Nowadays the mobile personal communication systems and wireless networks are commonly used. Experience has revealed that the antennas suitable for these applications should have small size and operate in assigned different frequency bands. For this purpose, circularly polarized (CP) multi-band square microstrip antenna with three N-slots and a pair of truncated corners is proposed, designed and simulated. To reduce the losses and improve the antenna efficiency in addition to the bandwidth, an efficient electromagnetic band gap (EBG) structure is introduced. The proposed antenna has produced a higher efficiency, an improved operational bandwidth, and a higher gain relative to the conventional microstrip antenna.
2. Garg, R., P. Bhartia, I. Bahl, and A. Ittipiboon, Microstrip Antenna Design, Artech House, Norwood, MA, 2001.
3. Chen, Y. and C. F. Wang, "Characteristic-mode-based improvement of circularly polarized U-slot and E-shaped patch antennas," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 11, 1474-1477, 2012.
4. Shaalan, A. A., "Design and simulation of a single feed dual-band (symmetrical/asymmetrical) U-slot patch antenna," XLIV International Scientific Conference, Information, Communication and Energy Systems and Technologies (ICEST 2009), Veliko Tarnovo, Bulgaria, 2009.
5. Tong, K. F., K. M. Luk, K. F. Lee, and R. Q. Lee, "A broadband U-slot rectangular patch antenna on a microwave substrate," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagation, Vol. 48, 954-960, 2000.
6. Ang, B.-K. and B.-K. Chung, "A wideband E-shaped microstrip patch antenna for 5–6 GHz wireless communications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 75, 397-407, 2007.
7. Liu, W. C., "Design of a probe-fed H-shaped microstrip antenna for circular polarization," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 21, No. 7, 857-864, 2007.
8. Rastogi, P. and K. Cecil, "S and C bands multilayer T-slots photonic band gap micro strip antenna," IOSR Journal of Engineering, Vol. 2, No. 4, 773-776, 2012.
9. Tlili, B., "Design of C-slot microstrip patch antenna for WiMAX application," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagation, Vol. 16, 521-524, 2009.
10. Jolani, F. and A. M. Dadgarpour, "Compact M-slot folded patch antenna for WLAN," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 3, 35-42, 2008.
11. Yablonovitch, E., "Photonic band-gap structures," Journal Optical Society of America, Vol. 10, No. 1, 283-295, 1993.
12. Brown, E. R., C. D. Parker, and E. Yablonovitch, "Radiation properties of a planar antenna on a photonic-crystal substrate," Journal Optical Society of America, Vol. 10, No. 2, 404-407, 1993.
13. Sievenpiper, D. F., "High impedance electromagnetic surfaces,", Ph.D. Dissertation, Electrical Engineering Department, University of California, Los Angeles, 1999.
14. Yang, F. and Y. Rahmat-Samii, Electromagnetic Band Gap Structures in Antenna Engineering, Cambridge University Press, New York, 2008.
15. Guo, S., "Plane wave expansion method for photonic band-gap calculation using matlab,", Ph.D. Dissertation, Department of Electrical & Computer Engineering, Old Dominion University, 2001.
16. Meade, R. D., K. D. Brommer, A. M. Rappe, and J. D. Joannopoulos, "Existence of a photonic band gap in two dimensions," Appl. Phys. Lett., Vol. 61, 495, 1992.
17. Weily, A. R., K. P. Esselle, B. C. Sanders, and T. S. Bird, "A woodpile EBG sectoral horn antenna," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagation, Vol. 51, No. 10, 323-326, 2005.
18. Herbertz, K., "Design and characterization of electromagnetic bandgap filters,", Ph.D. Dissertation, Optical and Semiconductor Devices Group, Department of Electrical and Electronic Engineering, Imperial College London, 2010.
19. Barakat, A. and M. El-Khamy, "Bandwidth extension of UWB planar antenna with band-notched characteristics," IEEE APS, Middle East Conference on Antennas and Propagation (MECAP), 1-5, 2010.
20. Ahmed, M. F., A. A. Shaalan, and K. H. Awadalla, "Multi-band novel circularly polarized compact microstrip antenna for applications in modern wireless communications," The 30th National Radio Science Conference, NRSC 2013, Vol. 32, 56-63, Egypt, 2013.
21. Munson, R. E., "Conformal microstrip antennas and microstrip phased arrays," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagation, Vol. 22, 74-78, 1974.
22. Ansoft Corporation, Ansoft High Frequency Structure Simulator v9 User’s Guide, USA, 2013.
23. Computer Simulation Technology Corporation, CST Licensing Guide 2010, 2010.
24. Anguera, J., L. Boada, C. Puente, C. Borja, and J. Soler, "Stacked H-shaped microstrip patch antenna," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagation, Vol. 52, No. 4, 983-993, April 2004.
25. Chaloupka, H., Chaloupka, N. Klein, M. Peiniger, H. Piel, A. Pischke, and G. Splitt, "Miniaturized high-temperature superconductor microstrip patch antenna," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 39, No. 9, 1513-1521, 1991.
26. Anguera, J., I. Sanz, J. Mumbu, and C. Puente, "Multi-band handset antenna with a parallel excitation of PIFA and slot radiators," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagation, Vol. 58, No. 2, 348-356, Feb. 2010.
27. Anguera, J., A. And´jar, M.C. Huynh, C. Orlenius, C. Picher, and C. Puente, "Advances in antenna technology for wireless handheld devices," International Journal on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 2013, Article ID 838364, 2013.