-surface communication at 2.45 GHz," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 57, No. 4, 844-855, 2009.
5. Paknys, R. and N. Wang, "Creeping wave propagation constants and modal impedance for a dielectric coated cylinder," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 34, No. 5, 674-680, 1986.
6. Alves, T., B. Poussot, and J.-M. Laheurte, "Analytical propagation modeling of BAN channels based on the creeping-wave theory," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 57, No. 4, 1269-1274, 2011.
7. Fort, A., F. Keshmiri, G. R. Crusats, C. Craeye, and C. Oestges, "A body area propagation model derived from fundamental principles: Analytical analysis and comparison with measurements," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 58, No. 2, 503-514, 2010.
8. Lin, C. H., K. Saito, M. Takahashi, and K. Ito, "A compact planar inverted-F antenna for 2.45GHz on-body communications," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 60, No. 9, 4422-4426, 2012.
9. Soh, P. J., G. A. E. Vandenbosch, S. L. Ooi, and N. H. M. Rais, "Design of a broadband all-textile slotted PIFA," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 60, No. 1, 379-384, 2012.
10. Kvist, S. H., J. Thaysen, and K. J. Jakobsen, "Polarization of unbalanced antennas for ear-to-ear on-body communications at 2.45GHz," Proc. 7th Loughborough Antennas Propag. Conf. (LAPC), 1-4, United Kingdom, Nov. 2011.
11. Khandra, R. and A. J. Johansson, "Influence on the ear-to ear link loss from heterogeneous propagation channel," Proc. 5th Europ. Conf. Antennas Propag. (EuCAP), 1612-1615, Rome, Italy, Apr. 2014.
12. Grimm, M. and D. Manteuffel, "Far field modeling of body worn antennas by the superposition of equivalent electric sources," Proc. 8th Europ. Conf. Antennas Propag., 1754-1755, Hague, Netherlands, Apr. 2014.
13. Tuovinen, T., M. Berg, and E. Salonen, "The effect of antenna pattern and polarization for launching creeping waves on a skin surface," Proc. Europ. Conf. Antennas Propag. (EuCAP), 1960-1963, Netherlands, Apr. 2014.
14. Tuovinen, T., M. Berg, and E. Salonen, "Antenna close to tissue: avoiding radiation pattern minima with anisotropic substrate," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 13, 1680-1683, 2014.
15. Grimm, M. and D. Manteuffel, "Norton surfaces waves in the scope of body area networks," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 62, No. 5, 2616-2623, 2014.
16. Bluetooth low energy regulatory aspects, bluetooth SIG regulatory committee, , V10r00, 2011.
17. Tuovinen, T., M. Berg, W. G. Whittow, and E. Salonen, "Performance of WBAN on-ground antenna type with relation to analytical path loss model," Proc. of 10th Loughborough Antennas Propag. Conf. (LAPC), UK, 2014.
18. Ilvonen, J., O. Kivek¨as, J. Holopainen, R. Valkonen, K. Rasilainen, and P. Vainikainen, "Mobile terminal antenna performance with the user’s hand: Effect of antenna dimensioning and location," IEEE Antennas Wirel. Propag. Lett., Vol. 10, 772-775, 2011.
19. Vainikainen, P., J. Ollikainen, O. Kivek¨as, and I. Kelander, "Resonator-based analysis of the combination of mobile handset antenna and chassis," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 50, No. 10, 1433-1444, 2002.
20. Krogerus, J., J. Toivanen, C. Icheln, and P. Vainikainen, "Effect of the human body on total radiated power and the 3-D radiation pattern of mobile handsets," IEEE Trans. Instrum. Meas., Vol. 56, No. 6, 2375-2385, 2007.
21. Computer Simulation Technology Microwave Studio Software, Online Available: http://www.cst.com, .