Slotted waveguide antenna (SWA) arrays offer clear advantages in terms of their design, weight, volume, power handling, directivity, and efficiency. For broadwall SWAs, the slot displacements from the wall centerline determine the antenna's sidelobe level (SLL). This paper presents a simple inventive procedure for the design of broadwall SWAs with desired SLLs. For a specified number of identical longitudinal slots, and given the required SLL and operating frequency, this procedure finds the slots length, width, locations along the length of the waveguide, and displacements from the centerline. Compared to existing methods, this procedure is much simpler as it uses a uniform length for all the slots and employs closed-form equations for the calculation of the displacements. A computer program has been developed to perform the design calculations and generate the needed slots data. Illustrative examples, based on Taylor, Chebyshev and the binomial distributions are given. In these examples, elliptical slots are considered, since their rounded corners are more robust for high power applications. A prototype SWA has been fabricated and tested, and the results are in accordance with the design objectives.
2. Mailloux, R. J., Phased Array Antenna Handbook, Artech House, 2005.
3. Rueggeberg, W., "A multislotted waveguide antenna for high-powered microwave heating systems," IEEE Trans. Ind. Applicat., Vol. 16, No. 6, 809-813, 1980.
4. Elliott, R. S. and L. A. Kurtz, "The design of small slot arrays," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 26, 214-219, March 1978.
5. Elliott, R. S., "The design of traveling wave fed longitudinal shunt slot arrays," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 27, No. 5, 717-720, September 1979.
6. Stevenson, A. F., "Theory of slots in rectangular waveguides," Journal of Applied Physics, Vol. 19, 24-38, 1948.
7. Elliott, R. S., "An improved design procedure for small arrays of shunt slots," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 31, 48-53, January 1983.
8. Elliott, R. S. and W. R. O’Loughlin, "The design of slot arrays including internal mutual coupling," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 34, 1149-1154, September 1986.
9. Elliott, R. S., "Longitudinal Shunt Slots in Rectangular Waveguide: Part I, Theory,", Tech. Rep., Rantec Report No. 72022-TN-1, Rantec, Calabasas, CA, USA.
10. Baum, C. E., "Sidewall waveguide slot antenna for high power," Sensor and Simulation Note, Vol. 503, August 2005.
11. Al-Husseini, M., A. El-Hajj, and K. Y. Kabalan, "High-gain S-band slotted waveguide antenna arrays with elliptical slots and low sidelobe levels," PIERS Proceedings, Stockholm, Sweden, August 12-15, 2013.
12. Tai, C. T., Characteristics of Liner Antenna Elements, Antenna Engineering Handbook, H. Jasik (ed.), McGraw-Hill, 1961.
13. Oliner, A. A., "The impedance properties of narrow radiating slots in the broad face of rectangular waveguides," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 5, No. 1, 4-11, 1957.
14. Stegen, R. J., "Longitudinal shunt slot characteristics," Hughes Technical Memorandum, Vol. 261, 4-20, Culver City, CA, November 1951.
15. Stevenson, R. J., "Theory of slots in rectangular waveguide," J. App. Phy., Vol. 19, 4-20, 1948.
16. Watson, W. H., "Resonant slots," Journal of the Institution of Electrical Engineers — Part IIIA: Radiolocation, Vol. 93, 747-777, 1946.
17. Coburn, W., M. Litz, J. Miletta, N. Tesny, L. Dilks, C. Brown, and B. King, "A slotted-waveguide array for high-power microwave transmission,", Army Research Laboratory, January 2001.
18. Cullen, A. L., "Laterally displaced slot in rectangular waveguide," Wireless Eng., 3-10, January 1949.
19. Hung, K. L. and H. T. Chou, "A design of slotted waveguide antenna array operated at X-band," IEEE international Conference on Wireless Information Technology and System, 1-4, 2010.
20. Safaai-Jazi, A., "A new formulation for the design of Chebyshev arrays," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 42, 439-443, 1980.
21. El-Hajj, A., K. Y. Kabalan, and M. Al-Husseini, "Generalized Chebyshev arrays," Radio Science, Vol. 40, RS3010, June 2005.
22. Taylor, T. T., "One parameter family of line-sources producing modified sin(πu)/πu patterns," Hughes Aircraft Co. Tech., Mem. 324, Culver City, Calif., Contract AF 19(604)-262-F-14, September 4, 1953.
23. Balanis, C. A., Antenna Theory Analysis and Design, Wiley, 2005.
24. Kabalan, K. Y., A. El-Hajj, and M. Al-Husseini, "The bessel planar arrays," Radio Science, Vol. 39, No. 1, RS1005, January 2004.